[POLL] Mount Skins Distribution - A Serious Poll

Just make the skins tradable. This will solve everything. Then players can gamble with gems all they want, and sell the skins they don't need for gold.

And all other players can get the new mount skins from TP using gold against current market prices. (Supply/demand)

Players who want to cherrypick mount skins for gems, can then just exchange gems for gold and buy the mounts from TP.

And ANet gets taxes on all currency exchanges. Everyone happy?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Vadeil.3924 said:

> > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

>

> > Halloween mounts are not rng and have 400 gem price.

>

> Halloween mounts were a discounted bundle not sold separately.

>

>

We may consider an option to actually bundle skins like this. It's clear some of current mount pack skins are very similar in design, clearly they were made as one pack at some point in time.

To me ( i try to understand ANET's point of view ) the main problem is that many players are unlikely to buy gems with real cash if the cost is around 400/700 gems.

If their objective is to make money, there's a chance ( i say this cause it's the first day, the % of players on forum are not nearly the % which plays gw2 and we don't know how much did the mount sell ) that with a single price, less players would have made a gem purchase with real cash.

That's why, maybe, the whole RNG thing.

> @Vadeil.3924 said:

> I bought them all, I was waiting for a reason to spend cash on this game. All of the skins are well made and I am sorry if Reforged Warhound (<---- i did not buy and will not buy) is at a 2k price tag Flamelander, Storm Ridge, Arctic Jerboa, Primal Hare, Pyroclast, Stardust, Twin Sands, Fire Pinion, Starbound would all have at lest a 1k price tag and thats 9k right there.

Yes, some of these skins are worth more than others. That's the problem. You can't choose. Some players will pay 400 gems for e.g. flamelander while other may need to spend 10k gems.

i totally understand why ppl are upset about RNG aspect, and i also don't like that, but let's be honest, if you would have the choice you would only buy 4 ticks and that's it, a great loss for them.

may be let's make the RNG more forgivable by letting the game choosing X skins and you have to choose from them

> @Dzjudz.9142 said:

> Is there some option to buy all for 9600? The only option I see is to buy 10 for 3400, which makes all 30 costs 3x3400=10200. I've seen this 9600 multiple times now, but either I'm going mad or people can't math enough.

Seperate item - mount adoption license 30 pack for 9600 gems in promotion tab

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @Eltiana.9420 said:

> > **Anet has to make money**, and skins are skins, it's not like they're necessary to play the game.

>

> God, thanks!

> Finally some other player said it.

>

>

What a load of bs. Skins (mount and armor) are content that should have been in the base PoF game which is extremely light on value. Instead Anet intentionally kept PoF light on anything of any value so that they could use the resources that should have gone into developing PoF to make more skins to throw on the gem store.

I can't stand the Anet apologists and fanboys on this forum.

Players rightly called out the BS horse armor DLC, but Anet's forums are so full of fanboys that they would have actually praised the company for selling horse armor DLC for $20. In fact they are.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > @Dzjudz.9142 said:

> > Is there some option to buy all for 9600? The only option I see is to buy 10 for 3400, which makes all 30 costs 3x3400=10200. I've seen this 9600 multiple times now, but either I'm going mad or people can't math enough.

>

> Seperate item - mount adoption license 30 pack for 9600 gems in promotion tab

Thanks, I didn't see the separate item at the bottom of the gem store. All cleared up.

> @Ellisande.5218 said:

> > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > @Eltiana.9420 said:

> > > **Anet has to make money**, and skins are skins, it's not like they're necessary to play the game.

> >

> > God, thanks!

> > Finally some other player said it.

> >

> >

>

> What a load of bs. Skins (mount and armor) are content that should have been in the base PoF game which is extremely light on value. Instead Anet intentionally kept PoF light on anything of any value so that they could use the resources that should have gone into developing PoF to make more skins to throw on the gem store.

>

> I can't stand the Anet apologists and fanboys on this forum.

I do not consider myself a fanboy.

I simply tend to go full retard when i read things like "skins from GEM STORE are content!".

As i could return to play a game because of new skins.

They could add any aesthetic kitten to GS for what i care.

That's the only way they have in order to make a profit, so be my guest.

I think the price is more than reasonable. I would even pay more per skin if there was the option.

But not with the rng aspect. The possibility of my money being wasted on things i do not want completely turns me off. I was actually really looking forward to buy skins for the mounts and supporting Anet. But not using rng based items...

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @FrizzFreston.5290 said:

> >

> > > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > > @FrizzFreston.5290 said:

> > > > > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > > > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > > > > > What people are complaining about is _gambling for premium content_.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Skins now count as "content"?

> > > > > > > There's plenty to complain about, let's not invent things just to give ANet a hard time.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Erhm yes, it is premium content. Skins are contents, both regular and premium.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Per definition.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Content is _not_ synonymous with gameplay such as expansion packs or living world story unlocks you know.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's not content.

> > > > > Also, you can convert in game currency into shop currency, so it's not premium either.

> > > >

> > > > Let's remove the whole wardrobe full of skins. Doesn't remove content.

> > > >

> > > > And converting ingame currency into gemstore currency makes it even more of a reward that you can buy with a certain amount of ingame effort.

> > >

> > > if it's drop related or achievement related is content.

> > > What are you talking about?

> > >

> > > buying a lvl 80 boost is content?

> > > A salvage copper o matic?

> > > A spooky mounts?

> > >

> > > Seriously.

> > >

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" : and still people complained about the bundle for the whole halloween. not being able to buy em separately.

> >

> > Play content, get gold, convert to gems, get reward. Might be a bit more indirect than a straight drop or achievement, but it is there.

> >

> > If a drop can be sold on the TP, you buy gems with real money, convert to gold, buy said items of the TP, then that items, that originates from a drop, isn't content?

> >

> > All ingame assets are content of the game. I can't help it you find some content more important than others and thus say it's not content, because of whatever reason.

> >

> > Just go by the original definition of content. Not like this is also in this box, but it's not the box' content.

> >

> > So yes, Seriously.

>

> Nice try.

> Play content in order to get golds and then buy from the shop, so the shop is like unlocking a skin from an achievement!

>

> I can't believe that you did say something like this.

> /laugh

You're right! Just because both are content indeed doesn't mean they are completely equal.

But then, an event is content, and an achievement is content, and your character's skills are content and that shrub-model over there is content. Those are even more widely differing things. Way more differing that virtual reward X and virtual reward Y.

I can throw you a bone by saying that achievement rewards are more rewarding and more important than gemstore rewards. Or that cosmetic rewards in the gemstore have less inherent value than cosmetic rewards obtained through specific ingame tasks.

At best the original statement that it's premium content obfuscates that it's a cosmetic skin and puts it on the level of other content, as it fails to make the distinction between a cosmetic gemstore item and a cosmetic reward from an achievement or event (or the event itself).

Hell, I'm fine with them even **raising the price**, just get rid of at least**most** of the RNG.

I think a system like this would be **healthiest **for the game:

* ($5-$8) Simple reskin with more dye channels (e.g. the green and blue raptors)

* ($9-$13) Middle range in desirability - slightly different model (e.g. jackalope, husky jackal)

* ($14-$18) Flashy, exotic, or totally different model (e.g. fire raptor, celestial griffon/jackal, reforged jackal)

* If they really think RNG can be profitable, throw some unique ones in the Black Lion Chests for the niche playerbase willing to spend the cash

To clarify on the last bullet, I don't like RNG for anything involving real $$$, but I respect this is **F2P**.

> @FrizzFreston.5290 said:

> You're right! Just because both are content indeed doesn't mean they are completely equal.

> But then, an event is content, and an achievement is content, and you character's skills are content and that shrub-model over there is content. Those are even more widely differing things. Way more differing that virtual reward X and virtual reward Y.

>

> I can throw you a bone by saying that achievement rewards are more rewarding and more important than gemstore rewards. Or that cosmetic rewards in the gemstore have less inherent value than cosmetic rewards obtained through specific ingame tasks.

You stop playing gw2.

They introduce after 1 month 2 new outfits and new dyes.

Do you return to play because "they added content"?

Just to know.

I'm honestly fine with it the way it is. Actually more than fine, I like the randomness and rng aspect.

The game isn't going to be ruined for me if I don't have a specific one of these skins. This way, if I happen to have 400 gems I feel like spending, I can chance my luck and see what I get from one of these things. I may love the result, I may feel the result is underwhelming, but I'll be entering into it from the point of view of "let's see what prize I get" and not "I hope I get the super shiny sparkle pony".

By contrast, I would *hate* it if you knew exactly what skin you were buying but the shiniest of skins were 3x the price of the others (for example). That would be the kind of thing that would activate my gag reflex and just feel incredibly distasteful to me.

> @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

> Just make the skins tradable. This will solve everything. Then players can gamble with gems all they want, and sell the skins they don't need for gold.

> And all other players can get the new mount skins from TP using gold against current market prices. (Supply/demand)

>

> Players who want to cherrypick mount skins for gems, can then just exchange gems for gold and buy the mounts from TP.

>

> And ANet gets taxes on all currency exchanges. Everyone happy?

I'd love this. After my initial impression of the new mount skins, I find I actually like the non-flashy ones better and would buy some of those.

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @FrizzFreston.5290 said:

> > You're right! Just because both are content indeed doesn't mean they are completely equal.

> > But then, an event is content, and an achievement is content, and you character's skills are content and that shrub-model over there is content. Those are even more widely differing things. Way more differing that virtual reward X and virtual reward Y.

> >

> > I can throw you a bone by saying that achievement rewards are more rewarding and more important than gemstore rewards. Or that cosmetic rewards in the gemstore have less inherent value than cosmetic rewards obtained through specific ingame tasks.

>

> You stop playing gw2.

> They introduce after 1 month 2 new outfits and new dyes.

> Do you return to play because "they added content"?

>

> Just to know.

It's not content that would make me return to the game. I'm interested in other content. :p

> @Jeff.4680 said:

> Hell, I'm fine with them even **raising the price**, just get rid of at least**most** of the RNG.

>

> I think a system like this would be **healthiest **for the game:

> * ($5-$8) Simple reskin with more dye channels (e.g. the green and blue raptors)

> * ($9-$13) Middle range in desirability - slightly different model (e.g. jackalope, husky jackal)

> * ($14-$18) Flashy, exotic, or totally different model (e.g. fire raptor, celestial griffon/jackal, reforged jackal)

> * If they really think RNG can be profitable, throw some unique ones in the Black Lion Chests for the niche playerbase willing to spend the cash

>

> To clarify on the last bullet, I don't like RNG for anything involving real $$$, but I respect this is **F2P**.

It's not F2P though, to get mounts you HAVE to buy PoF at which point the game becomes B2P. Not sure I agree on the price tiering you've suggested but it would certainly be better than this current route they seem to be taking.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > @Vadeil.3924 said:

> > I bought them all, I was waiting for a reason to spend cash on this game. All of the skins are well made and I am sorry if Reforged Warhound (<---- i did not buy and will not buy) is at a 2k price tag Flamelander, Storm Ridge, Arctic Jerboa, Primal Hare, Pyroclast, Stardust, Twin Sands, Fire Pinion, Starbound would all have at lest a 1k price tag and thats 9k right there.

>

> Yes, some of these skins are worth more than others. That's the problem. You can't choose. Some players will pay 400 gems for e.g. flamelander while other may need to spend 10k gems.

As I said flamelander is worth at lest 1k gems. so if people are willing to pay that fine. but it wont be 400 gems for the better skins if they are sold out of rng.

> @Vadeil.3924 said:

> > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > @Vadeil.3924 said:

> > > I bought them all, I was waiting for a reason to spend cash on this game. All of the skins are well made and I am sorry if Reforged Warhound (<---- i did not buy and will not buy) is at a 2k price tag Flamelander, Storm Ridge, Arctic Jerboa, Primal Hare, Pyroclast, Stardust, Twin Sands, Fire Pinion, Starbound would all have at lest a 1k price tag and thats 9k right there.

> >

> > Yes, some of these skins are worth more than others. That's the problem. You can't choose. Some players will pay 400 gems for e.g. flamelander while other may need to spend 10k gems.

>

> As I said flamelander is worth at lest 1k gems. so if people are willing to pay that fine. but it wont be 400 gems for the better skins if they are sold out of rng.

I'm okay with this. Just for science to not make empty claims I used my saved gems to try how is my rng for this stuff. So I bought 5 unlocks (2k gems). I got 3 awful rabbit skins, 1 mediocre jackal and 1 mediocre griffon. None of these skins I ever wanted. But if I was to pay 1k gems for some of skins on the list, I would already have 2 of which I really wanted for the price I spent today.

I will never use real money for gems again, that's my rule since HoT release and after today experience I will never try mount rng box at current iteration again.