How happy are you with Guild Wars 2 right now?

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > And we didn't get glider skins by playing the game either. So?

>

> So Anet dropped the ball twice ?

>

> I mean what more do you want to say about it. There's a distinct lack of long term goals, be it Armor/Skins etc... that can be earned via playing.

> At the end of the day, it's a game. The shop being poorly utilized to ship content that could be put into the game doesn't excuse the game having a very poorly managed endgame.

No they didn't drop the ball twice. They did what they were doing to keep the doors open. You think box sales alone are going to run this game. If you give away stuff, people will buy less of it. And unlike the one glider skin we get by default which was total crap, the five mount skins we get were really good out of the box. Sometimes I think people are living in a bubble and don't see what's going on with other MMOs

MMOs is not a growth industry. Not unless you want to play them all on mobiles They have high overhead, little return, great risk...Titan was cancelled by Blizzard, and Everquest Next was cancelled by Daybreak after they bought out SOE from Sony. If mobile games are going to have much higher ROI than computer MMOs, computer MMOs will simply stop. Because companies are going to go to the highest ROI they have. We already see it happening.

My guess is the next incarnation of Guild Wars will be a mobile game. But to say that it's a mistake to make money for a company because you don't like what they're doing doesn't really make sense to me. You can't say more people would be playing if we could get glider skins in game, nor can you say the game would make more money.

I don't know about you but I don't want to start a new MMO every five years all over, because I happen to like this one. Someone is going to have to fund that. If it's the whales, that's okay with me.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Vayne.8563 said:

>No they didn't drop the ball twice. They did what they were doing to keep the doors open. You think box sales alone are going to run this game. If you give away stuff, people will buy less of it. And unlike the one glider skin we get by default which was total crap, the five mount skins we get were really good out of the box. Sometimes I think people are living in a bubble and don't see what's going on with other MMOs

If they want more money then they need to ask for it in a way that doesn't involve RNG. I gave them $90 for PoF, even though the "bonus goods" for doing so were mostly kitten, because I want this game to succeed, but I don't want to reward them for treating me like a pile of kitten with these kitten gambling boxes. I will commit right now to spending at least 2000-3000 gems if it'll get me 4-6 of the skins I wanted out of the existing 30, but I'm not going to pay for skins I don't want, and I'm not going to be gambling. Stop trying to make this into a "people are whining about having to pay for things" discussion, *that is not the point here.*

with the loot i am happy right now. during halloween i got a precursor and 5 days later an infusion from the trick bags and 2x touch of madness.

BUT. yesterday i thought i got to pof map where you can daily loot some chests. i saw the mastery point up there and i wanted it. but i tried an half hour and my blood was boiling. got so angry. i thought o god now i do some stuff in pof again and get angry again. this xpack is trash for me every mastery. chef or this temple one. just make me angry this xpack... only thing i like are the mounts. so far. i bought an mount adoption and got a gryphon skin so now i have to do the story. i hate story’s they are boring long. i die part 3 and all guildys who helped me there of others are shorter but this one is short compared to next story’s. but it’s for gryphon. normally i don’t do story’s.

heart of thorns was more fun to me. only mastery’s already said

I'm somewhere between More Or Less Happy and Mostly Unhappy. I chose the latter option because, from where I sit, the general trend since launch has been mostly unhappy. If the game hadn't launched from such a happy high point, pieces of its broken and smoking hull would likely be littering the jungle canopy right about now.

PoF, by the way, was more of a flap than a flop, in my book. PoF grabbed some air. And then arenanet pulled out a shotgun and PoF was revealed to be not a soaring griffon, but a clay pigeon. Pull!

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> > @TexZero.7910 said:

> > > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > > And we didn't get glider skins by playing the game either. So?

> >

> > So Anet dropped the ball twice ?

> >

> > I mean what more do you want to say about it. There's a distinct lack of long term goals, be it Armor/Skins etc... that can be earned via playing.

> > At the end of the day, it's a game. The shop being poorly utilized to ship content that could be put into the game doesn't excuse the game having a very poorly managed endgame.

>

> No they didn't drop the ball twice.

They did both drop the ball and not drop the ball!

Just to make it less complicated! :p

(going from Schrödingers cat to Arenanet's kitten!)

Still after 4+ years I find something new to do every day. The whole mount skin lootbox thing doesn't affect me much since I hardly buy anything with gems anyway. Gemstore items are not needed to have a great experience. To have a great subscription free MMO is much more important to me.

The game itself is great. I love being back in the Crystal Desert and in Elona. Nightfall was hands down my favorite of the original game so the addition of PoF has been amazing for me.

There will always be something in the game that someone hates or rails against. This hoopla over the mount skins actually has me amused at this point. I get why people don't like the RNG aspect, but any of those skins don't help you with playing the game. Whether you like the RNG aspect (I don't) or not, it is Anets way to make money. It is purely cosmetic and yet it is like a mob mentality when it comes to these stupid skins. It's like they are holding people families hostage the way the outrage is happening.

I love that things are varied and different everywhere you travel. PoF was completely different than HoT which I thought was amazing. I like playing in HoT for what it is. Same for PoF. I don't want them to be the same. That is just boring.

Do I think that things could be better. Of course!

But I see advancement in the way they are doing things now.

1. Lore from the first game is FINALLY infused into the game. When the game started, many of us veterans felt like the creative team were doing their absolute best the kitten on the first game. Where are the places and things from the first game? Why hasn't the lore from the first game impacted this one like promised. With PoF they are coming back to the lore and feel of the first game. They are indeed learning.

2. The maps are stunning and keep getting better.

3. The music is freaking awesome.

4. The Gem Store provides a lot of things that are convenient but in no way truly is necessary to have an amazing play experience. It also generates money for more content.

5. Living story now brings us not only new stories but new maps as well.

All this good and what do people complain about? RNG Mount skins. #eyeroll

There are things I would most certainly like to see, but they won't break the game for me.

1. The return of creatures/foes that they have neglected or ignored from the first game.

2. Build Templates

3. Festival's could be updated better

4. More complex/engaging story lines that make you want to play them over and over like the first game.

5. Characters that you truly love or hate. There have been a few in this game but nothing like the first. Most people have strong feelings about characters like Tybalt or Scarlet from this game, but they are more exceptions than rules. From the first game there were a myriad of characters that were beloved/sinister/evil/awesome. They covered the spectrum and you may have seen them again, and again in the same missions, but you still enjoyed them and looked forward to replaying because of them. They were abundant in the first game, scarce in the second.

There is a lot more for me to love in this game than to ever rail against. Nothing I named above that I would like to see will break this game for me.

tl/dr: There is so much to love about this game and yet "RNG mount skins are the devil" and "deal breaker" for this game? SMH. Yes there are things that could be better but the game is freaking amazing.

I am mostly happy. Balance passes need to get better and more frequent. However, the whole mount hoopla does not bother me in the slightest. You can earn gold in the game pretty fast. In game gold has pretty much paid for all my glider / mount skins. People want stuff just given to them sometimes it seems.

In GW2, I do not feel as if I am playing an MMORPG, it is a great solo experience as well with an optional multiplayer layer beyond. When I think about FF14, and its trinity-forced random group content for ANYTHING, GW2 is balm on my soul. The other games... well, I can't stand their visual style.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time Kormir's library, taking screenshots and the little Tomb Raider'ish riddle before (too bad it gave away hints...) was great. I LOVE Deadeye, I love my Asura, the mounts should please every taste, German voice acting is great.

Performance is terrible even with my 2,400€ PC (GW2 is literally the only program that doesn't gain any advantage of my new hardware), but with all the other pros, I can overlook that one...for now.

PoF is really a huge improvement: Textures are now often fine (I am looking over my Asura's shoulder, so I am zoomed in almost to the maximum), models are well-designed and the story regained some of its funny moments. (Beating up lazy Skritt and toss them around to get their work morale up - how awesome is that?!?)

In my personal case, it just can get worse from now.

Excelsior.

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> > @TexZero.7910 said:

> > > @Vayne.8563 said:

> >

> >

> > I mean what more do you want to say about it. There's a distinct lack of long term goals, be it Armor/Skins etc... that can be earned via playing.

> > At the end of the day, it's a game. The shop being poorly utilized to ship content that could be put into the game doesn't excuse the game having a very poorly managed endgame.

>

> No they didn't drop the ball twice. They did what they were doing to keep the doors open.

I have seen no sign that GW2's doors are in threat of closing. No sign that the desperate measure of swindling their own customers is necessary - not that I think that it should ever be done if a company has any morals.

> @Ohoni.6057 said:

> > @Vayne.8563 said:

> >No they didn't drop the ball twice. They did what they were doing to keep the doors open. You think box sales alone are going to run this game. If you give away stuff, people will buy less of it. And unlike the one glider skin we get by default which was total crap, the five mount skins we get were really good out of the box. Sometimes I think people are living in a bubble and don't see what's going on with other MMOs

>

> If they want more money then they need to ask for it in a way that doesn't involve RNG. I gave them $90 for PoF, even though the "bonus goods" for doing so were mostly kitten, because I want this game to succeed, but I don't want to reward them for treating me like a pile of kitten with these kitten gambling boxes. I will commit right now to spending at least 2000-3000 gems if it'll get me 4-6 of the skins I wanted out of the existing 30, but I'm not going to pay for skins I don't want, and I'm not going to be gambling. Stop trying to make this into a "people are whining about having to pay for things" discussion, *that is not the point here.*

>

Exactly. I would be more than happy to buy some mount skins. But I want mount skins, not to gamble. Anet isn't offering any actual skins which don't cost 2000 gems. A random chance at a skin doesn't count for me.

Very happy. I’ve been super mad after HoT release, especialy because of wvw and I stopped playing for a long time. I returned recently, after PoF announcement, and guess what? since I stopped caring about wvw roaming and mostly do pve content ( with a bit of wvw zerging) I have the most fun I’ve ever had in this game. I just finished Aurora 3 days ago, and I enjoyed the journey a lot more than for my other gen 1 legendaries (Aurora I collection is really great, and I’m not even a completionist). I’m now returning slowly to HoT, because I skipped most of its content, and wait for LW season 4.

Edit : season 4 november 28th \o/

I'm mostly happy. The expac was nice overall, was a bit miffed about them involving ecto gambles on the process of crafting the larger bags, but was assuming they would sooner or later release other ways of obtaining them.

Then last week came by and i was extremely disappointed with Arena Net. They had several choices and went with second worst (worst would be 100% random, with duplicates in the lootbox).

The gameplay is the best for an MMO that I've played, but the story isn't structured properly to be compatible with a generic MMO hero of the player's imagination.

Guild Wars 1 did things properly and kept the player separate from Ascalon's Chosen, the NPC guild. It was similar to Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch, except that you were just friends with them and not a member. You, the player, were a hero of your own imagining in a guild of other human players. That's how it should be!

The idea that each player in GW2 is the leader of Dragon's Watch, or the Pact Commander... well that only works in a single player game or a book, movie or comic. But this is an MMO bursting with other players. We all have to exercise cognitive dissonance around other players because we're all technically the same hero. If NPCs addressed the player as "Hero!" instead of "Commander!", we'd have a lot more creative space to be the "mysterious stranger of indeterminate background" of our own creation.

Season 3 completely broke me as far as the story was concerned and I didn't buy Path of Fire as a consequence. I'm just completely uninvested. I play norn mainly and their story has been wrapped up by Season 3 into a damp squib! Jormag's Tooth and Jormag itself are done and dusted thanks to Braham and Taimi so I guess the norn are done. Apparently I don't get to break the tooth and slay Jormag after all. May as well retire.

On the sylvari front I enjoyed their story a lot. Like the norn, their story is done now with Siren's Landing exploring Trahearne's legacy in Orr, the reforging of Caladbolg and becoming Knight of the Thorn. So of the two races I play I seem to be done here.

I suppose ArenaNet tried to create a world with a lot of freedom in it, but they failed to manage that in the personal story going forward. At a certain point it's the same story for everyone - the writer's one. From what I gather of the PoF story, Balthazar became Abaddon 2.0 and I just /facepalmed. The mounts look great and they're the only redeeming feature of the xpac as far as I'm concerned. And then of course #mountgate happened.

Story aside, I've had a great time in GW2. I have no goals left really. I play a bit of WvW or PvE but that's all.

Meh, it's okay I guess. Comparing my feelings on the state of the game now to the way I felt in the first few weeks post-HoT, I'm just more jaded and less optimistic. Basically there's little to no focus on the content and features I want (Dungeons and Build Templates), and what we _do_ get has comparatively little replay value for me (Living Story and Mini Maps).

It's pretty clear the direction the game is taking and while I generally don't like it, I still enjoy playing enough to adjust my expectations and play style accordingly.

I play often still and I am pretty happy. I play PVE and WVW.

My gripes with PVE is reward. So everything is money really. You can say grinding for ascended or legendary is a thing, but really, money can do that. There are maps that you get good money from and they are old. The new PoF maps are great and I don't feel they need a meta as such, not like HoT that were based on very over complex maps (saw someone in another thread call PoF maps flat, can't of seen the majority complain about HoT maps...). What I would suggest is ticks and chests like in WvW in PVE maps. Each map having its own track and chests. Could even integrate legendaries into them. Played destiny 2 recently, never felt like anything was a waste of time (until I got full gear).

As for WVW. I still love it, but its such a shame that it becomes so meta based. I have an 80 for every profession and most of those are different specs for WvW my Holosmith being the main, and probably only one I use in both game modes. It is a shame you find a build you enjoy playing, join wvw and it can be next to useless in a zerg. So you go small scale and you come up against something like a cheese build designed purely to easily beat other players. And let's face it, the majority of these meet a good player they get destroyed, come on here and call their build OP. But their build intentionally manipulates mechanics like ghost thief, burning guardian, one shot mesmer...

Build diversity could really use a looking at. If you take Engie alone, it has so many kits and gadgets and TURRETS, I picked engie for turrets but they are terrible!

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> > @TexZero.7910 said:

> > > @Vayne.8563 said:

> >

> >

>

> No they didn't drop the ball twice. They did what they were doing to keep the doors open. You think box sales alone are going to run this game. If you give away stuff, people will buy less of it. And unlike the one glider skin we get by default which was total crap, the five mount skins we get were really good out of the box. Sometimes I think people are living in a bubble and don't see what's going on with other MMOs

>

> MMOs is not a growth industry. Not unless you want to play them all on mobiles They have high overhead, little return, great risk...Titan was cancelled by Blizzard, and Everquest Next was cancelled by Daybreak after they bought out SOE from Sony. If mobile games are going to have much higher ROI than computer MMOs, computer MMOs will simply stop. Because companies are going to go to the highest ROI they have. We already see it happening.

>

> My guess is the next incarnation of Guild Wars will be a mobile game. But to say that it's a mistake to make money for a company because you don't like what they're doing doesn't really make sense to me. You can't say more people would be playing if we could get glider skins in game, nor can you say the game would make more money.

>

> I don't know about you but I don't want to start a new MMO every five years all over, because I happen to like this one. Someone is going to have to fund that. If it's the whales, that's okay with me.

Lets get this perfectly clear, i don't think a buy 2 play model is self sufficient. However, that was never part of my argument.

They did drop the ball twice. For any game to retain players they need to have content in the game that is desirable and obtainable. PoF and HoT failed on this big time.

Not only did that fail the apparent reasons given why we can't have nice things is it takes too long to create "Armor" yet they clearly had enough time and team resources to make 36 mount skins. Let that one sink in. We cannot have content because 36 skins are more important than the game itself.

That right there is the problem. They have the most horribly imbalanced workload and artist staffing i've seen to date. Instead of taking half of those resources and putting them to the game they let 100% of that go to marketing. Let's hope that PR was worth the hit shall we.

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> They did drop the ball twice. For any game to retain players they need to have content in the game that is desirable and obtainable. PoF and HoT failed on this big time.

> Not only did that fail the apparent reasons given why we can't have nice things is it takes too long to create "Armor" yet they clearly had enough time and team resources to make 36 mount skins. Let that one sink in. We cannot have content because 36 skins are more important than the game itself.

>

> That right there is the problem. They have the most horribly imbalanced workload and artist staffing i've seen to date. Instead of taking half of those resources and putting them to the game they let 100% of that go to marketing. Let's hope that PR was worth the hit shall we.

I think there is a fundamental difference in the process of creating a new mount or glider vs. a new armor. A mount or skin is universal for all character types in the game -- male and female. To make a single mount skin it requires some texture mapping on an existing model. Other mount skins may tweak the mount or glider model, but that model is the same for all races and genders.

An armor type is different. A single armor has multiple models it needs to function for; different races move and behave differently. Humans don't run on all four, Norn isn't ratty little big-headed things, Charr have tails, and so on. Then the male and female armor are different.

So, yea, maybe the team that made 30 different mounts could've made some more armor... but then that armor would manifest itself as an Outfit. And we get outfits pretty regularly I feel. Have you been buying them?

> @Chickenooble.5014 said:

> > @TexZero.7910 said:

> > They did drop the ball twice. For any game to retain players they need to have content in the game that is desirable and obtainable. PoF and HoT failed on this big time.

> > Not only did that fail the apparent reasons given why we can't have nice things is it takes too long to create "Armor" yet they clearly had enough time and team resources to make 36 mount skins. Let that one sink in. We cannot have content because 36 skins are more important than the game itself.

> >

> > That right there is the problem. They have the most horribly imbalanced workload and artist staffing i've seen to date. Instead of taking half of those resources and putting them to the game they let 100% of that go to marketing. Let's hope that PR was worth the hit shall we.

> I think there is a fundamental difference in the process of creating a new mount or glider vs. a new armor. A mount or skin is universal for all character types in the game -- male and female. To make a single mount skin it requires some texture mapping on an existing model. Other mount skins may tweak the mount or glider model, but that model is the same for all races and genders.

>

> An armor type is different. A single armor has multiple models it needs to function for; different races move and behave differently. Humans don't run on all four, Norn isn't ratty little big-headed things, Charr have tails, and so on. Then the male and female armor are different.

>

> So, yea, maybe the team that made 30 different mounts could've made some more armor... but then that armor would manifest itself as an Outfit. And we get outfits pretty regularly I feel. Have you been buying them?

>

>

Missing the point. We have all these artist making "stuff" and yet how much of that "stuff" could have been rewards for playing the game. It doesn't matter what said stuff is, armor glider, mount etc...

We can't have nice things yet somehow we have all these resources dedicate to the store when if half of that went into the game you'd see player retention increase and you'd see an overall positive feel in the community and more willingness to purchase because there's more choice.