Did PoF succeed or not?

Harper.4173

Yea, like many others, I'll say that IMO short-term it's an awesome blast, long-term it's a bit of a flop. At least launch content of the expansion.

I loved it while it lasted and I had something cool to do. I had 2-4 weeks of playing actually. IMO we should have had some in-release dungeons/fractals/ in theme of expansion... Not mentioning at least one map with wide meta on it (desolation would be my perfect candidate for huge war zone like silverwastes). This would feel more complete. And it's my main and only complain - lack of these things (this far). Basic expansion stuff like maps, story and mounts are amazing and I love these with all my heart. But there's nothing more, entire release content feels like bundle of ls3 maps.

And it's the first time I think about giving up on gw2. I'll try the next release with ls4. If it brings something I could chew on daily then I'll stay. If not, maybe I'll just jump in to unlock next episodes, play for a day or two and say byebye for 2 month periods. **Perhaps it's healthy and casual... I'm not sure...** Honestly I didn't think this would ever happen.

**28.11.2017 release shapes up to be very important.** For me it's the last call. And this + 2017Q4 financial report will say most about the success of PoF.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wasn't feeling it. Maybe it released too close to the Halloween event. Maybe the devs need to fix inventory overflow problems in a way that I am happy with and isn't completely stupid and unfair. I just didn't feel like playing it after getting halfway through the very crappy story and don't really feel like going back to it right now.

At least I was sort of enjoying myself unlike HoT where I hated every damned second I had to spend on those crap maps.

Depends on your metric for success. I have really enjoyed PoF. The story is great, the maps are interesting, and the new elite specs are fun. Oh and mounts, love em. I have to admit I was one of the mount skeptics and I am glad to say I was wrong; they're great.

I do wish PoF had added more armor sets than it did and a new world boss or two. But overall I consider it a success in the sense that it was worth every penny I spent on it.

PvP Balance has killed the game for me since PoF. Maybe I'm just burnt out on gw2 though. But even the mount scandal recently reduced my playtime further. The story was great, the environment was beautiful, and the gryphon collection was really fun to do. But I've always played pvp as my main focus with some pve in between. Right now, since pvp is borked, I can't enjoy it enough to play as much. To me, PoF was a flop... Mostly just due to the elite specs and their poor balance.

Edit: I just wanted to add, I feel I got my money's worth. I just feel it has reduced my playtime compared to before the expansion.

> @Carighan.6758 said:

> > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > And the Mac Daddy of facepalms, repeatable kitten hearts...

>

> This is actually such a shame that this caught on. Creative bankruptcy in GW2 was never more visible than in "repeatable hearts as endless content". Sigh. If you cannot think of actual content, you do this instead...

Except players have actually asked for this.

Depends on what you mean by succeed. If it's solely based on sales, maybe/maybe not, only Anet knows. If it's based on replay, i'd say it flopped. I was booking around the PoF maps on Fri night waiting for my que to be up to join WvW, and no word of a lie, all maps were empty from what I could see, and there were no running squads in lfg. I found that quite odd.

> @DeadlySynz.3471 said:

> Depends on what you mean by succeed. If it's solely based on sales, maybe/maybe not, only Anet knows. If it's based on replay, i'd say it flopped. I was booking around the PoF maps on Fri night waiting for my que to be up to join WvW, and no word of a lie, all maps were empty from what I could see, and there were no running squads in lfg. I found that quite odd.

I've been on those maps at all hours of the day. Try finding the meta events, because they're always populated now, since the rewards have been increased.

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> > @Carighan.6758 said:

> > > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > > And the Mac Daddy of facepalms, repeatable kitten hearts...

> >

> > This is actually such a shame that this caught on. Creative bankruptcy in GW2 was never more visible than in "repeatable hearts as endless content". Sigh. If you cannot think of actual content, you do this instead...

>

> Except players have actually asked for this.

I don't remember players asking for the vendor's services to become gated every day. I remember them wanting a way to repeat the heart content once they had done so already (which is a good thing because it means you can reuse content and give it more value).

What I don't understand is WHY they chose to gate the services each and every day behind doing the heart again. This took the repeatable hearts concept from - "here's something to give players who enjoy the hearts the chance to enjoy them again" to "you must do hearts if you want to access vendors".

This has the poor effect of influencing ALL players, including those that hate hearts. It was a good idea that was poorly implemented.

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> > @DeadlySynz.3471 said:

> > Depends on what you mean by succeed. If it's solely based on sales, maybe/maybe not, only Anet knows. If it's based on replay, i'd say it flopped. I was booking around the PoF maps on Fri night waiting for my que to be up to join WvW, and no word of a lie, all maps were empty from what I could see, and there were no running squads in lfg. I found that quite odd.

>

> I've been on those maps at all hours of the day. Try finding the meta events, because they're always populated now, since the rewards have been increased.

Rewards have been increased?

> @Harper.4173 said:

> Rewards have been increased?

Yes now the meta events have a chance to drop a chest that allows you to choose the elite spec collection exotic weapon you want.

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> I've been on those maps at all hours of the day. Try finding the meta events, because they're always populated now, since the rewards have been increased.

>

If the maps are only populated only when the meta events are active, can you tell me how to go on those maps when that happens?

Because those meta events, other than Serpent's Ire, isn't on a timer.

I think the expansion was a failure in many ways.

1) these expansions are reducing the population density. Gw2 is not meant to be played alone. Adding more maps (land) for today's market is not the way to go.

2) the land is being added on new maps. why not improving existing maps by adding maps above each other like in HOT?

3) you are encouraging new players to skip all old maps all together. Even giving option to go to level 80 right away. You should encourage players to play old content with new players.

this expansion road map seems like an outdated business model that does not adapt to today's market.

you will regret continuing on this path.

Well... wether it's a success it's something sales values would show.

My opinion... ok, i think i need to play more of it. PoF is alright, but despite hating Tangled Depths initially i loved HoT. Auric basin was just the best. I still enjoy going to the map cause of the music and the way it looks. I am very happy that it has one of the most profitable meta's a i get to runs often aswell.

The meta on Verdant brink is actually very unique aswell, even though at the beggining the map sucks. The thing is that as you unlock the masteries the maps become better. Finally Dragon's stand was just amazing the first time i did it. Definitly was a highlight in MMO's for me. That last boss encounter after clearing the map for an hour was really cool. Not so great to do over though, because it takes so long.

So, yeah, i'm sure my impression of PoF will improve as i explore more of it, but HoT was definitly more impactful.