Ascended Armour - What am I doing wrong?

Yume Ni.9618

I'm trying to craft ascended armour for my Mesmer character. The character is lvl 80 and I've got to lvl 500 armour smith, but when I've crafted heavy armour it says "Unusable by your profession".

I can't find anything on ascended armour that says certain armour can only be using by certain professions. I know I must be doing something simple wrong, but can't seem to find out what. Can anyone help please?

For light armor professions you will need a tailor to craft ascended armor.

This wiki link shows ascended armor prefixes and if you click on the armor class for each it will tell you the craft you need to make it:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_armor#Armor_with_predefined_prefixes

In other words you need armorsmith for heavy, leather working for medium, and tailor for light.

Wait a moment, you made it to lvl 80 and gathered the materials / gold to max armor smith and craft an ascended armor without noticing that there are 3 different weight classes for armor? I already knew GW2 does a shady job at teaching it's mechanics, but this...

Well, at least you have some heavy ascended armor now. If you ever create a Warrior, Guardian or Revenant you can equip it on them.