Art Style and Armors Discussion

Khazaad.7253

Does anyone know the "Art guidelines" for Gw2? i love the game and some armors are pretty cool looking, overall it gives me a sense of grittiness, makeshift armors or old rusty plates, the highwayman style for medium armor, and the more disappointing (at least to me) light armor which looks terrible with a few exceptions here and there, i've notice some kind of guideline avoiding symmetry, i don't know if it is because is aesthetically more pleasing or just a design choice.

In any case it's all good but i find it lacking on the "elegant" department, there aren't many armor sets that are "elegant", i know this may be subjective but i'm thinking on Asian MMORPG's which always feel more "stylish", to give a concrete example and apologize for quoting another game, Aion's armors always seem to have a regal feel to them, granted they are always over the top and females versions show more skin than what common senses dictates, but it's an aspect of armors that i find Guild Wars 2 is lacking at the moment, we do have some "ceremonial" armors and i find Kas's gem store set to try to be regal/magical, but overall most armors give a war torn feeling. I'm asking about the Art Guidelines to know if eventually we could get different kinds of armors or if because of stylistic and designing choices this will never be.

Exemple of Aion's armor:

![](https://www.daevasreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/4-0_concept_art_armors_beritra01.jpg "")

I particularly enjoy the plate and Chain armors, the Female Robe and Male bard are quite elegant, i understand that they do not fit GW2's style but certainly there could be Victorian Dresses? or italian renaissance kind of armors?

![](https://www.daevasreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/4-0_concept_art_armors_pve01.jpg "")

Again Plate,Chain,Leather and Robe give this elegant feeling, with the fur on plate giving a "commander" feeling and robe is quite mysterious.

I would also like to see more armors in game, not just on the gem store, i feel like Path of fire added 5(?) new sets in total, following a middle eastern, desert-y, persian/arabic kinda feel which was great but again, nothing too regal, most of them gave the "warrior of the desert" vibe i want "MOAR" lol.

Does anyone know what armor this is? !(https://huntersinsight.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/blue_mace_man_concept_art.jpg "")

What happened to this one?![](https://www.videogamesartwork.com/sites/default/files/images/image/1377109672/guildwars2_character_human_concept.jpg "")

I understand that having to make different armors for each race and gender it's a massive pain but you know what they say: "where there's a whip there is a way!".

Opinions? Info to add? did i miss something?

PS: I apologize for any grammar mistakes.

• 4 weeks later...

I can completely agree with you. I would also love seeing more elegant and unorthodox armors in Guild Wars 2. To be fair, all Asian MMO's have that same trait. They all go for 'over the top' aesthetics which makes them very majestic. As you stated, Aion has that exact thing with the wings and armors. Whereas if you look at Western MMO's they are usually more 'normal' with less fantasy elements. Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter etc. However I can agree that GW2 can easily implement more fantastical armor models. As for will they do it, I doubt it since it will break the 'Western MMO style'.

Forgive me for speaking my mind, but I feel you're correct in saying that game (Aion, was it?) and GW2 have very different styles.

Answer me this: How compartmentalized are the armors in Aion? How much of the armors can be blended with others?

Maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions but I feel part of the problem with specific design style sets is that pieces of armor have to be isolated to areas of the body, limiting how the pieces can flow. To make up for these limitations, more time is spent on building the complexity of the pieces rather than balance the composition of the set as a whole. I think this might be were a good deal of the asymmetry rises from, improving the complexity of the design while keeping it compartmental.