Druid, ranger, pets, AI and you.

Razor.6392

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_sigh_ okay, let's do this then.

"....while the pet does all the work... [or similar argument]." Well, if the pet is doing all of the work, then you only have to counterplay the pet, which is done just like it is against everything else; kiting and dodging damage.

To preempt the "no counterplay" argument; that would be suggesting that you can't outplay an AI with limited action logic and telegraphs. So you're either suggesting that the AI is playing like a pocket Sindrener, which if I were him, or really any human being of any kind, I'd be incredibly insulted that the difference of actions is indistinguishable and that you're not giving credit where credit is due. Or, you're suggesting you're getting outplayed by a very limited AI, which means you're at the very bottom end of the skill spectrum and lack game knowledge; invalidating any balance opinion you may have.

Arguing for a redesign is fine. Pointless, but fine. The amount of Rangers/Druids/etc that actually enjoy the utility and damage distribution of the class is beyond minimal, and most would prefer to have the damage and utility in full control of the player, with the pet being there more for flavor than effect (or even optional with some peoples preferences).

Also, Ranger/Druid/etc players work just as hard to play around the AI on their end as you do on your end. Between the pathing, the inability to make pets avoid damage areas, and having to learn and manage skill rotations for the pets they use and then control them through only having a "go," "stop," and "special skill" button while simultaneously making sure they aren't invalidated by terrain kiting or facetanking damage, it's a deceptively difficult class that only is as good as enemy players are bad. Certainly more difficult than player skills, where pressing a button makes something happen, whereas trying to use the pet is an exercise of masochism and patience as you perform the action to make a thing to happen but now have to wait for that thing to be communicated to the AI, then for the AI to decide whether or not it's in range, place priority on it in a skill queue, which could be low if you were trying to get a specific pet skill that isn't the F2, and then hope that the enemy isn't smart enough to dodge or kite if they aren't locked down.

I'm well aware that I'll get trolled for explaining any of this, but somebody has to be the voice of reason that educates people and ignores the toxic levels of exaggeration and hyperbole.

> @"OGDeadHead.8326" said:

> @ Trevor Boyer - Good post!

>

> > @"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:

> > Furthermore, in response to a couple of the suggestions I read in this thread:

> > * **Pet attributes scaling with the amulet the Ranger wears** - Are you sure about that suggestion? Did anyone stop to consider what it's going to be like when a smokescale comes them with berserker amy, fury buff and 25 stacks of might? Did anyone stop to think about pet healing when it scales with Mender?

>

> The people that argue this never thinks about it from that angle. What they mean to say is that currently pets are as good as they should be, and if you go bunker, pets also should get lower damage - way lower. They would NEVER argue that if you go zerker, pets should deal a **hell of a lot more damage** than they currently do.

> In short - the ONLY thing they want is for pets to get nerfed, pure and simple.

Except for that tiny little fact that zerker ranger is one of easiest to kill proffesions on zerker amulet "well except staff ele or necro :)".In fact this would be straight buff to every zerker/mara/demolisher ranger out there,as it would buff pets dmg,which for said rangers is more important than to sustain staff aa ranger for which it would be nerf,obiouvly.

On mender,i dont know how pet healing is scaling,thou i guess sylvan hound or some moa wouldnt heal that much anyway,while the pet dps,which is for mender a big component would be waay lower.You could just decap the druid,once he goes CA and ignore his solar beam spam :),unless you are something super squishie,like zerker ele or similar.

As for pet being killable in 1v1 situation,i think there wouldnt be a problem at all,if there was scaling off players stats.Maybe the ease of might stacking on pet,via elite or shout heal,but compared to might stacking of others its still harder.There are proffesions out there pooping might left and right without 2nd thought.