What does ANET do when a whole server stops playing?

Nightshade.2570

What’s funny is in the post from JQ is they asked to limit play time. One of the larger guilds including their leader has been going into the jumping puzzle spamming for people to go there saying it’s being taken. While some know not to go knowing what it is. Other newer players do not and go then come back to eb upset. Plus it’s not like 1-2 times it’s screens full of them telling people to come. While some reported for spam, others knew nothing would happen from similar instances in the past. And the next day they were back on so no reprocussions for spamming/grief. It’s at the point where I’m debating on moving on after 5 years where wvw was a big selling point for me.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like some of the OPs question was answered in @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" post. I don't claim she was answering this nor wish to put words in her mouth but the following was included in her post:

*Q: Are thresholds based on the top populated world?

A: Yes and no. When we adjust thresholds, we always take into consideration the worlds that have the highest population and play hours and make sure they are “Full”. However, the thresholds do not change based on the biggest worlds because this could be more easily manipulated by players, where they purposely do not play for several weeks to lower their population and open the world back up.*

My ability to quote it is.... lacking on my phone so..

Everyone here acting like this has never happened before.

Hibergate ring any bells? BG tanked often in order to open themselves for transfers during the life of this game. Always worked before. Why can't JQ do the same. I'm not a fan of this any more than anyone else, but it is what it is.

The problem is that no one wants to fight BG. No one wants T1. There is no incentive to go fight your server up to T1, and when there is no incentive to dealing with BG then you tank to avoid it/them. ANet cannot go in and manually move players/ guilds off of BG, and they shouldn't, but ANet is going to have to deal with the repercussions of allowing one server to stack beyond all reason.

The obvious answer would be dynamic server caps that limit numbers and force overstacked servers to stay in queue until they decide to destack, but you know...ANet.

My issue isn’t with the tanking or not, but making it to where the ones who do not agree with or still want to play anyway have a horrible time and can’t do anything. I can handle playing and losing because of the numbers sitting out. However when you have guilds spamming chat to where the ones who want to play can’t communicate is when I take issue with it.

> @"MTTomlinson.4795" said:

> My issue isn’t with the tanking or not, but making it to where the ones who do not agree with or still want to play anyway have a horrible time and can’t do anything. I can handle playing and losing because of the numbers sitting out. However when you have guilds spamming chat to where the ones who want to play can’t communicate is when I take issue with it.

It would seem that some of them would prefer people left the server. That way they could open up I guess.

> My issue isn’t with the tanking or not, but making it to where the ones who do not agree with or still want to play anyway have a horrible time and can’t do anything. I can handle playing and losing because of the numbers sitting out. However when you have guilds spamming chat to where the ones who want to play can’t communicate is when I take issue with it.

ANET created this horrible situation with their inability to address the fundamental problems with WvW's design.

They just announced that they have no intention of fixing anything. WvW is dead.

> @"Grim West.3194" said:

> > @"MTTomlinson.4795" said:

> > My issue isn’t with the tanking or not, but making it to where the ones who do not agree with or still want to play anyway have a horrible time and can’t do anything. I can handle playing and losing because of the numbers sitting out. However when you have guilds spamming chat to where the ones who want to play can’t communicate is when I take issue with it.

>

> ANET created this horrible situation with their inability to address the fundamental problems with WvW's design.

>

> They just announced that they have no intention of fixing anything. WvW is dead.

So then it's OK for server mates to be toxic to each other?

> @"Namer.9750" said:

> > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > Yea, match manipulation has been almost too easy for servers with the 1 up and 1 down thing. Right now I'm on a little brother server linked up in T1. My server and the server we're linked with have no business being in T1. I feel you it sucks being stuck with servers (or in my case going against servers) doing match manipulation.

>

> If you're on IoJ, then you should know that SoS has been trying to tank as well, and guilds have been threatening to leave if they can't tank out of T1.

>

> It's just that they're abysmal at tanking and there are quite a number of people on who think tanking is 'losing intentionally' and not something they have to do for the sake of the server's health.

>

> I mean, at this point there's literally 5 servers simultaneously tanking at any given time: everyone in T1 and T2.

>

> **ANet will do nothing if a while server stops playing. They do not care.** Neither should you. If they want to tank, let them tank. Everyone deserves a break, after all, as JQ clearly states.

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/6NQPEME.png "")

>

> @"Rainshadow.4926" said:

> Just open all the servers. If a server overstacks and wins every week, who cares? What does anyone lose? A pip or two each tick? There are no rewards for winning and no penalties for losing. If people want to sit in a 100+ queue at reset, that's their business, let them. It doesn't cost ANET any money. In fact, transfers will make you money. Give your customers what they want. Unlink the servers and let there be lower population servers if people want to play on them.

I dream for the day WvW has low tier servers again with smaller groups floating around for small skirmishes that don't give the whole map skill lag. It's always satisfying taking a tower with 5 friends and having to fight through another 4-5 players to get to the lord.... A lot better than being 5 players taking a supply camp and having 1 guy watch you until 40 come to defend the one camp from 5 people.

I’d be happy to leave if they are willing to pay for me to transfer to another server at this point. And I don’t mean BG or another full unopened one. However I paid real cash to move a couple years ago and if they want me gone just send me the gems and there one slot they won’t have filled as far as I’m concerned at this point.

Why don't those guilds who are listed on that image go transfer to a medium population server for 500 gems (~130 gold)? A majority of players will have that amount of gold available in either actual gold or raw materials. It should solve a few problems, mainly the fact that they are making the mode bad for the players on JQ who don't want to join in. They will then be a positive to a new server and breathe some life into it. It's a rather selfish viewpoint to expect other players to join JQ.

> @"Vardy.3592" said:

> Why don't those guilds who are listed on that image go transfer to a medium population server for 500 gems (~130 gold)? A majority of players will have that amount of gold available in either actual gold or raw materials. It should solve a few problems, mainly the fact that they are making the mode bad for the players on JQ who don't want to join in. They will then be a positive to a new server and breathe some life into it. It's a rather selfish viewpoint to expect other players to join JQ.

That has been suggested. It is felt that option isn't a good one. All of those guilds wish to play together.

Then you option is clear! Transfer to a server that's not doing a server wide tanking session. The server as a majority decided to tank. Therefore you either adapt or remove yourself from the situation. Which both is clearly your prerogative.

You would be a fool to expect hundreds of players, or more to bow down to your desires. And if you truly feel this way then you should totally reevaluate yourself.

Some servers can adjust their overall playtime and ppt for moving between tiers. Cuz most of their players are guilded so they can well organize. But in some servers, the number of pugs is extremely big, sometimes more than guilded players.

So i can understand as these servers are dead? Their overall playtime won't be reduced cuz it is out of control.

So let me get this right I’m a fool for wanting to actually play a game troll free? Never asked anyone to stop their protest just to let me and others who actually want to play do just that. You with your reply are sounding the exact way you act like I am. Not sure if I wasn’t clear but I’ll try to be More so. I want to know why I should pay with money I work for so self entitled people who could move just as easy but think I’ll throw a tantrum get their way. I’m not paying to leave because in this instance. However I did pay to play a game where I thought it was understood certain things (spamming like a child) were not allowed.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Vardy.3592" said:

> > Why don't those guilds who are listed on that image go transfer to a medium population server for 500 gems (~130 gold)? A majority of players will have that amount of gold available in either actual gold or raw materials. It should solve a few problems, mainly the fact that they are making the mode bad for the players on JQ who don't want to join in. They will then be a positive to a new server and breathe some life into it. It's a rather selfish viewpoint to expect other players to join JQ.

>

> That has been suggested. It is felt that option isn't a good one. All of those guilds wish to play together.

I said they should all transfer. Our current knowledge is that the population status of a world is adjusted every Monday (ANET have said 'periodically' in the FAQ post). So it is quite achieveable to have everyone start to transfer on a certain week once everything is in place.

> @"Vardy.3592" said:

> Why don't those guilds who are listed on that image go transfer to a medium population server for 500 gems (~130 gold)? A majority of players will have that amount of gold available in either actual gold or raw materials. It should solve a few problems, mainly the fact that they are making the mode bad for the players on JQ who don't want to join in. They will then be a positive to a new server and breathe some life into it. It's a rather selfish viewpoint to expect other players to join JQ.

And kill our server? Because you do realize that's basically what you are proposing. Some of us actually like our servers and want to stay. But some guildies are stuck on other servers and want to come over. The entire guild should not have to leave their server for that.

> @"xarallei.4279" said:

> > @"Vardy.3592" said:

> > Why don't those guilds who are listed on that image go transfer to a medium population server for 500 gems (~130 gold)? A majority of players will have that amount of gold available in either actual gold or raw materials. It should solve a few problems, mainly the fact that they are making the mode bad for the players on JQ who don't want to join in. They will then be a positive to a new server and breathe some life into it. It's a rather selfish viewpoint to expect other players to join JQ.

>

> And kill our server? Because you do realize that's basically what you are proposing. Some of us actually like our servers and want to stay. But some guildies are stuck on other servers and want to come over. The entire guild should not have to leave their server for that.

They are stuck on other servers because why?

Mag has been locked for so long, the longest I believe because BG opened while I was on it. I saw many people leave and go to BG, they linked Mag, it did no good and ticked of many commanders who stopped tagging. Mag had trained people up to fight and do well and next thing you know people leave Mag and they get a linked server that has no clue what we do or how they fight. Still to this day it's locked. Finally my bf and I decided to switch back to EU for hopefully more around the clock population and coms. The state of WVW is sad, and it's such a fun game mode, I'm sorry to see it happen. I think opening up EOTM to pips and gliding would be a start to help with the afk issue.