Winter(sday) Is Coming!!!

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> Will it be the copy+paste again after all these years as always or will there be anything new this time?

>

> Dont get me wrong, I like Wintersday, but been here for 5 years and I am getting tired of doing the same content all over again and I am sure many do too.

Nah lets have another 10k beverage achievement, its sooo much fun...

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Every year. But hope springs eternal! :D

> > >

> > > > @"Scarlett.1605" said:

> > > > I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Gaile and Scarlett, if my old, fumbly, medically conditioned fingers can do it, so can you (It helps that I hum a tune as I go along). :)

>

> Oh my god. I can’t believe it, I’m not the only one... Fumbly hands are the worst though!

I call you two and your fumbly hands, and raise you my natural klutziness and a fear of heights. :dizzy:

I did the JP last year for Winter's Presence and honestly, if I can do it, you all can too! I don't like heights either, have fingers which don't obey commands as well as they used to, have social anxiety, epilepsy and stress issues, so I really understand how daunting and annoying the JP can be.

With that in mind, I found the following to be of great help to me in my attempts last year, although YMMV:

Watch a few decently done YouTube videos of other players' runs, so you can figure out where to go (if doing this yourself is too nerve-wracking; I know it is for me, especially with all the other players running at the same time).

Take your time to observe the path you want for as far as you can see it, and time when the snowflakes disappear (sometimes watching other players can help with identifying a cadence to follow). Stick with that beat. For any musicians, get out your metronome, or get your internal beat going.

Orient your camera to the direction of the jump.

Tune out everyone and almost everything else to the best of your ability, and simply concentrate on each individual jump on the beat. Don't fuss over falling the first few times if it's helping you establish the rhythm.

Take your time between runs, too, and give yourself a moment to breathe if you do make an error before starting a new attempt.

Use the midway rest platform for as long as you need to observe how the presents, wind gusts, snowballs, etc in the last part of the puzzle operate.

Oh, if you're a large size character like a norn, pop a quaggan tonic before you run. Be kind to yourself and everyone else!

Remember, you have the whole of Wintersday to figure this out, so don't feel rushed! It's a race, yes, but you do have a little time to figure it out before a fall. Although, if you have a few fails in a row and it feels especially annoying, _quit_! Do something fun instead for a bit, unless you find that you enjoy the puzzle even if you fail it - which is usually how my kid operates, and I took a leaf out of her book last year for my attempts. :) And the skritt _are_ funny. Laugh at the skritt. At least you're not a skritt.

Also, whilst waiting for the fun to land, I'd recommend trying Morgan's Spiral in Caledon Forest for gentle practice in orienting yourself (or even some of the vistas in the Grove will work), then try Spekk's Laboratory, again in Caledon, for the disappearing platform horrors. I don't think the Wintersday JP is really all that different to these. I really hope all of you complete the JP this year - Good Luck all! <3

Here's to a very Merry Wintersday! :D

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > Not being sarcastic here, but can I try out the JP whenever I want without waiting periods like in the Halloween's JP? Haven't been around at the former Wintersday events.

>

>

> yes but sometimes platforms disappear so timing still matters

Disappearing platforms are fine, I just don't want to be put into a queue whenever I fall.

Sweet can't wait. I'm going to be losing a lot of sleep over this. Not going to be fun driving an eight wheeler after getting a few hours of sleep.

Anyway I'll manage my time so I get plenty of sleep.

P.S. Santa Charr is going to love it. Time to hire his Asura so he can get all the gifts for Santa Charr while Santa Charr sits back and relaxes. Muhahaha

> @"Evga.2471" said:

> Sweet can't wait. I'm going to be losing a lot of sleep over this. Not going to be fun driving an eight wheeler after getting a few hours of sleep.

>

> Anyway I'll manage my time so I get plenty of sleep.

>

> P.S. Santa Charr is going to love it. Time to hire his Asura so he can get all the gifts for Santa Charr while Santa Charr sits back and relaxes. Muhahaha

Lol., Wintersday does bring out the festive Charr. (lol the 2nd Charr invasion?) I can't wait to see them all about DR and everyone for that matter. Fun to see everyone running around and derping in DR.

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> Disappearing platforms are fine, I just don't want to be put into a queue whenever I fall.

Thankfully, the Wintersday JP doesn't work like the Halloween one where you have to wait for everyone to finish (or fail) before you can try again. So if you fall you can restart from the beginning immediately regardless of anyone else's progress. :)

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > Disappearing platforms are fine, I just don't want to be put into a queue whenever I fall.

>

> Exactly why I won't do Clocktower or Wintersday JP.

> Or, to be honest, most of the story instance achievements.

>

> ANet does not believe in "Fail Faster." -_-

But Bad Wolf says it's not like this in the Wintersday JP, so I'll definitely try it out.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Every year. But hope springs eternal! :D

> > > >

> > > > > @"Scarlett.1605" said:

> > > > > I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Gaile and Scarlett, if my old, fumbly, medically conditioned fingers can do it, so can you (It helps that I hum a tune as I go along). :)

> >

> > Oh my god. I can’t believe it, I’m not the only one... Fumbly hands are the worst though!

>

> I call you two and your fumbly hands, and raise you my natural klutziness and a fear of heights. :dizzy:

Funny thing, because even though it's a game, when I am doing some jumping puzzles I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach.... Bravo! ( I think? )

> @"Scarlett.1605" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > > @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > > > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > > Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Every year. But hope springs eternal! :D

> > > > >

> > > > > > @"Scarlett.1605" said:

> > > > > > I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Gaile and Scarlett, if my old, fumbly, medically conditioned fingers can do it, so can you (It helps that I hum a tune as I go along). :)

> > >

> > > Oh my god. I can’t believe it, I’m not the only one... Fumbly hands are the worst though!

> >

> > I call you two and your fumbly hands, and raise you my natural klutziness and a fear of heights. :dizzy:

>

> Funny thing, because even though it's a game, when I am doing some jumping puzzles I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach.... Bravo! ( I think? )

Aww me too. But that feeling gets better when you Complete it!

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Ceridwen.6703" said:

> I did the JP last year for Winter's Presence and honestly, if I can do it, you all can too! I don't like heights either, have fingers which don't obey commands as well as they used to, have social anxiety, epilepsy and stress issues, so I really understand how daunting and annoying the JP can be.

>

> With that in mind, I found the following to be of great help to me in my attempts last year, although YMMV:

>

> Watch a few decently done YouTube videos of other players' runs, so you can figure out where to go (if doing this yourself is too nerve-wracking; I know it is for me, especially with all the other players running at the same time).

>

> Take your time to observe the path you want for as far as you can see it, and time when the snowflakes disappear (sometimes watching other players can help with identifying a cadence to follow). Stick with that beat. For any musicians, get out your metronome, or get your internal beat going.

>

> Orient your camera to the direction of the jump.

>

> Tune out everyone and almost everything else to the best of your ability, and simply concentrate on each individual jump on the beat. Don't fuss over falling the first few times if it's helping you establish the rhythm.

>

> Take your time between runs, too, and give yourself a moment to breathe if you do make an error before starting a new attempt.

>

> Use the midway rest platform for as long as you need to observe how the presents, wind gusts, snowballs, etc in the last part of the puzzle operate.

>

> Oh, if you're a large size character like a norn, pop a quaggan tonic before you run. Be kind to yourself and everyone else!

>

> Remember, you have the whole of Wintersday to figure this out, so don't feel rushed! It's a race, yes, but you do have a little time to figure it out before a fall. Although, if you have a few fails in a row and it feels especially annoying, _quit_! Do something fun instead for a bit, unless you find that you enjoy the puzzle even if you fail it - which is usually how my kid operates, and I took a leaf out of her book last year for my attempts. :) And the skritt _are_ funny. Laugh at the skritt. At least you're not a skritt.

>

> Also, whilst waiting for the fun to land, I'd recommend trying Morgan's Spiral in Caledon Forest for gentle practice in orienting yourself (or even some of the vistas in the Grove will work), then try Spekk's Laboratory, again in Caledon, for the disappearing platform horrors. I don't think the Wintersday JP is really all that different to these. I really hope all of you complete the JP this year - Good Luck all! <3

>

> Here's to a very Merry Wintersday! :D

This is incredibly helpful advice! Thank you for sharing your tips and I'm sure I'll get farther -- maybe even succeed -- for your having done so! <3