Zooming in on item previews?

Maybe i'm just missing it after being gone for so long. But how come you cannot zoom in on items you preview or even when using the wardrobe? It'd be nice to be able to get up close and personal when customizing an outfit. The reading glasses are a great example, within the current preview in the gemstore/wardrobe as far as I can see they aren't even noticeable. To be able to zoom in and freely rotate and move the character around the window so you can see all the detail of your outfit or item you're viewing would be really helpful when creating the custom outfits.

> @"Nikal.4921" said:

> I have suffered frustration several times with the inability to zoom in while trying on glasses and other smaller items. I'm used to preview window zoom in other games and think we could really use it here.

I think that's where i'm struggling tbh. I want to make all these outfits but after being gone for like 4 years and playing other mmos and other games that have that feature it just feels bare and lacking when trying to do it here.

The preview panel is full of issues:

* You can't apply dyes from the dye panel, even if you've unlocked the colors.

* The are only 4 dye channels that are applied to all gear, even though ANet isn't at all consistent about assigning like elements to the same channel.

* Particle effects aren't displayed

* You can't change the lighting, which has a profound impact on how things look.

* You can't display a weapon set, just one weapon at a time.

* The panel isn't big enough to display certain weapons.

* The panel doesn't seem to use the same level of detail as in game.

I'm probably missing a few others, including the OP's point: we can't zoom.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The preview panel is full of issues:

> * You can't apply dyes from the dye panel, even if you've unlocked the colors.

> * The are only 4 dye channels that are applied to all gear, even though ANet isn't at all consistent about assigning like elements to the same channel.

> * Particle effects aren't displayed

> * You can't change the lighting, which has a profound impact on how things look.

> * You can't display a weapon set, just one weapon at a time.

> * The panel isn't big enough to display certain weapons.

> * The panel doesn't seem to use the same level of detail as in game.

>

> I'm probably missing a few others, including the OP's point: we can't zoom.

There's certainly alot things that can help with making our avatars unique, including everything you listed. but one step at a time :). I know its been out for 5 years and I know there wasn't a zoom feature on release. it'd be nice to petition them to get a really nice wardrobe set up for us though. Especially considering gw2 is one of the few games I can think of off the top of my head where ALL gear you pick up and ALL Costumes / Outfits you buy are straight up account wide. I don't need to farm for a bow for a ranger solely on my ranger if it drops for me on my ele then I have it for everyone that uses a bow. So it's definitely disappointing to see such a lackluster wardrobe system.

> @"Akushitsuna.5608" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > The preview panel is full of issues:

> > * You can't apply dyes from the dye panel, even if you've unlocked the colors.

> > * The are only 4 dye channels that are applied to all gear, even though ANet isn't at all consistent about assigning like elements to the same channel.

> > * Particle effects aren't displayed

> > * You can't change the lighting, which has a profound impact on how things look.

> > * You can't display a weapon set, just one weapon at a time.

> > * The panel isn't big enough to display certain weapons.

> > * The panel doesn't seem to use the same level of detail as in game.

> >

> > I'm probably missing a few others, including the OP's point: we can't zoom.

>

> one step at a time

Actually, I think this is a good example of when it's time for a complete overhaul. Fixing stuff piecemeal is ultimately more expensive, as any result ends up a kludge of different programmers with different solutions for different issues. I think it would be better to get nothing for a while and end up with a comprehensive solution that gives us a more substantive preview panel.

If I had to pick a single thing from the list, Zoom would probably be the last. Your mileage will, of course, vary.

Yea gemstore is supposed to be Anet's money cow but after all the years they still haven't added zoom in preview so i can see that tiny eye patch or anything else i could possibly buy.

**Fashion Wars** with still only a simple preview *facepalm*

And there are so many issues with just a "simple" preview as it is. Like total makeover kit preview still ignores your hidden helmet/shoulders etc and i need to switch to character and unequip them and then open kit again...

These million little annoying things add up you know..

> > one step at a time

>

> Actually, I think this is a good example of when it's time for a complete overhaul. Fixing stuff piecemeal is ultimately more expensive, as any result ends up a kludge of different programmers with different solutions for different issues. I think it would be better to get nothing for a while and end up with a comprehensive solution that gives us a more substantive preview panel.

>

> If I had to pick a single thing from the list, Zoom would probably be the last. Your mileage will, of course, vary.

Posting at 2am wasn't the best idea xD. You are right though thinking about it not sleep deprived a complete overhaul would definitely be needed. I'm no dev but I can't imagine it would eat up a ton of resources to throw these features into the already existing preview and wardrobe systems. I feel lighting would be their biggest obstacle as they'd need to create a backdrop and such to place the character on and multiple light angles. Personally I wouldn't need all the lighting and extra stuff just on my equipment windows. Basically they need to revamp the wardrobe completely like you said.

I will say though you mention it's better nothing for awhile and getting the complete package in one swoop. I feel 3 1/2 years is more than enough time for some level of improvement to have already been done though. Considering the wardrobe feature was released April 2014. To me this says that it really isn't on their radar at all for one reason or another. I will say before I even made this post I googled and searched both the forums and reddit for anything talking about this particular subject and I couldn't find anything. This leads me to believe that no one has ever really said anything, if they have it's been in a single one off post somewhere buried or the post is long gone.

@"Akushitsuna.5608" I'm entirely in agreement that the preview panel is long due for an overhaul. (People were pointing out some of the above during BETA, not just the last 3.5 years.) Unfortunately, regardless of what we'd like to be true, things are as they are. I'd still rather wait another 2 years for a good solution than get a half-baked one in the next six months. (That's me, though; reasonable minds can differ.)

The other "unfortunately" is that it's pretty hard for gamers to judge whether something is easy to change or even should be easy. Since the game has zoon, it seems like it ought to be trivial to add it to preview. But the fact that zoom isn't included is evidence that there's some reason why things work differently in the preview panel and that difference might be enough to make this all really complicated.

PS I'm not surprised you couldn't find older posts on the topic. First, the archives old forums aren't yet covered by the crawlers of the various search engines; even you do a site-specific search, you won't find most posts. Second, while there have been posts, it's not a frequent specific request, i.e. it tends to be included in a list of changes to the UI. I think I've seen probably a dozen or so in the 5.5 years (including during the pre-launch BETA) and I doubt very much if I've seen them all. Regardless, always better to make the suggestion and find out you can merge it with an existing request than put off the suggestion.