Strange FPS/Lag/Ping Issue

This will sound very strange, but I've recently noticed some horrible horrible FPS Drops/Lag/Ping issues and this happens in some very strange ways.

I have a specific instance of this issue I've been exploring recently (the other being discord overlay causing horrible lag - but i've not toyed enough with this).

Some pretext:

* I have a dual monitor set up.

* I run in Windowed Full Screen.

* My Resolution is a scaled down version of 1080p (1824 x 1026) to fit on my 720p TV screen.

* I'm hard lined (CAT 5e) to my router (up to 1Gbps - ISP does 80Mbps)

* I've tried adjusting to Best Performance, using regular Full Screen, toggling Vsync and Best Performance/Appearance for both Windowed and Full screen versions

* I'm running a GTX 960 that has been overclocked carefully

* I have been monitoring CPU usage and network usage and all things are well below a 60% max capacity

* I just took apart my computer, cleaned everything and reassembled.

* This issue is new

I noticed that when I go to my bank and hover very quickly back and forth repeatedly over my icons in the bank/inventory sections that my FPS can drop to a range of [1-10). For awhile I noticed that Ping was skyrocketing to 2k+ and the R value of arcdps dropping to ~8 <= x <= 15. As soon as I stop this ridiculous mouse waving - everything goes to normal.

Frames and ping haven't been great lately compared to what I'm used to and I'm not sure why, but they've often been at a tolerable level of semi-fluid slideshow viewing experience - now with extra choppiness.

I can provide more details if needed, but I'm hoping this is fixable.

Update:

Just ran a GPU test and got the following results...

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS: 54.0

Score: 1361

Min FPS: 22.0

Max FPS: 106.8

System

Platform: Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit

CPU Model: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor (4018MHz) x4

GPU Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 23.21.13.8813 (4095MB) x1

Settings

Render: Direct3D11

Mode: 1824x1026 4xAA fullscreen

Quality: Ultra

Tessellation: Disabled

Also, I used Free Camera and had perfect response from my GPU - staying 50FPS+ on average with no issue even with crazy camera moving.

This leads me to think that the issue is not primarily on my end (though I don't know if it could be my ISP yet - ping from everything else seems fine so far...)

Update:

It appears that the Lag/FPS drops also are occurring more frequently when I use my right-click to control the camera instead of just turning using the keyboard.

The game is near unplayable when using the mouse instead of the keyboard presently due to high ping, low frames, and an R value (from arcdps) that is entirely erratic indicating an unstable connection. However, I stress that it is in fact primarily this way only when using the mouse for camera control and hovering over elements in the game. Keyboard play seems to be mostly unaffected apart from more latency than usual.

Update 2:

I've also noticed that erratic movement of the mouse over objects in general is causing the game to stop responding.

Update:

Did a trace route from my guild hall's ip since it was still lagging here (as with many other maps)

C:\>tracert 52.7.226.121

Tracing route to ec2-52-7-226-121.compute-1.amazonaws.com [52.7.226.121]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms [My IP]

2 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms 10.49.0.1

3 15 ms 11 ms 24 ms 24-220-7-32-static.midco.net [24.220.7.32]

4 10 ms 13 ms 20 ms 24-220-7-226-static.midco.net [24.220.7.226]

5 13 ms 12 ms 13 ms 24-220-14-92-static.midco.net [24.220.14.92]

6 50 ms 50 ms 48 ms equinix02-iad2.amazon.com [206.126.236.35]

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 73 ms 74 ms 121 ms 54.239.110.157

10 76 ms 61 ms 55 ms 54.239.111.29

11 54 ms 53 ms 55 ms 52.93.24.8

12 54 ms 54 ms 50 ms 205.251.244.77

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.

26 * * * Request timed out.

27 * * * Request timed out.

28 * * * Request timed out.

29 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

This seems a bit strange?

You are not alone. Even when I change the graphics to lowest still persist the problem of the low fps. Its UNPLAYABLE.

It's not my pc. It's new and its a gaming pc. It's from the game. Something that makes the fps to drop.

I just quit the game because i was in a middle of a fractal and 3 of us had this issue.

Also i experienced those crash Dragon Ruler X.8512 said. It's stops to work and i can't even quit the game normal with alt+F4, I have to close pc session.

Please, ANET, make someone or someones to fix this problem. It's not me alone. Unplayable!!!! Fix this soon.

Update:

I'm noticing that the issue only occurs when waving the mouse wildly over the game screen when the game is in focus. I can focus something on a different monitor and wave my mouse as much as I want (over the game screen or not) - no issues, but after I focus the game and wave it around (specifically over the game screen - not my other monitor screens) the FPS drops to <5 on average, ping spikes up to a minimum of around 200, but can go as high as 4k, and the R value of arcdps metrics fluctuates wildly.

I'd also like to point out that arcdps is reading Guild Wars 2 data - so that R value is important - I just don't know in what way. What I do know is whenever I have horrible lag or my skills stop responding - that value is not 25, colored white, or stable.

@"DarkEmiLupus.2876"

Thanks for chiming in - i'm mostly hoping other people with this issue will be able to identify it here and we can help Anet resolve the problem.

I don't get this when I do it in my bank, though I did notice some serious lag spikes and frame rate drops on my laptop some time ago. Do a check for me. When it happens, open up task manager and check your disk usage. I noticed when my frame rate dropped under 1, in my case, the disk usage was pinned at 100%. Now my laptop is ancient with a first gen i7 and an nVidia 445 video card, so I never really expect great frame rates. I typically get around 25fps (A little less in the PoF maps) but when this happens I get about 1 frame every 6 seconds.

We actually had it happen to us during The Serpents' Ire meta event in Vabbi the other night. Slowed down to under 10fps for about 30 seconds, this was after killing the 5th zealot and we were on our way to Sebelkeh for the next phase. A number mentioned it in map chat and it and caused a bunch of us to get dismounted mid flight. This was on my desktop gaming rig with an i7-7700k processor, 16GB of RAM, nVidia 1080 video card and GW2 installed on a 6Gbps M.2 drive.

> @"Dragon Ruler X.8512" said:

> Update:

>

> Did a trace route from my guild hall's ip since it was still lagging here (as with many other maps)

>

> C:\>tracert 52.7.226.121

>

> Tracing route to ec2-52-7-226-121.compute-1.amazonaws.com [52.7.226.121]

> over a maximum of 30 hops:

>

> 1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms [My IP]

> 2 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms 10.49.0.1

> 3 15 ms 11 ms 24 ms 24-220-7-32-static.midco.net [24.220.7.32]

> 4 10 ms 13 ms 20 ms 24-220-7-226-static.midco.net [24.220.7.226]

> 5 13 ms 12 ms 13 ms 24-220-14-92-static.midco.net [24.220.14.92]

> 6 50 ms 50 ms 48 ms equinix02-iad2.amazon.com [206.126.236.35]

> 7 * * * Request timed out.

> 8 * * * Request timed out.

> 9 73 ms 74 ms 121 ms 54.239.110.157

> 10 76 ms 61 ms 55 ms 54.239.111.29

> 11 54 ms 53 ms 55 ms 52.93.24.8

> 12 54 ms 54 ms 50 ms 205.251.244.77

> 13 * * * Request timed out.

> 14 * * * Request timed out.

> 15 * * * Request timed out.

> 16 * * * Request timed out.

> 17 * * * Request timed out.

> 18 * * * Request timed out.

> 19 * * * Request timed out.

> 20 * * * Request timed out.

> 21 * * * Request timed out.

> 22 * * * Request timed out.

> 23 * * * Request timed out.

> 24 * * * Request timed out.

> 25 * * * Request timed out.

> 26 * * * Request timed out.

> 27 * * * Request timed out.

> 28 * * * Request timed out.

> 29 * * * Request timed out.

> 30 * * * Request timed out.

>

> Trace complete.

>

> This seems a bit strange?

I get that a lot.

But I am told each and every time it's on my end.

And I know it is not.

#Computer/NetworkExpert 25+ years

• 2 weeks later...

Update (Delayed due to Holidays):

Lag/Frame drops are still persisting.

I was in Sparkfly Fen with over 80 FPS sitting still and decided to wave my mouse to test if the issue was persisting and the game basically was brought to a halt.

I've now changed maps to Bloodstone Fen and have noticed that the issue went away.

Current theory at the moment (highly unfounded, but just a thought):

Each map and their respective instances have varying IP and Sockets which means that each map and instance should have slightly different routing paths to some degree. I'm not sure where the bottleneck is in this process of retrieving information from Anet and processing it on my side, but I can still say the following...

1) I don't have this issue with other PC games.

2) GPU tests all are around previous scores which means the "working" state of my PC has not changed.

3) Nothing else (High CPU usage + High Internet activity) has affected me outside of game.

4) FPS/Ping get affected differently when the game is in focus or not when choosing to wave the mouse.

5) I did a speed test while Gw2 is up (and in focus), the mouse is waving rapidly, and I have YouTube (movie visible and not choppy - remember Gw2 is in-focus so most CPU efforts should be going there), Discord, and other applications running to increase CPU load and network load. I got a ping of 11ms (in game was 1k+), download of 74.23 Mbps, and Upload of 7.73 Mbps - frames stayed around 1-5 FPS during this.

I also went home for the holidays and tested there - we have the same ISP in both places. The computer there is older and has many problems - GPU is a GTX 555 and the processor is an Intel 4th Gen i7 - and this computer also had a fair amount of lag/FPS drops too.

I'm also hearing a lot of players have quit due to the frame / lag issues - I'm not sure what's going on, but it's bothering me that I've not seen any constructive information on how to possibly fix this yet :(

Update:

I may have found the issue, but i'm still in the testing phases of this.

I noticed a highly bizarre issue with the Discord Overlay functionality when relocating the docking point on my screen. When attempting to interact with the dock the game would freeze entirely - 0 FPS, but other applications would work just fine. After turning off the Discord Overlay feature all FPS/Ping issues (including mouse waving) went away almost instantly. Looking back at the Discord update logs there was an update around the same time I started noticing the issues I've described above in this thread. The above remains true in that I have not changed anything, but that I did in fact receive and update from Discord around the time of incidence.

What's still strange is that the Task Manager Performance Monitor does not show any noticeable Disk, CPU, Memory, or Network spikes at all when the FPS and Ping fluctuate. I'll be testing this out further to see if the Discord Overlay functions differently in Admin mode and such just to cover all the bases. I'm mostly curious because I'm aware some applications (Ventrilo and TeamSpeak) have had issues with PTT or Overlays working in-game when not ran as Admin.

I'm rather sad that this may be the cause since I like my Discord Overlay, but it'll greatly improve my in-game experience if it is the only issue I'm contending with presently.

Update:

It seems that the Discord Overlay functionality is indeed the culprit.

After encountering the horrible change in performance I terminated Discord and all the issues instantly went away. I followed this by engaging Discord again to see if the issues returned - they did. I then tried simply turning off the overlay feature and all the problems went away. I did the same procedure with Admin mode engaged on Discord and Guild Wars 2 both individually and simultaneously to see how things were affected. In all cases in which Discord was running with the overlay active - the game would experience the previously mentioned complications.

I then got a friend to try this on their computer with the following procedure.

1) Trigger the stalling effect

1a) Bind a hotkey for moving the overlay docking point

1b) Load [Game] (This description is for Guild Wars 2)

1c) Use the hotkey in-game to force the stalling effect

2) Regain control

2a) Click off screen (multi-monitor setup)

2b) Click on Guild Wars 2 away from the docking point

3) Test Performance

3a) Wave mouse

3b) Spin camera

4) Disable Overlay

5) Test Performance (again)

We encountered all the same problems as I described before hand.

I then had them test on other PC games for similar issues (I don't have other PC games).

We confirmed that this is an issue for other games too.

In fact one of their games fully crashed when attempting to initiate their hotkey binding.

I'm fairly certain the issue is actually related to Discord more so than Guild Wars 2, but there was one other very strange oddity that needs to be mentioned which still shows that Guild Wars 2 does in fact have some particular flaw regarding this procedure. We had somehow caused all character portraits to be reversed to where you were looking at the back of everyone's head. Whether or not this is related to the issues described is unknown, but it is a byproduct of the results.

Below is a screenshot from my friends computer (anonymized on their behalf) of this issue:

![](http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q617/DragonRulerX/issue_zpsi2pnaqdp.png "")

• 1 month later...