Advice for a returning player

Peekaboo.9160

Hey all,

used to play this game somewhat few years ago, just up to end game content, unfortunately didn't have time to dive deeper into it.

Now I would like to give it a go again - and decided to get my mesmer up to 80. So, the question (well, questions :)) is...

Any idea for non specialized build to start doing lvl 80 last expansion content? Right now I have soldiers equipment from that gift box.

I guess the idea for later should be aiming for mirage/chrono, but atm would be nice to gear up for landscape pve, to familiarize myself with the game and class as well.

What weapon combo and what armor should I look for as well? Still didn't start specialization, as I need points, is there any guide around that can help me understand where to get them best.

Atm its all a bit overwhelming, but was expecting that. Still, hoping for a good advice here in general where and what to do next :)

If you're on a US server, hit me up in game, on Vayne.8563 . I'm sure I can help you out with mesmer stuff.

The short answer is, until you've unlocked your elite specs, the cheapest best thing you can probably do is go with berzerker gear. Condition damage mesmers are very popular, and if that's the case you should consider dire gear. You can't use vipers gear if you don't own HoT and it's not that easy to get even if you have HoT. Same can be said for the good condition damage gear from PoF.

1st you have to decide whether you want to play a power or condition damage build. Based on your decisionand to start with get some at least exotic power (Berserker) or condition (e.g. Rabid) gear either on TP or craft it yourself or buy it for karma in one of the temples in Orr. Best gear would be Viper's as it adds both power and condi but you can only reach that by playing HoT. The runes that are already slotted in the karma-gear refer to the related temple where one can buy them, at least the Berserker ones you should change for more suitable ones. Also look for power or condition weapons again at least exotic ones.

I play a non-shatter power build and had no issues soloing PoF and new LW story missions:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAW8clknhC0YhawSNQtGLqGEZAqwOR7SauSZHKxAA-e

If I play in a party, I swap from Domination 2,3,3 to Domination 2,2,3 and use the healing signet instead of ether feast. Depending on the encounter also the elite can be swapped for the signet (huge breakbar reduction) and the defender for portal or whatever is needed.

If I want more defense and small healing support, I swap Domination for Inspiration 3,3,2

I still use a staff as second weapon because of its AoE and mobility.

Especially in HoT and PoF always at least summon 1 Phantasmal Disenchanter in every fight, because hostile conditions are the thing that will bother you the most.

Greetings,

I'm running a Chrono in open world and group content. It can get all the stuff done but you must take notice that condibuilds atm seems to be the better choice if you want to get it done fast.

Most of the time i'm running full zerker sword/sword or focus (mobpulls/reflect) and sword shield (cc and doubleblock). GS is kinda bad but sometimes it can be usefull to carry one with you.

If I'm exploring solo or more survivability/condicleans are needed i use Chrono 3/3/3 Duel 1/3/1 or 3 if i want shattering all the time and Inspiration 1/2/1 or 1/1/1 for refelect. Chrono and duel i'm using nearly all the time Inspiration get swapped out for other spectraits if needed.

If u need more HP to unlock Chrono/Mirage take a look into the groupfinder tool. At primetime there are often HP runs. If you want to play a powerbuild u can easily get berserker gear by buying it from the karma npc at the temple of grenth or for the map currency on the first hot map but u need to unlock the speech mastery for the selling vendor.

SunTzu, tnx for the reply, I guess from what I read, zerk gear would be something to start with.

Also, found this guide for unlocking hp:

https://www.google.hr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3td33y/a_soloable_hp_guide_for_getting_all_your_specs/&ved=2ahUKEwjTqd7365DYAhXM-6QKHY-ZDe4QFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2BKI7lEEJpAFVWksjP0K3w&ampcf=1

is it viable or outdated, since its from 2015?

Like the guy before me mentioned it's vaible. You should notice that some areas need unlocked masterys like gliding, jumping shrooms, updrafts or poisonmastery. You also can search on YT for walktrough mastery/hp vids. A lot of HoT maps, especially tangled depths could be very wired to make the way trough the first time, in case of the map design. Overall u are in a good spot to solo the most of the HP as Mesmer. For this i would recommend carring a GS a secondary weapon with you. A lot of HP bosses like the Chack HP in verdant brink can be soloed out of the distance, by standing on a rock to avoid aoe, more easily than facing them in close combat. If u having any problems with a HP mob you can also ask in the mapchat for some helping hands. There a lot of other players out there wich don't have any problems by helping out a returning or rookie player.

Tnx again :)

Ok, got myself zerk gear with scholar runes, orange s/s and staff with force/air sigils, ascendant laurel amulet (i guess will save some laurels for condi gear later) and some zerk jewellry.

cleared verdant brink for hp, but still need like 100+ more.

i guess I'll aim for some kind of mirage build next, and that might take some time :)

the question you should ask is what do you want to do? if you like doing condi go with mirrage in pve its so strong, if you like power mirrage is good and you can do crono too, if you want to do raiding crono is the one you want most of the time. as for gear vipers for condi, you can do zerker/assasion for the power set, and raiding i do full minstrals so i can tank. wepons for condi are axe torch septor and pistal, for powere and raiding you can do sword main shield focuse and/or sword. this is the basic stuff i use for my build unless i do wvw then that is like more sets of gear i need. i hop this helped you get what you need for your setup i did not talk about the traits for the reson its up to you to make the choices for you to stand out.