So uhh... why no capes?

Thorment.7945

> @"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:

> > @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > I'll never understand what this fascination with capes is.

>

> It was a major thing in GW1 that many players liked. Every player would automatically have a cape showing off their Guild's emblem. If you saw a bunch of players with the same cape, you knew it was some kind of guild activity.

>

> I don't think capes would work in GW2 as good as they did in GW1. We already have so many back-items that the capes would be pretty rare. You could make stupid rules like "everyone has to wear their cape during guild missions", but that would feel forced. If capes had been introduced to GW2 before the first Halloween event, when we had 0 back item skins, they could've worked.

>

> I think the argument ANet gave against capes was that they don't work well with the Charrs' hunched backs. And since they didn't know how to make capes work on one race, none of the races got capes. Or was it a problem with stowed 2h weapons? I don't remember that precisely.

> @"CJFreeze.1368" said:

> Endless soul and for those wondering. Capes were around in the first GW. for GW vets like me its weird not seeing capes. I do miss capes...

I know, I played Guild Wars 1 since 2005, and I thought they looked ridiculous then too (I always had mine off. :) ).

> @"Gilgamesh VII.8690" said:

> Because **CLIPPING** and I think people would like the capes physics that would take up alot of resources if everyone was wearing one, so I would expect lower fps. Also **clipping**.

>

> I don't mind clipping as I try and work around it.

Nonsense. There have existed multiple MMOs that have capes. But this is not a superhero MMO.

Oh, sorry, I meant to say, GW2 has capes, except they're called "medium armor." =)

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> so fun ppl say it take so much resources to add physics on capes, GW1 has it since day one and i see no performance drop.

This is guild wars 2 we are talking about. The kind of quality we kinda expect when it comes to physics of a cape will be more complex then that of GW1.

Then we gotta look at how it will impact on performance in city's and in fights. Then there's clipping with all types of armor and buttcapes and imagin Charrs trying to have capes it just would not work at all on Charrs, unless it hides head and shoulder gear then they all can look like the beast.

It's not as simple as saying 'well GW1 had it' because GW2 is a completly diffrent game with many more complex features and characters models.

If Anet wanted us to have capes we would already have it at release but there's a reason why we don't have it and only Anet can tell us why.

> @"Gilgamesh VII.8690" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > so fun ppl say it take so much resources to add physics on capes, GW1 has it since day one and i see no performance drop.

>

> This is guild wars 2 we are talking about. The kind of quality we kinda expect when it comes to physics of a cape will be more complex then that of GW1.

>

> Then we gotta look at how it will impact on performance in city's and in fights. Then there's clipping with all types of armor and buttcapes and imagin Charrs trying to have capes it just would not work at all on Charrs, unless it hides head and shoulder gear then they all can look like the beast.

>

> It's not as simple as saying 'well GW1 had it' because GW2 is a completly diffrent game with many more complex features and characters models.

>

> If Anet wanted us to have capes we would already have it at release but there's a reason why we don't have it and only Anet can tell us why.

1. GW2 is build over GW1, everything we need for capes already exists in-game, they just don't use it.

2. the reason why they don't do capes is because of charr, they need to make something that doesn't clip with charr models.