Mesmer (Chronomancer) build for Raids and WvW

Monkey boy.1697

Hi, everyone I hope you are enjoying the month of December.

I have a full set of selectable stats ascended accessories and armour/weps and before I select anything I wanted some help on a build that I have done so much research on but I just can not decide, nor can I find any reputable or knowledgeable vets to help finalize. Regardless, I want to create a tank/healing focused or tank/damage focused (whichever makes more sense) build that works for WvW (frontline/zerg) and Raids. I've heard that I would probably want to mix Zerk and Commander or Minstreal gear but I'm not sure what setup I should use in order to mix the two stats. I've decided on leadership runes but I'm confused on the rest. I really hope such a build is viable and any insight is welcomed please! Thank you everyone and happy holidays again. Essentially, I want to be able to be in the zerg and stay alive while healing/tanking, and dishing out cc while providing boons to allies. OR if it's a better idea, I wouldn't mind taking the route where I am a tank bruiser instead.

This is what I came up with so far. Please tweak the gear, traits, and anything as you see fit and provide some feedback please :D

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAseWn0nBFphVpBGoBEgiFVjiMAGhi7MJWipreZn2qF-jlCXABhoHo09Hw7RAItSweUVh3zAwoaCGWJFAKXmVtCSBk5KN-w

I'm not an elite mesmer like so many other surely are on this forum, but here's my IMO.

Tbh 500 hp does bugger all for the mesmer, you need 1000 or more to really get heals out of it. Your shatters and power return will heal a whooping 100hp more... Best case scenario is regen and mantra heal but even so we are talking about like 60 more hp/s for regen and 500hp more for mantra heal. An ele heal more by sneezing accidentally.

First thing first - throw away that staff. You dont need it to tank. It's pretty much useless in WvW unless you want the enemy to laugh themselves to death. Use a greatsword on power builds.

If you want a real bruiser, I would suggest cavalier weapons, marauder armor, cavalier/knight mix of trinkets. You should achieve more power, considerably more toughness, similar hitpoints and you can swap something to cruelty sigil for more crit dmg, or bloodlust if you want. The extra damage should balance out nicely against what mental anguish offer so you can scrap that entire worthless tree and pick dueling with dodge clone, reflect on dodge (or finesse if you want the shorter cd on blur) and that extra safety with stealth on low hp. This will not only make you strong at zerging, but also capable of taking on pretty much anything alone. Well except spellbreakers maybe. Signet of inspiration I would swap for blink. I run something similar with mirage in WvW. Even when considered "weak" compared to a true shatter burst mesmer, this is the kind of build that can run near/in the frontline and almost instantly down any zerker at 1200 range in the enemy group (bonus points for meteor shower happy zerker eles), followed by teleporting in and stomping him when 20 people are running confused around wondering wtf just happened.

Now, granted you do loose 30% concentration or so but really, your boons will be all conditions quick enough anyway, you dont need to help the million enemy scourges that will be near you.

If you want to be healer/tank you need to go full minstrel, or your healing will be always subpar (there is not midways with mesmer, or full damage or full healing).

The goal is having a lot of healing power and modifiers to boost the outgoing healing through sigils / runes.

Runes of monk is the best choice, if you don't have , runes of water is an okish alternative meanwhile waiting for monk. If you are scared of conditions leadership is ok, maybe too expensive and lower your healing power.

I like the domination traitline, I would take Confunding Suggestions, Shattered Concentration, Power Block.

You can also drop domination for chaos and use Chaotic interruption too.

Both cases, staff is still useful, chaos storm is going to provide you a lot of interrupts.

> @"mammasaura.5907" said:

> If you want to be healer/tank you need to go full minstrel, or your healing will be always subpar (there is not midways with mesmer, or full damage or full healing).

> The goal is having a lot of healing power and modifiers to boost the outgoing healing through sigils / runes.

> Runes of monk is the best choice, if you don't have , runes of water is an okish alternative meanwhile waiting for monk. If you are scared of conditions leadership is ok, maybe too expensive and lower your healing power.

>

> I like the domination traitline, I would take Confunding Suggestions, Shattered Concentration, Power Block.

> You can also drop domination for chaos and use Chaotic interruption too.

> Both cases, staff is still useful, chaos storm is going to provide you a lot of interrupts.

I'm committing to full tank/support for boonshare, heals, and cleansing cc bot. This is what I changed around with help from your suggestions and others! What do you think? I swapped for Chaos traitline instead and changed gear/acc stats and runes. Do you think Durability runes over Monks is a good idea?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAseWn0nBFphVpBGoBEgiFhj6MD2gRzcAagAoeTH1SF-jFC1wAAOFA7U/Zl+AW7PQ8JAoVJ4SlWGUmQKgMXpB-w

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> I'm not an elite mesmer like so many other surely are on this forum, but here's my IMO.

>

> Tbh 500 hp does kitten all for the mesmer, you need 1000 or more to really get heals out of it. Your shatters and power return will heal a whooping 100hp more... Best case scenario is regen and mantra heal but even so we are talking about like 60 more hp/s for regen and 500hp more for mantra heal. An ele heal more by sneezing accidentally.

>

> First thing first - throw away that staff. You dont need it to tank. It's pretty much useless in WvW unless you want the enemy to laugh themselves to death. Use a greatsword on power builds.

>

> If you want a real bruiser, I would suggest cavalier weapons, marauder armor, cavalier/knight mix of trinkets. You should achieve more power, considerably more toughness, similar hitpoints and you can swap something to cruelty sigil for more crit dmg, or bloodlust if you want. The extra damage should balance out nicely against what mental anguish offer so you can scrap that entire worthless tree and pick dueling with dodge clone, reflect on dodge (or finesse if you want the shorter cd on blur) and that extra safety with stealth on low hp. This will not only make you strong at zerging, but also capable of taking on pretty much anything alone. Well except spellbreakers maybe. Signet of inspiration I would swap for blink. I run something similar with mirage in WvW. Even when considered "weak" compared to a true shatter burst mesmer, this is the kind of build that can run near/in the frontline and almost instantly down any zerker at 1200 range in the enemy group (bonus points for meteor shower happy zerker eles), followed by teleporting in and stomping him when 20 people are running confused around wondering kitten just happened.

>

> Now, granted you do loose 30% concentration or so but really, your boons will be all conditions quick enough anyway, you dont need to help the million enemy scourges that will be near you.

I'm committing to full tank/support for boonshare, heals, and cleansing cc bot. This is what I changed around with help from your suggestions and others! What do you think? I swapped for Chaos traitline instead and changed gear/acc stats and runes. Do you think Durability runes over Monks is a good idea?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAseWn0nBFphVpBGoBEgiFhj6MD2gRzcAagAoeTH1SF-jFC1wAAOFA7U/Zl+AW7PQ8JAoVJ4SlWGUmQKgMXpB-w

In PvE, the only thing that matters is achieving the necessary boon duration to maintain quickness uptime. Past that, you're free to play with the build in runes or tankiness, that sort of thing. So as long as your build has the duration, use whatever runes.

Now in WvW, runes can matter. If your group is doing fast revives with mercy, you might want those. If you want a good generic defense set, use durability. If you want to self-generate resistance, use revenant. There are several good options, just make sure you can meet the duration needed for PvE.

Your weapons should be sword+focus/shield in both WvW and PvE. For PvE, you'll swap the focus for an offhand sword on some fights like cairn, MO, deimos, Matthias, basically fights you don't need pulls on. Depending on group strategy, you may drop the focus swap for a staff in GvGs to help secure downs, but usually you'll keep the focus on. Staff is just a really niche weapon that isn't broadly useful. Focus has the incredible pull and a ranged piercing immobilize.

I'm assuming that the build you posted is for WvW. For PvE raids use a PvE trait setup, and that's easily found in a variety of locations. Your traits need work though. I'll usually take mirror of anguish instead of chaotic dampening without a staff, but realistically the 2nd trait there is bad for all choices. The grandmaster should absolutely be bountiful disillusionment though. It's one of the strongest traits boon chrono has and should never be passed up. For your grandmaster chrono trait you should be taking seize the moment. Chronophantasma is totally worthless in WvW because you never have phantasms living long enough for it to matter. Seize the moment provides a rapidly accessible way to generate quickness for sharing instead.

Lastly, you need to have a sigil for frenzy active for both weapon sets. This will provide you permanent alacrity as long as you get kill credit once every 10-15 seconds or so, and that's unbelievably strong.