Scythes

Chances are very very small. First there is necro staff attack that give him a shadow scythe, second there is Reapers shroud.

Then there are those skins:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Destroyer_Scythe

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Final_Rest this one is quite cheap

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scythe_Staff

Also there are no potantial class restrictions to weapons in sense that with future expansions every class could get a staff.

Just ask Arenanet to add more staff-scythe skins ;)

Greatswords took the spot that scythes had from the transition of gw1 to gw2. It is very unlikely they will be re-adding an actual scythe weapon in game, given the amount of skins they'd have to fill in. More likely (as they have done before) is that they will just add skins for staff and, in my dreams, greatsword too.

> @TheForceKin.6581 said:

> What do you think the chances are that they bring back scythes as a melee weapon?

I hope they don't - scythes are a very niche weapon. I have a Necro that I really love to play but I wish that Anet didn't make the choice for me for the staff attack to look like a scythe. I'm looking into alternate weapons so I can get rid of that look. My Necromancer isn't styled as a "Reaper" and I actually am not training the Reaper line to avoid that stereotype as well.

I was pretty upset to see no new weapon types, new races, or classes introduced with PoF. HoT had a new profession, so what in poF makes up for the lack of a full, new profession? I was hoping Revenant would see a Scythe option. I was also hoping to see Guardians or Warriors get a land-spear option to bring back Paragons. I know that lore behind the Spellbreakers and the Sunspears validates the lack of spears, but I feel like it was a cop-out on behalf of ArenaNet. For me as a GW1 veteran, it's really disappointing to see them move further and further from the original lore.

> @dusanyu.4057 said:

> Scythe is not a combat weapon its a farm tool

Many weapons started as tools.

* War scythe - used to be a scythe.

* Flail - was originally used to thresh grain from their husks. Many tools used for threshing ended up used as weapons too.

* [Okinawan weapons](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawan_kobud%C5%8D "Okinawan weapons") are said to have been farming tools originally. While some may be a myth or an exaggeration, others are clearly derived from tools.

* Sickles were often used as weapons, the kama are another example of this.

* Walking canes often ended up having weaponized versions with metal or reinforced tips or bludgeoning handles.

* Tridents, machetes, bamboo spears...

> @MithranArkanere.8957 said:

> > @dusanyu.4057 said:

> > Scythe is not a combat weapon its a farm tool

>

> Many weapons started as tools.

And only those that are most practical went on to become real weapons that were made and developed for that purpose. The more niche weapons remain niche for a reason.

> > @dusanyu.4057 said:

> > Scythe is not a combat weapon its a farm tool

>

> Many weapons started as tools.

>

> * War scythe - used to be a scythe.

>

Plese show me in history anyplace where there has ever existed a "War Scythe" a scythes Blade is too flimsy and easily bent for fighting its shaped to be held in a way that you cut down low by turning your trunk.

to see the thing in reality please see this video

> @dusanyu.4057 said:

> > @MithranArkanere.8957 said:

> > > @dusanyu.4057 said:

> > > Scythe is not a combat weapon its a farm tool

> >

> > Many weapons started as tools.

> >

> > * War scythe - used to be a scythe.

> >

> [...]

> Plese show me in history anyplace where there has ever existed a "War Scythe" a scythes Blade is too flimsy and easily bent for fighting its shaped to be held in a way that you cut down low by turning your trunk.

> to see the thing in reality please see this video

>[...]

>

War scythes are not scythes. They have been modified and adapted for use in war. The blade has been straightened up, no longer perpendicular to the shaft, and they no longer have moving parts. They are called war scythes because they started as scythes. But because scythes are flimsy, they brokwn when used like that. And thus the weapon version evolved into a polearm with a curved blade, the edge in the inner part of the blade.

As I said, many weapons started as tool. I never said they didn't change when becoming weapons.

As for history, I only need one example, like Poland's Kosynierzy. You should be able to goggle info about them. Not gonna do the work for you.

> > @dusanyu.4057 said:

> > > @MithranArkanere.8957 said:

> > > > @dusanyu.4057 said:

> > > > Scythe is not a combat weapon its a farm tool

> > >

> > > Many weapons started as tools.

> > >

> > > * War scythe - used to be a scythe.

> > >

> > [...]

> > Plese show me in history anyplace where there has ever existed a "War Scythe" a scythes Blade is too flimsy and easily bent for fighting its shaped to be held in a way that you cut down low by turning your trunk.

> > to see the thing in reality please see this video

> >[...]

> >

>

> War scythes are not scythes. They have been modified and adapted for use in war. The blade has been straightened up, no longer perpendicular to the shaft, and they no longer have moving parts. They are called war scythes because they started as scythes. But because scythes are flimsy, they brokwn when used like that. And thus the weapon version evolved into a polearm with a curved blade, the edge in the inner part of the blade.

>

> As I said, many weapons started as tool. I never said they didn't change when becoming weapons.

>

>

> As for history, I only need one example, like Poland's Kosynierzy. You should be able to goggle info about them. Not gonna do the work for you.

i am aware of that type of "War Scythe" but it could be argued that it is hardly a Scythe at all and is more of a pole arm so why not just ask for pole arms halberds and the like with a "war scythe" skin Most players are expecting a scythe shaped thing do they can be the grim reaper.

• 5 months later...