Starting over - What to do?

Iowyn.7140

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of starting over. Completely. I've played this game a lot, but my last login was years ago. And I must admit, I mostly played GW1 (with my ex). I loved it so much and bought 2 when it released. I hated the fact that I didnt "complete" 1 before I started playing 2 so I never really committed to playing 2. And, I mostly played it with someone else so playing alone was a bit different. But still.. this game is amazing.

I am all in now and I feel kind of overwhelmed with all the stuff that Im reading online. About new expansions and seasons.. Maybe I didnt pay attention very much back then but I have NO idea what those season packages mean. So here are my questions;

Is it a good idea to buy the Path of Fire expansion, or can I play the normal version first and see where it takes me?

Same with the seasons? Need it or no?

Anyone else started over or thinking about it? Or getting started maybe? Maybe we can join and play together (as far as that is possible). I'm from the NL btw, so my English isnt the best.

I hope its ok that I started a new discussion with these questions. If not, Im sorry!

Iowyn

You can probably find plenty to entertain you without buying expansion(s). Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire won't do you any good if you're not 80 anyway, and after this long away you likely should start a new character (don't delete your old ones, they will have useful birthday gifts waiting). Work your way up, re-learn the game.

Here is what the seasons/expansions mean: The game's story has progressed through these releases. Also some content and rewards have been added that you cannot access without them. So eventually if you fall in love with the game again you may wish to pick them up. However, the game is perfectly playable without them (though you may find people with gliders from HoT and mounts from PoF out-racing you to events in the core maps, and if you like to PvP you'll be up against some elite traited players that may have some advantage over you, depending on how skilled you are).

The releases post launch's Personal Story (the fight against Zhaitan) are Living Story 1 -- no longer playable, it was live-released and you were there for it or you missed it. Remnants of it exist in several fractals. The wiki has a stellar summary of it in text, and DreamyAbaddon has made a >3 hour video compiling almost all of the events and cinematics it contained. Then Living Story 2 -- purchasable for gems, or you can have a friend who owns it start up the various instances for you to join (no rewards for you, no AP, and no interaction with objects in the instances, but you can see the story in full detail). Then HoT -- you must own the expansion to play this part of the story. Then LS3, each gem-purchasable chapter of which introduces a new map, so you have to own it along with HoT to play that part of the story and to get at all the goodies in the maps. Then PoF, you must own the expansion to play the story, and now we are in LS4's first chapter, which requires LS4 to play.

Note that if you were logged into the game at any time during any LS chapter, you do own that chapter now and can play it once you own the appropriate content. The story mostly focuses on a small group of NPCs, most of whom debuted in LS1, so you'll have trouble following what's going on or caring about the npcs if you just jump in randomly. HoT's story picks up about ten minutes after LS2 ends (in game time that is), and there is a similar flow of time throughout the story.

I hope that doesn't daunt you. As I said at the start, you can play tons of the game without any of that. The core maps are chock full of events, nooks, crannies, amusing NPC dialogues, and pretty places to explore. They also have a lot of achieves, and getting those done will benefit you later on if/when you get expansions, because you'll unlock the Mastery system and those achieves will turn into Mastery Points to spend -- as it happens I had exactly the MP needed to cover all core Masteries the moment HoT launched, thanks to my enjoyment of doing achieves.

Welcome back!

You can play the Personal Story (Zhaitan) with just a core account; no extra purchases required.

Living World Season One is no longer available to play; there is a very small recap in Lion's Arch.

Living World Season Two is available for purchase with Gems; no additional purchase required.

Living World Season Three is available for purchase with Gems; requires the Heart of Thorn expansion to access.

Living World Season Four is currently available at no cost; just log in to unlock Episode One; Path of Fire expansion required to access LWS4 Episode One.

Welcome return, and good luck.