Scourge Specialization Updates for the Path of Fire Launch

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

I was being very positive about scourge, but this probably puts scourge right into the reaper camp.

To explain: THis means support scourge is essentially dead in the water before it even gets out. There's no way to get support and DPS (unlike cPS warriors, who can have some of the highest DPS AND the best support), might stacking wasn't addressed (the range is FAR too short), and the most usable support abilities were nerfed so hard that now, the only way to actually make them useful is Sand Savant, which is a harsh blow to DPS.

Hello, devs, could you explain how you see us useful in high group content (Fractals, CMs, raids) with this at all? You'd just take a condi Phalanx Strength warrior and be done with it :( You even nerfed barrier generation, cutting down the one argument we had at least for learning runs.

Seriously, check my posting history. I really had hope for scourge. But with this, I don't see a reason to not just take a phalanx strength warrior :/

>Also. mind taking a look at the torch skill 5? I found its might to be extremely unreliable.

Not just this, it's range was tiny.

Compare this to phalanx strength, which somehow gets to have _more than twice the range_ while also being stronger!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really the only big nerf is the desert empowerment trait, unless they changed you acting as a pillar with sand savant you can hit that 10 target cap easily, 33% less cooldown is worth it and you will just have to plan for mitagation. Its just going to require more active gameplay, the world is not ending. Stinks to not be op at launch, but if you can plan encounters mitagating damage spikes will still be desired in PVE, and with the increase to trail of anguish and barrier portal still really good in WvW. Desert empowerment is a blow, but they didnt adjust sand cascade cost so I still think we will be fine.

> @Parlance.9584 said:

> My friend telling me to not play necro was probably the greatest advice i was ever given.

My boyfriend and I both main Necros, and we still enjoy it. Just because a Profession isn't Meta doesn't mean it's bad. Scourge will be shining in all game modes but Raids, but may work in Raids.

A person's fun is judged by what they want to do in game, or what they enjoy mechanic wise. I just love how Necro plays, and the themes of the Profession. If a person just wants to be playing an always Meta Profession for Raids, that's their own thing I guess.

I'd rather play a Profession I love, than one I disliked just to be "Meta".

I tried to warn you guys that sand shades would be butchered like Dragonhunter traps. You can't have an immortal pillar crapping out burning and torment when both PVP and WVW are based around stationary capture points. The whole sand shade mechanic never should have left the drawing board, its impossible to balance.

> @Kam.4092 said:

> > @Parlance.9584 said:

> > My friend telling me to not play necro was probably the greatest advice i was ever given.

>

> My boyfriend and I both main Necros, and we still enjoy it. Just because a Profession isn't Meta doesn't mean it's bad. Scourge will be shining in all game modes but Raids, but may work in Raids.

>

> A person's fun is judged by what they want to do in game, or what they enjoy mechanic wise. I just love how Necro plays, and the themes of the Profession. If a person just wants to be playing an always Meta Profession for Raids, that's their own thing I guess.

>

> I'd rather play a Profession I love, than one I disliked just to be "Meta".

I typically like to play classes that are both fun and useful. If a class is known for having little to no use in high tier content then I probably wont play it.

People wanting me in their groups is fun to me.

> @Umbramare.9156 said:

> > @Kam.4092 said:

> > > @Parlance.9584 said:

> > > My friend telling me to not play necro was probably the greatest advice i was ever given.

> >

> > I'd rather play a Profession I love, than one I disliked just to be "Meta".

>

>

> And I'd rather play raids. :trollface:

>

Oh well, have fun.

> @ambio.7019 said:

> Really the only big nerf is the desert empowerment trait, unless they changed you acting as a pillar with sand savant you can hit that 10 target cap easily,

With Sand Savant you can, but this butchers your DPS. This means that you cannot compete with other support classes any longer, and are objectively inferior.

It is not "more active gameplay", it's less active gameplay, because the increased cost of abilities prevents you from using Shade skills as often.

>mitagating damage spikes will still be desired in PVE

No, because you can instead take a class that also mitigates these spikes, but also brings higher (group) dps.

Why have skill split but not use it? If you want current support builds in PvE, which have 5 player caps, to be definitive builds, what's the point of adding more support builds? If that's not the case, then what's the point of nerfing skills in every game mode, especially when you have the technology to split them?

I am not purchasing the next expansion and supporting ridiculous decisions like this.

Definitely hope we're wrong, but don't see how.

The only thing in my tests that did more damage than reaper (which is already an inferior damage spec) is using... the two skills that now cost way more life force.

Sure, the testing environments weren't best, but it still seemed pretty conclusive to me. And with that gone, it's reaper DPS. And we know that one is already weak.

Sure hope someone finds a way to make it work otherwise...

We might be fine as a dps for raids... I'll still test support but its looking like an up hill battle as we don't provide very many unique buffs and the high target cap was what I was hoping for to convince a raid include.

We'll probably be fine for fractals.... But the target cap could damage support builds here too which means that classes that struggled before will continue to struggle necromancer will be just fine, but I was going to offset the weaknesses of other professions with barrier. So our allies are going to suffer more than us.

Fractals will always be fine - I mean, you often encounter 3k DPS elementalists there. My reaper can usually do more than four of these combined leading to hilarious arcdps results. No way Scourge wouldn't be able to do the same.

Only problem is when you run into a place where high damage is mandatory. I sincerely hope you find a way to make Scourge work in raids.

I sure don't see one any longer. :(

Let's see now:

**Core** guardian, warr, revenant, engi, thief, ranger, ele and even mesmer. All have around 30k dps (or high utility) raid builds

*Guess which core profession doesn't?* It's not even on the radar....

On the other hand, i'm pretty sure you guys have been holding out on us in regards to barrier. I can clearly see you're not too much into buffing that mechanic, so the question beckons - what's so good about it? Currently nothing that a naked eye can see. Either there's some hidden component to it, or it's a 2s bit of extra health no one really needs, least in raids...