Herald VS other options in casual PvE?

Raemyi.2968

I've been enjoying my Herald in PvE up through HoT's living world, but sometimes find it difficult to deal with the more advanced content (The bosses of The Head of the Snake and Flashpoint come to mind). At the same time, this profession seems to have a lot that others just don't offer, so I'm looking for a bit of insight into whether there might be other setups that work similarly to - or even outright outperform - the playstyle I've been relying on so far.

I use a berserker Glint/Shiro revenant. My past experience is with greatsword/rifle Warrior and sword/greatsword Mesmer, both also with berserker's. Compared to them, Revenant seems to have some serious benefits. Hammer is a decidedly more powerful ranged weapon, and has solid AoE properties (pierces multiple targets). Glint's heal can absorb otherwise death-causing boss attacks and functions effectively as an extra super-dodge. Shiro can do a lot of damage quickly in melee, which lets me use guerrilla tactics when I don't have a very good read on a boss' behavior. And finally, the relatively passive nature of Herald boons makes it easy to play somewhat optimally, compared to mesmer clones/phantasms, which punish mistakes in setup quite severely.

So, basically, decent survivability and ranged damage.

At first this all made Revenant seem very strong for a mid/low-skill player in solo PvE, but I really feel like I'm just not seeing what others have to offer (especially when I hit a wall) and am hoping to branch out a bit. Any thoughts?

My advice for power herald is to run jalis/glint, and focus on sword/sword melee attacks. Go with the following traits:

Devastation: Vicious Lacerations, Assassin's Presence, Swift Termination

Invocation: Forceful Persistence, Incensed Response, Rolling Mists

Herald: Hardening Persistence, Shared Empowerment, Elder's Focus

The secret to power herald's damage is Vengeful Hammers. The skill does a lot of damage, but more importantly it leeches life. Combine this with the life leeching from the Devastation line, and you'll end up with a surprising amount of sustain for a glass cannon build. I once solo'd the Clockheart on Herald just by face-tanking it. Incensed response combined with glint should cause you to nearly max yourself out on might. The rotation is fairly simple:

Start in Glint, with the 3 utility facets up and running.

Use Elemental Blast at the start of the fight

Switch on Facet of Chaos

Use Sword 2 and sword 4 whenever they are off cooldown. Otherwise, just auto attack. Make sure to complete auto chains before using the other skills.

Use sword 3 to dodge.

When you're nearly out of energy, swap to Jalis, and activate Vengeful Hammers and One with Nature

Continue sword rotation as normal. When you're nearly out of energy, swap back to Glint and repeat the process.

Do this, and you'll have capped might, permanent fury, nearly permanent protection, while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output. The advantage to this build is it is simple to use and quite tanky. The disadvantage is that there is low burst and the sustained DPS is on the low end of mediocre. Tis the curse that power herald bears, but nonetheless the class is powerful enough to complete all content in the game.

In general, I only use the hammer if I am in a situation where I cannot melee. Or, as an opening attack against a large group of tightly clustered enemies.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> My advice for power herald is to run jalis/glint, and focus on sword/sword melee attacks. Go with the following traits:

>

> Devastation: Vicious Lacerations, Assassin's Presence, Swift Termination

> Invocation: Forceful Persistence, Incensed Response, Rolling Mists

> Herald: Hardening Persistence, Shared Empowerment, Elder's Focus

>

> The secret to power herald's damage is Vengeful Hammers. The skill does a lot of damage, but more importantly it leeches life. Combine this with the life leeching from the Devastation line, and you'll end up with a surprising amount of sustain for a glass cannon build. I once solo'd the Clockheart on Herald just by face-tanking it. Incensed response combined with glint should cause you to nearly max yourself out on might. The rotation is fairly simple:

>

> Start in Glint, with the 3 utility facets up and running.

> Use Elemental Blast at the start of the fight

> Switch on Facet of Chaos

> Use Sword 2 and sword 4 whenever they are off cooldown. Otherwise, just auto attack. Make sure to complete auto chains before using the other skills.

> Use sword 3 to dodge.

> When you're nearly out of energy, swap to Jalis, and activate Vengeful Hammers and One with Nature

> Continue sword rotation as normal. When you're nearly out of energy, swap back to Glint and repeat the process.

>

> Do this, and you'll have capped might, permanent fury, nearly permanent protection, while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output. The advantage to this build is it is simple to use and quite tanky. The disadvantage is that there is low burst and the sustained DPS is on the low end of mediocre. Tis the curse that power herald bears, but nonetheless the class is powerful enough to complete all content in the game.

>

> In general, I only use the hammer if I am in a situation where I cannot melee. Or, as an opening attack against a large group of tightly clustered enemies.

How is it with Sword/Axe instead, I only ask because I have Ascended Hammer/Sword/Axe but not two Swords?

> @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > My advice for power herald is to run jalis/glint, and focus on sword/sword melee attacks. Go with the following traits:

> >

> > Devastation: Vicious Lacerations, Assassin's Presence, Swift Termination

> > Invocation: Forceful Persistence, Incensed Response, Rolling Mists

> > Herald: Hardening Persistence, Shared Empowerment, Elder's Focus

> >

> > The secret to power herald's damage is Vengeful Hammers. The skill does a lot of damage, but more importantly it leeches life. Combine this with the life leeching from the Devastation line, and you'll end up with a surprising amount of sustain for a glass cannon build. I once solo'd the Clockheart on Herald just by face-tanking it. Incensed response combined with glint should cause you to nearly max yourself out on might. The rotation is fairly simple:

> >

> > Start in Glint, with the 3 utility facets up and running.

> > Use Elemental Blast at the start of the fight

> > Switch on Facet of Chaos

> > Use Sword 2 and sword 4 whenever they are off cooldown. Otherwise, just auto attack. Make sure to complete auto chains before using the other skills.

> > Use sword 3 to dodge.

> > When you're nearly out of energy, swap to Jalis, and activate Vengeful Hammers and One with Nature

> > Continue sword rotation as normal. When you're nearly out of energy, swap back to Glint and repeat the process.

> >

> > Do this, and you'll have capped might, permanent fury, nearly permanent protection, while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output. The advantage to this build is it is simple to use and quite tanky. The disadvantage is that there is low burst and the sustained DPS is on the low end of mediocre. Tis the curse that power herald bears, but nonetheless the class is powerful enough to complete all content in the game.

> >

> > In general, I only use the hammer if I am in a situation where I cannot melee. Or, as an opening attack against a large group of tightly clustered enemies.

>

> How is it with Sword/Axe instead, I only ask because I have Ascended Hammer/Sword/Axe but not two Swords?

Axe has better CC options than sword with axe 5 dealing cc damage in a line at 900 range vs sword 4 which is imob in a 180 radious around you.You only need 1 sword to proc vicious lacerations.

Me personaly I like staff/Hammer but I feel mace/axe trumps both that and sword+sword/x.

Hope fully the next spec gives something that improves my weapon choice.

>while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output.

This is not true. Jalis is not as good as Shiro in solo environments. Vengeful Hammers is lower DPS than Impossible Odds when you don't have an outside source of quickness.

Tankier, sure, but it's not the maximum damage a rev can do solo

> @"Raemyi.2968" said:

> So, reading between the lines, I'm getting the impression that I've been playing even Revenant "wrong" and so probably shouldn't expect any similar other profession options.

When you are playing casually, there really is no playing right or wrong, there is just what works, what doesn't work, and what is fun. You have several options on what works but you should know the strengths and weaknesses of the options to decide and adjust to new situations. For gear since you are running power you will want to normally have a sword main-hand which can be combined with any of the 3 off-hands. For off-hands sword is the most damage, shield is the most survivable, and axe is useful for being able to interrupt or break break-bars. For weapon swap, staff is good for break-bars and defense, while hammer gives a good ranged option if needed, you can even run sword with two different off-hands so you can get increased utility without swapping off your main damage weapon. For legends shiro is your max solo DPS with impossible odds, phase traversal is also nice to get around. Jalis provides good damage in melee range and a lot of extra sustain with vengeful hammers in a group that provides quickness, Jalis is the top DPS legend. Glint should generally be kept equipped while solo for the buffs. Malyx is mostly only good on power build if you want resistance or boon strip and ventari is only really good for the projectile defense. Chose what you think will be best for whatever situation you come across or stick to what is most fun, both options work in most cases with varying degrees of difficulty.

That's all well and good, but I think the actual topic question might have not been clear somehow. I've been asking about other professions entirely, not different Revenant builds.

Re-reading my initial post I can see why that didn't come across. A bit too late to change it at this point though. Sorry about that. :/ The actual point of this topic was supposed to be other professions that play similarly to a power Herald Revenant in solo PvE, and what pros and cons they might offer in comparison.

> @"Jack Skywalker.5674" said:

> > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > My advice for power herald is to run jalis/glint, and focus on sword/sword melee attacks. Go with the following traits:

> > >

> > > Devastation: Vicious Lacerations, Assassin's Presence, Swift Termination

> > > Invocation: Forceful Persistence, Incensed Response, Rolling Mists

> > > Herald: Hardening Persistence, Shared Empowerment, Elder's Focus

> > >

> > > The secret to power herald's damage is Vengeful Hammers. The skill does a lot of damage, but more importantly it leeches life. Combine this with the life leeching from the Devastation line, and you'll end up with a surprising amount of sustain for a glass cannon build. I once solo'd the Clockheart on Herald just by face-tanking it. Incensed response combined with glint should cause you to nearly max yourself out on might. The rotation is fairly simple:

> > >

> > > Start in Glint, with the 3 utility facets up and running.

> > > Use Elemental Blast at the start of the fight

> > > Switch on Facet of Chaos

> > > Use Sword 2 and sword 4 whenever they are off cooldown. Otherwise, just auto attack. Make sure to complete auto chains before using the other skills.

> > > Use sword 3 to dodge.

> > > When you're nearly out of energy, swap to Jalis, and activate Vengeful Hammers and One with Nature

> > > Continue sword rotation as normal. When you're nearly out of energy, swap back to Glint and repeat the process.

> > >

> > > Do this, and you'll have capped might, permanent fury, nearly permanent protection, while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output. The advantage to this build is it is simple to use and quite tanky. The disadvantage is that there is low burst and the sustained DPS is on the low end of mediocre. Tis the curse that power herald bears, but nonetheless the class is powerful enough to complete all content in the game.

> > >

> > > In general, I only use the hammer if I am in a situation where I cannot melee. Or, as an opening attack against a large group of tightly clustered enemies.

> >

> > How is it with Sword/Axe instead, I only ask because I have Ascended Hammer/Sword/Axe but not two Swords?

>

> Axe has better CC options than sword with axe 5 dealing cc damage in a line at 900 range vs sword 4 which is imob in a 180 radious around you.You only need 1 sword to proc vicious lacerations.

>

> Me personaly I like staff/Hammer but I feel mace/axe trumps both that and sword+sword/x.

> Hope fully the next spec gives something that improves my weapon choice.

>

Mace/axe definitely trumps both in condi build, condi renegade has much better dps and is the only meta rev build. But he's talking about herald in berserker gear, not optimal rev play. In which case s/s or s/a is far superior.

> @"Flauvious.6195" said:

> > @"Jack Skywalker.5674" said:

> > > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > > My advice for power herald is to run jalis/glint, and focus on sword/sword melee attacks. Go with the following traits:

> > > >

> > > > Devastation: Vicious Lacerations, Assassin's Presence, Swift Termination

> > > > Invocation: Forceful Persistence, Incensed Response, Rolling Mists

> > > > Herald: Hardening Persistence, Shared Empowerment, Elder's Focus

> > > >

> > > > The secret to power herald's damage is Vengeful Hammers. The skill does a lot of damage, but more importantly it leeches life. Combine this with the life leeching from the Devastation line, and you'll end up with a surprising amount of sustain for a glass cannon build. I once solo'd the Clockheart on Herald just by face-tanking it. Incensed response combined with glint should cause you to nearly max yourself out on might. The rotation is fairly simple:

> > > >

> > > > Start in Glint, with the 3 utility facets up and running.

> > > > Use Elemental Blast at the start of the fight

> > > > Switch on Facet of Chaos

> > > > Use Sword 2 and sword 4 whenever they are off cooldown. Otherwise, just auto attack. Make sure to complete auto chains before using the other skills.

> > > > Use sword 3 to dodge.

> > > > When you're nearly out of energy, swap to Jalis, and activate Vengeful Hammers and One with Nature

> > > > Continue sword rotation as normal. When you're nearly out of energy, swap back to Glint and repeat the process.

> > > >

> > > > Do this, and you'll have capped might, permanent fury, nearly permanent protection, while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output. The advantage to this build is it is simple to use and quite tanky. The disadvantage is that there is low burst and the sustained DPS is on the low end of mediocre. Tis the curse that power herald bears, but nonetheless the class is powerful enough to complete all content in the game.

> > > >

> > > > In general, I only use the hammer if I am in a situation where I cannot melee. Or, as an opening attack against a large group of tightly clustered enemies.

> > >

> > > How is it with Sword/Axe instead, I only ask because I have Ascended Hammer/Sword/Axe but not two Swords?

> >

> > Axe has better CC options than sword with axe 5 dealing cc damage in a line at 900 range vs sword 4 which is imob in a 180 radious around you.You only need 1 sword to proc vicious lacerations.

> >

> > Me personaly I like staff/Hammer but I feel mace/axe trumps both that and sword+sword/x.

> > Hope fully the next spec gives something that improves my weapon choice.

> >

>

> Mace/axe definitely trumps both in condi build, condi renegade has much better dps and is the only meta rev build. But he's talking about herald in berserker gear, not optimal rev play. In which case s/s or s/a is far superior.

I leveled as power rev with mace/axe. Even afterwards half of the hero points I farmed for Herald on hots maps was with power gear - 0 condi.

I only swaped out mace/axe for hammer when I needed to face tank and kite.

> @"Raemyi.2968" said:

> That's all well and good, but I think the actual topic question might have not been clear somehow. I've been asking about other professions entirely, not different Revenant builds.

>

> Re-reading my initial post I can see why that didn't come across. A bit too late to change it at this point though. Sorry about that. :/ The actual point of this topic was supposed to be other professions that play similarly to a power Herald Revenant in solo PvE, and what pros and cons they might offer in comparison.

Since you've already tried power warrior and power mesmer, I'd say that power thief might be what you want to look at if you want to try something else. Revenant is a really unique class compared to most of the rest of the classes and plays pretty differently. Rev is kind of like Thief meets Mesmer meets Guardian, so any of those professions (and even warrior to some extent) will have some of the aspects you're looking for.

Also sword/X ranger/soulbeast or sword weaver both have evasive styles of melee swordplay as well

> @"LucianTheAngelic.7054" said:

>

> > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> >while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output.

> This is not true. Jalis is not as good as Shiro in solo environments. Vengeful Hammers is lower DPS than Impossible Odds when you don't have an outside source of quickness.

> Tankier, sure, but it's not the maximum damage a rev can do solo

>

>

Are you sure? I ask because whenever I run shiro I run out of energy, so I can't use sword 2 or sword 4. Also, vengeful hammers maintains the scholar rune bonus.

> @"LucianTheAngelic.7054" said:

> > @"Raemyi.2968" said:

> > That's all well and good, but I think the actual topic question might have not been clear somehow. I've been asking about other professions entirely, not different Revenant builds.

> >

> > Re-reading my initial post I can see why that didn't come across. A bit too late to change it at this point though. Sorry about that. :/ The actual point of this topic was supposed to be other professions that play similarly to a power Herald Revenant in solo PvE, and what pros and cons they might offer in comparison.

>

> Since you've already tried power warrior and power mesmer, I'd say that power thief might be what you want to look at if you want to try something else. Revenant is a really unique class compared to most of the rest of the classes and plays pretty differently. Rev is kind of like Thief meets Mesmer meets Guardian, so any of those professions (and even warrior to some extent) will have some of the aspects you're looking for.

>

> Also sword/X ranger/soulbeast or sword weaver both have evasive styles of melee swordplay as well

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them another look.

It's rather difficult to find hard numbers on how effective their ranged weapons are, though, since most agree that melee is better and so ranged just doesn't seem to get attention. So, I still only really have my (probably inaccurate) personal impressions that Revenant's hammer is comparatively strong. Any clue how things like Soulbeast, Dragonhunter, or Deadeye compare on that front?

> > @"Flauvious.6195" said:

> > > @"Jack Skywalker.5674" said:

> > > > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > > > My advice for power herald is to run jalis/glint, and focus on sword/sword melee attacks. Go with the following traits:

> > > > >

> > > > > Devastation: Vicious Lacerations, Assassin's Presence, Swift Termination

> > > > > Invocation: Forceful Persistence, Incensed Response, Rolling Mists

> > > > > Herald: Hardening Persistence, Shared Empowerment, Elder's Focus

> > > > >

> > > > > The secret to power herald's damage is Vengeful Hammers. The skill does a lot of damage, but more importantly it leeches life. Combine this with the life leeching from the Devastation line, and you'll end up with a surprising amount of sustain for a glass cannon build. I once solo'd the Clockheart on Herald just by face-tanking it. Incensed response combined with glint should cause you to nearly max yourself out on might. The rotation is fairly simple:

> > > > >

> > > > > Start in Glint, with the 3 utility facets up and running.

> > > > > Use Elemental Blast at the start of the fight

> > > > > Switch on Facet of Chaos

> > > > > Use Sword 2 and sword 4 whenever they are off cooldown. Otherwise, just auto attack. Make sure to complete auto chains before using the other skills.

> > > > > Use sword 3 to dodge.

> > > > > When you're nearly out of energy, swap to Jalis, and activate Vengeful Hammers and One with Nature

> > > > > Continue sword rotation as normal. When you're nearly out of energy, swap back to Glint and repeat the process.

> > > > >

> > > > > Do this, and you'll have capped might, permanent fury, nearly permanent protection, while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output. The advantage to this build is it is simple to use and quite tanky. The disadvantage is that there is low burst and the sustained DPS is on the low end of mediocre. Tis the curse that power herald bears, but nonetheless the class is powerful enough to complete all content in the game.

> > > > >

> > > > > In general, I only use the hammer if I am in a situation where I cannot melee. Or, as an opening attack against a large group of tightly clustered enemies.

> > > >

> > > > How is it with Sword/Axe instead, I only ask because I have Ascended Hammer/Sword/Axe but not two Swords?

> > >

> > > Axe has better CC options than sword with axe 5 dealing cc damage in a line at 900 range vs sword 4 which is imob in a 180 radious around you.You only need 1 sword to proc vicious lacerations.

> > >

> > > Me personaly I like staff/Hammer but I feel mace/axe trumps both that and sword+sword/x.

> > > Hope fully the next spec gives something that improves my weapon choice.

> > >

> >

> > Mace/axe definitely trumps both in condi build, condi renegade has much better dps and is the only meta rev build. But he's talking about herald in berserker gear, not optimal rev play. In which case s/s or s/a is far superior.

>

> I leveled as power rev with mace/axe. Even afterwards half of the hero points I farmed for Herald on hots maps was with power gear - 0 condi.

> I only swaped out mace/axe for hammer when I needed to face tank and kite.

I mean you can do basically everything besides t4 fractals and raids with virtually any gear/build, but swords just do way more damage than mace so if you're trying to optimise it isn't even a choice

Glint & Jalis works well if not better than Shiro. Jalis hammers give you -20% incoming damage, minor leech and minor aoe damage. Chains does CC damage but not as powerful as Shiro's elite

my spec of choice would be sword/axe + hammer

Devastation 1-3-1

Invocation 1 or 2-3-3

Herald 3-2-1 (edit: got the numbers mixed up)

> > @"LucianTheAngelic.7054" said:

> >

> > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > >while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output.

> > This is not true. Jalis is not as good as Shiro in solo environments. Vengeful Hammers is lower DPS than Impossible Odds when you don't have an outside source of quickness.

> > Tankier, sure, but it's not the maximum damage a rev can do solo

> >

> >

>

> Are you sure? I ask because whenever I run shiro I run out of energy, so I can't use sword 2 or sword 4. Also, vengeful hammers maintains the scholar rune bonus.

Shiro won't have the energy to support anything other than AA chains and precision strike off cd... Use sword 4/5 when you're in Glint and have unlimited energy--or if you need the soft cc, use them before you toggle IO on.

But yes, not even factoring in the 10% modifier, just having quickness on your AA is more dps than Jalis. (I only say 10%, because in open world/story, I'd highly recommend taking the cleanse trait instead of Forceful Persistence.)

Other posters covered the power build. I find the shiro versus jailis falls down to 2 issues:

1) you typically stay mostly in glint to maintain 100% uptime on fury and 25 might.

2) sustainability.

Since you generally switch in short encounters for sustainability, jailis makes more sense. If you are fighting a champion solo jailis is better. If with a group, and you are not getting attacked then Shiro is better.

Remember, in PvE you can switch legends before fights, so feel free to alternate between them as you see fit. Same regarding weapons. Shield if you need healing. Staff and axe to break bars. Hammer for range. Do not think you are stuck with a specific weapon set.

> @"Flauvious.6195" said:

> > @"Jack Skywalker.5674" said:

> > > @"Flauvious.6195" said:

> > > > @"Jack Skywalker.5674" said:

> > > > > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > > > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > > > > My advice for power herald is to run jalis/glint, and focus on sword/sword melee attacks. Go with the following traits:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Devastation: Vicious Lacerations, Assassin's Presence, Swift Termination

> > > > > > Invocation: Forceful Persistence, Incensed Response, Rolling Mists

> > > > > > Herald: Hardening Persistence, Shared Empowerment, Elder's Focus

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The secret to power herald's damage is Vengeful Hammers. The skill does a lot of damage, but more importantly it leeches life. Combine this with the life leeching from the Devastation line, and you'll end up with a surprising amount of sustain for a glass cannon build. I once solo'd the Clockheart on Herald just by face-tanking it. Incensed response combined with glint should cause you to nearly max yourself out on might. The rotation is fairly simple:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Start in Glint, with the 3 utility facets up and running.

> > > > > > Use Elemental Blast at the start of the fight

> > > > > > Switch on Facet of Chaos

> > > > > > Use Sword 2 and sword 4 whenever they are off cooldown. Otherwise, just auto attack. Make sure to complete auto chains before using the other skills.

> > > > > > Use sword 3 to dodge.

> > > > > > When you're nearly out of energy, swap to Jalis, and activate Vengeful Hammers and One with Nature

> > > > > > Continue sword rotation as normal. When you're nearly out of energy, swap back to Glint and repeat the process.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Do this, and you'll have capped might, permanent fury, nearly permanent protection, while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output. The advantage to this build is it is simple to use and quite tanky. The disadvantage is that there is low burst and the sustained DPS is on the low end of mediocre. Tis the curse that power herald bears, but nonetheless the class is powerful enough to complete all content in the game.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In general, I only use the hammer if I am in a situation where I cannot melee. Or, as an opening attack against a large group of tightly clustered enemies.

> > > > >

> > > > > How is it with Sword/Axe instead, I only ask because I have Ascended Hammer/Sword/Axe but not two Swords?

> > > >

> > > > Axe has better CC options than sword with axe 5 dealing cc damage in a line at 900 range vs sword 4 which is imob in a 180 radious around you.You only need 1 sword to proc vicious lacerations.

> > > >

> > > > Me personaly I like staff/Hammer but I feel mace/axe trumps both that and sword+sword/x.

> > > > Hope fully the next spec gives something that improves my weapon choice.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Mace/axe definitely trumps both in condi build, condi renegade has much better dps and is the only meta rev build. But he's talking about herald in berserker gear, not optimal rev play. In which case s/s or s/a is far superior.

> >

> > I leveled as power rev with mace/axe. Even afterwards half of the hero points I farmed for Herald on hots maps was with power gear - 0 condi.

> > I only swaped out mace/axe for hammer when I needed to face tank and kite.

>

> I mean you can do basically everything besides t4 fractals and raids with virtually any gear/build, but swords just do way more damage than mace so if you're trying to optimise it isn't even a choice

The one down side about using Swords is that the weapon skills from sword suck from a PvE perspective. Swords are only good vs single target stuff. For AoE axe and mace hit multiple oponent more reliably than any of the sword skills.

> > @"Flauvious.6195" said:

> > > @"Jack Skywalker.5674" said:

> > > > @"Flauvious.6195" said:

> > > > > @"Jack Skywalker.5674" said:

> > > > > > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > > > > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > > > > > My advice for power herald is to run jalis/glint, and focus on sword/sword melee attacks. Go with the following traits:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Devastation: Vicious Lacerations, Assassin's Presence, Swift Termination

> > > > > > > Invocation: Forceful Persistence, Incensed Response, Rolling Mists

> > > > > > > Herald: Hardening Persistence, Shared Empowerment, Elder's Focus

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The secret to power herald's damage is Vengeful Hammers. The skill does a lot of damage, but more importantly it leeches life. Combine this with the life leeching from the Devastation line, and you'll end up with a surprising amount of sustain for a glass cannon build. I once solo'd the Clockheart on Herald just by face-tanking it. Incensed response combined with glint should cause you to nearly max yourself out on might. The rotation is fairly simple:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Start in Glint, with the 3 utility facets up and running.

> > > > > > > Use Elemental Blast at the start of the fight

> > > > > > > Switch on Facet of Chaos

> > > > > > > Use Sword 2 and sword 4 whenever they are off cooldown. Otherwise, just auto attack. Make sure to complete auto chains before using the other skills.

> > > > > > > Use sword 3 to dodge.

> > > > > > > When you're nearly out of energy, swap to Jalis, and activate Vengeful Hammers and One with Nature

> > > > > > > Continue sword rotation as normal. When you're nearly out of energy, swap back to Glint and repeat the process.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Do this, and you'll have capped might, permanent fury, nearly permanent protection, while also doing the most power damage that a rev can output. The advantage to this build is it is simple to use and quite tanky. The disadvantage is that there is low burst and the sustained DPS is on the low end of mediocre. Tis the curse that power herald bears, but nonetheless the class is powerful enough to complete all content in the game.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > In general, I only use the hammer if I am in a situation where I cannot melee. Or, as an opening attack against a large group of tightly clustered enemies.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How is it with Sword/Axe instead, I only ask because I have Ascended Hammer/Sword/Axe but not two Swords?

> > > > >

> > > > > Axe has better CC options than sword with axe 5 dealing cc damage in a line at 900 range vs sword 4 which is imob in a 180 radious around you.You only need 1 sword to proc vicious lacerations.

> > > > >

> > > > > Me personaly I like staff/Hammer but I feel mace/axe trumps both that and sword+sword/x.

> > > > > Hope fully the next spec gives something that improves my weapon choice.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Mace/axe definitely trumps both in condi build, condi renegade has much better dps and is the only meta rev build. But he's talking about herald in berserker gear, not optimal rev play. In which case s/s or s/a is far superior.

> > >

> > > I leveled as power rev with mace/axe. Even afterwards half of the hero points I farmed for Herald on hots maps was with power gear - 0 condi.

> > > I only swaped out mace/axe for hammer when I needed to face tank and kite.

> >

> > I mean you can do basically everything besides t4 fractals and raids with virtually any gear/build, but swords just do way more damage than mace so if you're trying to optimise it isn't even a choice

>

> The one down side about using Swords is that the weapon skills from sword suck from a PvE perspective. Swords are only good vs single target stuff. For AoE axe and mace hit multiple oponent more reliably than any of the sword skills.

I gotta disagree there... Sword's cleave is insane. Turn on Impossible Odds and walk slightly backwards so the mobs bunch up in front of you and watch them all insta-die. Mace is only effective for cleaving/aoe if you're geared for Condi, and if you're geared for condi, you wouldn't even be considering a sword anyways. I mean, I get what you're saying about the skills--obviously sword 3 and 4 do less damage vs multiple targets--but they also do less damage vs single targets than just aa'ing would anyways. Sword in PvE is almost completely about empowered auto-attack chains while using PS off cooldown from inside of hitboxes.