Need advice regarding upgrading of PC!

Dear beloved community,

I am in the midst of upgrading my current deck given some budget constraints.

May I know what you think should be the first to be upgraded? In order of sequence, please!

After doing some digging, I found that the first to go should be my CPU, could you guys advise me + give me a recommended CPU to upgrade to that I should look at?

Current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3470

Mobo: Gigabyte Technology B75M-D3H

Ram: 8GB DDR3 Ram

GPU: Nvidia GTX 960

Any suggestions/tips will be much appreciated!

I would always recommend replacing cpu, main board and memory in a single go. The reason is that all three improve to work with the latest standards in industry. It is perfectly possible to work well. But it is pretty hard to tell. The exception is the addition of extra ram. But for overall performance having another 8gb is good, for just gw2 it is not needed.

Also. Gw2 performs better on Intel cpu's. They recently had a big disaster with meltdown. Also, besides gw2, Ryzen is a fierce competitor. So I think they will come with a new generation cpu's in about a year.

So for now my personal advice is to upgrade the gpu

Your 960 is above adequate for GW2 and buying anything stronger right now is highly advised **against**. CryptoCurrency Mining has inflated GPU prices to a silly amount.

Building a new system is probably your best bet for performance gains. Even that is advised against at the moment due to RAM prices also being hugely inflated due to various reasons(new phones using DDR4, Miners building multiple systems with stupid amounts of RAM).

You can overclock your processor a bit, even though it's not a K version(unlocked multiplier).

Should be able to reach 4ghz with proper cooling. That would be my first choice.

> @"MrFayth.3546" said:

> Your 960 is above adequate for GW2 and buying anything stronger right now is highly advised **against**. CryptoCurrency Mining has inflated GPU prices to a silly amount.

>

> Building a new system is probably your best bet for performance gains. Even that is advised against at the moment due to RAM prices also being hugely inflated due to various reasons(new phones using DDR4, Miners building multiple systems with stupid amounts of RAM).

>

>

This^^

Unless you have an unavoidable reason for a new PC, this is a bad time to upgrade PC in general

- If you do need to update, then your GPU is more than adequate for GW2 gameplay. But if you are looking to buy new one, they are crazy high price now. (Nvidea is trying to sell directly to pc users at a lower price, watch out for those cheap deals if you are inn US)

- better CPU will definitely help gw2. ('_Meltdown_' is not going to have visible/discernible impact on gw2 gameplay. You dont need to worry abt that.). Any new Intel chips will work great.. Even one generation prior would be OK (might get cheaper) but you need to remember that the mobo for intel are different for each gen.. So plan ahead accordingly

- You might also need a new PSU if you are upgrading a lot of components. Check your power requirement after upgrade.

- 8GB is adequate RAM for gw2. I play with 8GB and still get ~100fps (High/Ultra on all with no zerg, medium on quality models). But check new mobo and ram compatibility.

There are cases of whole pre-built PCs being cheaper than just their GPU prices..

If you plan to get a new CPU and new motherboard anyway. You might as well shoot for the i5 8600k. It's much stronger than the Kaby Lake(7600k) CPUs, which are barely better than my aging i5 4690k as far as per-core performance is concerned.

Plus the 8th gen i5s are 6 core 6 thread instead of 4/4 like all the previous i5 processors.