Why I Keep Leaving GW2

Jaunty.6018

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree this game is the least social mmo I've played. At first, I was captivated by community events and the level of cooperative participation by those on the map. I've been playing MMOs from EQ1 and I was glad to see something different from the old "we are all on the same mission/quest but whoever tags it first gets it" design. But there is something missing, and one thing I'd point to is the flow of gameplay and mob density does not leave much time for socializing. Not that I think it was a great design to engage one mob for a 30-second fight, repeat, and then sit and regen. But I can say the zone chat was sometimes more entertaining than the gameplay. Here it is go, go, go, got to keep moving and be efficient about farming gold/loot.

> @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> I love Gw2 because I'm not FORCED to play or socialize with other players. I suffer from social anxiety which actually is way worse when playing online, for whatever reason.

> I absolutely adore the genre of MMORPGs, yet Gw2 is pretty much the only game I can play without occasionally experiencing panic attacks.

Why would you play MMOs at all if you have such extreme social anxiety? I'm genuinely curious. For me, it's the social aspect that's most appealing. Strip that away and you have one very mediocre game compared to any number of singleplayer RPGs.

> @"mauried.5608" said:

> Ive never understood the logic of players who need to keep complaining about a game that they keep playing.

> No MMO will ever please everyone who plays it , and if this game is not for you then dont play it.

> Its pointless to keep playing a game whilst complaining about it .

>

>

I don't "need" to "keep" complaining. This is the first thread I've _ever_ made about the game(s), since I began playing Guild Wars 1 in 2005.

Also, complaints (when constructive) lead to change. And they're part of the reason why FFXIV is now one of the most respected and popular MMOs available. That game was terrible when it first launched.

> @"Ebonfire.8270" said:

> I also agree this game is the least social mmo I've played. At first, I was captivated by community events and the level of cooperative participation by those on the map. I've been playing MMOs from EQ1 and I was glad to see something different from the old "we are all on the same mission/quest but whoever tags it first gets it" design. But there is something missing, and one thing I'd point to is the flow of gameplay and mob density does not leave much time for socializing. Not that I think it was a great design to engage one mob for a 30-second fight, repeat, and then sit and regen. But I can say the zone chat was sometimes more entertaining than the gameplay. Here it is go, go, go, got to keep moving and be efficient about farming gold/loot.

Yes, absolutely. Everyone's so busy, everyone travels way too fast, and there's not much stopping to smell the roses. And that's a good point about the mob density. You can't just explore a map and enjoy the sights and sounds without getting attacked every few seconds. They put so much work into the level design only for you to blast through it hurriedly (Tangled Depths comes to mind, in particular). In FFXIV and some other MMOs, there are plenty of non-aggressive mobs around, and once you get to a certain level the aggros stop bothering you altogether. I LOVE that. It makes you really feel like you've grown in power.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > @"Ebonfire.8270" said:

> > I also agree this game is the least social mmo I've played. At first, I was captivated by community events and the level of cooperative participation by those on the map. I've been playing MMOs from EQ1 and I was glad to see something different from the old "we are all on the same mission/quest but whoever tags it first gets it" design. But there is something missing, and one thing I'd point to is the flow of gameplay and mob density does not leave much time for socializing. Not that I think it was a great design to engage one mob for a 30-second fight, repeat, and then sit and regen. But I can say the zone chat was sometimes more entertaining than the gameplay. Here it is go, go, go, got to keep moving and be efficient about farming gold/loot.

>

> Yes, absolutely. Everyone's so busy, everyone travels way too fast, and there's not much stopping to smell the roses. And that's a good point about the mob density. You can't just explore a map and enjoy the sights and sounds without getting attacked every few seconds. They put so much work into the level design only for you to blast through it hurriedly (Tangled Depths comes to mind, in particular). In FFXIV and some other MMOs, there are plenty of non-aggressive mobs around, and once you get to a certain level the aggros stop bothering you altogether. I LOVE that. It makes you really feel like you've grown in power.

Mounts and gliding needs to be removed with wp and swiftness and its likes too

I leave guildwars because it's just so old now. I usually go to Black Deert, which has the BEST combat out there of any MMO. It also has a mid boggling array of things to do. But I always end up quiiting BDO and heading back to GW because the story in BDO is garbage and the item enhancement system is literally the worst thing ever designed. Because the game is gear based and it is damn near impossible to upgrade your gear once you reach a certain point without basically negating thousands of hours of play time for each failed attempt, it in't fun anymore, it's an exercise in frustration.

So I come back to GW to derp around for a bit, but rapidly get bored again. I suppose I could work towards legendaries, but...meh I don't see the point. So after a couple weeks of guildwars, I end up feeling like there is nothing left for me to do and leave again.

Aner, stop making expansions and work on guildwars 3.

The combat system, while innovative for a decade ago doesn't hold a candle to black desert. The variety of endless minigames and gameplay options in newer games/MMO's also outdoes GW2 these days.

So if you guys made a decent sandbox MMO with a modern combat system and the sttention to detail and polish Anet is known for, I'll be first in line to buy.

I haven't bought the newest expansion because...

well, why?

the gameplay is the same, the mechanics are unchanged. It's just more grinding.

> @"Derenek.8931" said:

> I leave guildwars because it's just so old now. I usually go to Black Deert, which has the BEST combat out there of any MMO. It also has a mid boggling array of things to do. But I always end up quiiting BDO and heading back to GW because the story in BDO is garbage and the item enhancement system is literally the worst thing ever designed. Because the game is gear based and it is kitten near impossible to upgrade your gear once you reach a certain point without basically negating thousands of hours of play time for each failed attempt, it in't fun anymore, it's an exercise in frustration.

>

> So I come back to GW to kitten around for a bit, but rapidly get bored again. I suppose I could work towards legendaries, but...meh I don't see the point. So after a couple weeks of guildwars, I end up feeling like there is nothing left for me to do and leave again.

>

> Aner, stop making expansions and work on guildwars 3.

> The combat system, while innovative for a decade ago doesn't hold a candle to black desert. The variety of endless minigames and gameplay options in newer games/MMO's also outdoes GW2 these days.

>

> So if you guys made a decent sandbox MMO with a modern combat system and the sttention to detail and polish Anet is known for, I'll be first in line to buy.

>

> I haven't bought the newest expansion because...

> well, why?

> the gameplay is the same, the mechanics are unchanged. It's just more grinding.

Gw3 low chance too happend for the genre is dying

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"Derenek.8931" said:

> > I leave guildwars because it's just so old now. I usually go to Black Deert, which has the BEST combat out there of any MMO. It also has a mid boggling array of things to do. But I always end up quiiting BDO and heading back to GW because the story in BDO is garbage and the item enhancement system is literally the worst thing ever designed. Because the game is gear based and it is kitten near impossible to upgrade your gear once you reach a certain point without basically negating thousands of hours of play time for each failed attempt, it in't fun anymore, it's an exercise in frustration.

> >

> > So I come back to GW to kitten around for a bit, but rapidly get bored again. I suppose I could work towards legendaries, but...meh I don't see the point. So after a couple weeks of guildwars, I end up feeling like there is nothing left for me to do and leave again.

> >

> > Aner, stop making expansions and work on guildwars 3.

> > The combat system, while innovative for a decade ago doesn't hold a candle to black desert. The variety of endless minigames and gameplay options in newer games/MMO's also outdoes GW2 these days.

> >

> > So if you guys made a decent sandbox MMO with a modern combat system and the sttention to detail and polish Anet is known for, I'll be first in line to buy.

> >

> > I haven't bought the newest expansion because...

> > well, why?

> > the gameplay is the same, the mechanics are unchanged. It's just more grinding.

>

> Gw3 low chance too happend for the genre is dying

The genre is dying because there's a million and a half clones out there. People still want to play multiplayer games, it's just that everyone is sick of buying a new game that turns out to be just the same as the other games.

I find it funny to see how so many people seem to be genuinely offended by the OP's opinion.

Since when do we find it so hard to respect other's opinions when they happen to not 100% match our own?

What do you care that the OP's opinion differs from yours? How does that affect you in any way?

Having said that, while I do not agree with you, the OP, on all your critiques, I do find myself agreeing with some of them.

And while I can't really be bothered commenting on each one of them, I would like to share one point of critique of my own (knowing full well that many won't agree with me and simultaneously genuinely not caring about that fact either);

For me, the waypoint system has been the single most immersion breaking factor of the entire game and I have honestly hated it since day 1.

Not only does it make the gameworld feel extremely small (again, for me), it also makes each individual area of the map feel totally insignificant. Because due to the fact that it doesn't cost me any time or effort to either get to or leave a specific area (just an insignificant amount of money followed by a short load screen), I have never felt like I was actually 'living' in Tyria. Instead, my time in Tyria has basically been nothing more than just a long string of short, momentary presences in various seperated areas.

In GW1, for instance, it actually gave me a sense of progress and accomplishment when I had made it from Ascalon to Lion's Arch. I felt like I had - through time and effort - completed a part of my journey.

Or in other MMO's where you physically have to travel across the entire map by foot or mount and it actually means something when you have made it to the far edges of the world map, knowing that your friends are all the way across the other side of the world and it will take you at least a couple of hours travelling to reach them. This made me feel like I, as my character, was actually there. Present in this world. Living there.

Not so with GW2, however. No, it always felt like a gray blob of relativeness to me. Nothing more than a collection of tiny areas that you can just switch between on a whim. And then even these tiny areas are once again subdivided into 10-20 even smaller areas that you can instantly switch between. Sure, when you press 'M' you are made to believe that these are all connected into one giant world, but I was unfortunately never fooled by that illusion.

Of course, I know that due to the instanced nature of the game this will never change. But that is, at the same time, also why I was never truly hooked.

Just as the OP I also invested thousands upon thousands of hours into GW1. I spent the majority of my teenage years playing that game. I made friends for life. Hell, it even ruined my education. But I will never forget those years.

So it will probably be an understatement to say that I have always been a little disappointed that GW2 never managed to do the same for me.

Sure, I've had really great times playing it. I honestly have. But it doesn't compare.

Please, don't get me wrong though. I am certainly not so delusioned to think that even a single one of you is remotely interested in, or cares about what I have just said, so please spare both me and yourself the "ok bye" comments because I genuinely couldn't care less. I know this post won't make one iota of a difference.

To tell you the truth, I am a little bored at work at the moment so even though I hardly ever engage in conversation on the forums, it felt good to get this off my chest.

Treat it, if you will, like a cathartic experience that a random nobody on the internet, who will never make an appearance in your physical reality, just had and that you can therefore peacefully ignore.

Best wishes all. Be kind.

> @"costepj.5120" said:

> > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > Also, complaints (when constructive) lead to change.

>

> The thing is, if GW2 changed in the way that you want, much of the current player base wouldn't be very pleased. I know I'd be among the people looking for a new game.

>

>

I don't expect people to agree with all my criticisms, but are you telling me you wouldn't like to see fishing, housing, and other socially-minded downtime activities? Two person mounts? Or improvements to inventory management? Or a more enjoyable main city? Are you 100% happy with soulbeast then, and the other elite specs?

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > Also, complaints (when constructive) lead to change.

> >

> > The thing is, if GW2 changed in the way that you want, much of the current player base wouldn't be very pleased. I know I'd be among the people looking for a new game.

> >

> >

>

> I don't expect people to agree with all my criticisms, but are you telling me you wouldn't like to see fishing, housing, and other socially-minded downtime activities? Two person mounts? Or improvements to inventory management? Or a more enjoyable main city? Are you 100% happy with soulbeast then, and the other elite specs?

Yes that's what I'm telling you. Not that those are the changes that would make me leave the game; I'd just ignore most of them. But changing more fundamental aspects like downscaling would be a deal breaker.

> @"Scrivs.4501" said:

>

> For me, the waypoint system has been the single most immersion breaking factor of the entire game and I have honestly hated it since day 1.

> Not only does it make the gameworld feel extremely small (again, for me), it also makes each individual area of the map feel totally insignificant. Because due to the fact that it doesn't cost me any time or effort to either get to or leave a specific area (just an insignificant amount of money followed by a short load screen), I have never felt like I was actually 'living' in Tyria. Instead, my time in Tyria has basically been nothing more than just a long string of short, momentary presences in various seperated areas.

>

> In GW1, for instance, it actually gave me a sense of progress and accomplishment when I had made it from Ascalon to Lion's Arch. I felt like I had - through time and effort - completed a part of my journey.

> Or in other MMO's where you physically have to travel across the entire map by foot or mount and it actually means something when you have made it to the far edges of the world map, knowing that your friends are all the way across the other side of the world and it will take you at least a couple of hours travelling to reach them. This made me feel like I, as my character, was actually there. Present in this world. Living there.

> Not so with GW2, however. No, it always felt like a gray blob of relativeness to me. Nothing more than a collection of tiny areas that you can just switch between on a whim. And then even these tiny areas are once again subdivided into 10-20 even smaller areas that you can instantly switch between. Sure, when you press 'M' you are made to believe that these are all connected into one giant world, but I was unfortunately never fooled by that illusion.

>

I totally agree. The world feels small and disjointed because of the waypoints, even though it is massive. I never get a sense of the layout of the land because I'm not forced to spend much time in each section. Throw me in almost any area and, without looking at the map, I would have no idea where I'm going. It's also completely jarring and immersion-breaking when you're adventuring with someone and they just disappear instantly.

> @"costepj.5120" said:

> > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > > > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > > Also, complaints (when constructive) lead to change.

> > >

> > > The thing is, if GW2 changed in the way that you want, much of the current player base wouldn't be very pleased. I know I'd be among the people looking for a new game.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I don't expect people to agree with all my criticisms, but are you telling me you wouldn't like to see fishing, housing, and other socially-minded downtime activities? Two person mounts? Or improvements to inventory management? Or a more enjoyable main city? Are you 100% happy with soulbeast then, and the other elite specs?

>

> Yes that's what I'm telling you. Not that those are the changes that would make me leave the game; I'd just ignore most of them. But changing more fundamental aspects like downscaling would be a deal breaker.

Um, wow. You must feel the game is perfect then. I'm happy for you, really.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > > > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > > > > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > > > Also, complaints (when constructive) lead to change.

> > > >

> > > > The thing is, if GW2 changed in the way that you want, much of the current player base wouldn't be very pleased. I know I'd be among the people looking for a new game.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I don't expect people to agree with all my criticisms, but are you telling me you wouldn't like to see fishing, housing, and other socially-minded downtime activities? Two person mounts? Or improvements to inventory management? Or a more enjoyable main city? Are you 100% happy with soulbeast then, and the other elite specs?

> >

> > Yes that's what I'm telling you. Not that those are the changes that would make me leave the game; I'd just ignore most of them. But changing more fundamental aspects like downscaling would be a deal breaker.

>

> Um, wow. You must feel the game is perfect then. I'm happy for you, really.

Perfect for me anyway. I'm just about to tick over 7000 hours in game, which would be a bit strange if I didn't enjoy it!

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > @"Ebonfire.8270" said:

> > > I also agree this game is the least social mmo I've played. At first, I was captivated by community events and the level of cooperative participation by those on the map. I've been playing MMOs from EQ1 and I was glad to see something different from the old "we are all on the same mission/quest but whoever tags it first gets it" design. But there is something missing, and one thing I'd point to is the flow of gameplay and mob density does not leave much time for socializing. Not that I think it was a great design to engage one mob for a 30-second fight, repeat, and then sit and regen. But I can say the zone chat was sometimes more entertaining than the gameplay. Here it is go, go, go, got to keep moving and be efficient about farming gold/loot.

> >

> > Yes, absolutely. Everyone's so busy, everyone travels way too fast, and there's not much stopping to smell the roses. And that's a good point about the mob density. You can't just explore a map and enjoy the sights and sounds without getting attacked every few seconds. They put so much work into the level design only for you to blast through it hurriedly (Tangled Depths comes to mind, in particular). In FFXIV and some other MMOs, there are plenty of non-aggressive mobs around, and once you get to a certain level the aggros stop bothering you altogether. I LOVE that. It makes you really feel like you've grown in power.

>

> Mounts and gliding needs to be removed with wp and swiftness and its likes too

I would honestly be fine with some of that, depending on the area. Don't put mounts in areas that were never designed with mounts in mind. Same with gliders. People are just blasting through areas like a bat out of hell. It used to be fun trying to figure out how to get to vistas in base content, now you just launch up to them instantly in your stupid mount. Of course I _could_ make it more difficult on myself and NOT use a mount, but I could also make it more difficult on myself if I blindfolded myself and played the game with my toes while drunk.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > I love Gw2 because I'm not FORCED to play or socialize with other players. I suffer from social anxiety which actually is way worse when playing online, for whatever reason.

> > I absolutely adore the genre of MMORPGs, yet Gw2 is pretty much the only game I can play without occasionally experiencing panic attacks.

>

> Why would you play MMOs at all if you have such extreme social anxiety? I'm genuinely curious. For me, it's the social aspect that's most appealing. Strip that away and you have one very mediocre game compared to any number of singleplayer RPGs.

Because I like to have the possibility to play with my friends and make new friends IF i feel comfortable enough. I like Gw2 because all that is possible, but not required.

Also I just like the gameplay of MMORPGs. Single Player RPGs don't seem to do it for me.

On top of that, excluding activities because of your anxiety is (at least in my case) very counter productive.

> @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > I love Gw2 because I'm not FORCED to play or socialize with other players. I suffer from social anxiety which actually is way worse when playing online, for whatever reason.

> > > I absolutely adore the genre of MMORPGs, yet Gw2 is pretty much the only game I can play without occasionally experiencing panic attacks.

> >

> > Why would you play MMOs at all if you have such extreme social anxiety? I'm genuinely curious. For me, it's the social aspect that's most appealing. Strip that away and you have one very mediocre game compared to any number of singleplayer RPGs.

>

> Because I like to have the possibility to play with my friends and make new friends IF i feel comfortable enough. I like Gw2 because all that is possible, but not required.

> Also I just like the gameplay of MMORPGs. Single Player RPGs don't seem to do it for me.

I see. The way you worded your previous post made it seem like you didn't want to have anything to do with people.

I have completly different experiences than OP.

* People are often discussing on map chat in LA and DR.

* When you revive someone you will always hear "thanks".

* When you are dead/dying someone will help you (if there is another player nearby ofc).

* Players leave portals near difficult Jumping Puzzles and ask for tips. Which I fund very nice.

* People will PM you or ask you on "say" what is your armor/outfit/dyes.

This is only a small part of all the possible interactions with other players.

> @"Assic.2746" said:

> I have completly different experiences than OP.

> * People are often discussing on map chat in LA and DR.

> * When you revive someone you will always hear "thanks".

> * When you are dead/dying someone will help you (if there is another player nearby ofc).

> * Players leave portals near difficult Jumping Puzzles and ask for tips. Which I fund very nice.

> * People will PM you or ask you on "say" what is your armor/outfit/dyes.

>

> This is only a small part of all the possible interactions with other players.

1. That's not really socializing. That's an anonymous chatbox and has nothing to do with actual gameplay.

2. A kind gesture, but leads to nothing.

3. Same thing.

4. Again--typically doesn't lead to anything. You pay the guy/gal, say thanks, then you never see them again.

5. That's never happened to me. And I've got some pretty cool stuff!

There are different ways of socializing. Joining a disscussion on map chat is as good as having one with your guildmates or friends.

Being nice to each other also makes the community more friendly.

Good that we have: [GW2 Friend/Ships](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/friendships/ "GW2 Friend/Ships")

Share your story there. It doesn't have to be happy one and maybe someone will invite you to a guild you are looking for.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> 1. That's not really socializing. That's an anonymous chatbox and has nothing to do with actual gameplay.

What? xD Interacting with people = socialising. Sorry, I find it to be a bit absurd to try and put some arbitrary qualifier on what counts as socialising now! It's not even anonymous - you can see exactly who's talking.

I think your issue is that you're only seeing socialising as valid if it's a deep, meaningful, lasting, committed interaction. Personally, I don't have a lot of time to commit to a guild anymore. But I still like to engage casually with local/map chat and I've had some great conversations and team-ups with random people. Like others, I've generally found the PvE community to be positive on the whole as the game has been designed to make it minimum effort to cooperate/help each other. It's one of the game's strengths, IMO. Are there exceptions? Certainly, but they haven't been the wealth of my experience.

You may view these interactions as 'shallow' in a sense - yes, lots of times you'll have a quick friendly chat and then part ways - but personally I enjoy that the game facilitates low-effort community building. It's incredibly casual and flexible on the social side. You can have your longterm, committed social connections via guilds and friends, and your casual fleeting pleasantries with people in the map. Not every interaction needs to be deep and meaningful.

I played GW1 for a long time, too. I was in a guild, but usually my general play was henchman-driven. I often found people would only team up for particularly tough instances, so I actually feel that GW2 is far better on the social front than its predecessor, given that its dynamic event system facilitates casual grouping without even touching an LFG tool.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > > @"Ebonfire.8270" said:

> > > > I also agree this game is the least social mmo I've played. At first, I was captivated by community events and the level of cooperative participation by those on the map. I've been playing MMOs from EQ1 and I was glad to see something different from the old "we are all on the same mission/quest but whoever tags it first gets it" design. But there is something missing, and one thing I'd point to is the flow of gameplay and mob density does not leave much time for socializing. Not that I think it was a great design to engage one mob for a 30-second fight, repeat, and then sit and regen. But I can say the zone chat was sometimes more entertaining than the gameplay. Here it is go, go, go, got to keep moving and be efficient about farming gold/loot.

> > >

> > > Yes, absolutely. Everyone's so busy, everyone travels way too fast, and there's not much stopping to smell the roses. And that's a good point about the mob density. You can't just explore a map and enjoy the sights and sounds without getting attacked every few seconds. They put so much work into the level design only for you to blast through it hurriedly (Tangled Depths comes to mind, in particular). In FFXIV and some other MMOs, there are plenty of non-aggressive mobs around, and once you get to a certain level the aggros stop bothering you altogether. I LOVE that. It makes you really feel like you've grown in power.

> >

> > Mounts and gliding needs to be removed with wp and swiftness and its likes too

>

> I would honestly be fine with some of that, depending on the area. Don't put mounts in areas that were never designed with mounts in mind. Same with gliders. People are just blasting through areas like a bat out of hell. It used to be fun trying to figure out how to get to vistas in base content, now you just launch up to them instantly in your stupid mount. Of course I _could_ make it more difficult on myself and NOT use a mount, but I could also make it more difficult on myself if I blindfolded myself and played the game with my toes while drunk.

No they have to go alltogether they are bad for game