Obligatory pvp theory craft thread XD

tartarus.1082

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"MyriadStars.5679" said:

> > @"kventura.8356" said:

> > whats that power shatter build you guys talk about...may i see it?

>

> It's this one:

> https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Double_Ranged_Shatter

>

> I had great fun with it until they released HOT because it was weaker than elite specs.

Yeah it was probably one of my favorite builds, aside from lockdown specs.

> > whats that power shatter build you guys talk about...may i see it?

>

> It's this one:

> https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Double_Ranged_Shatter

>

> I had great fun with it until they released HOT because it was weaker than elite specs.

what would be the modern version? since its kinda outdated...sorry new to mesmers xD

> @"kventura.8356" said:

> > @"MyriadStars.5679" said:

> > > @"kventura.8356" said:

> > > whats that power shatter build you guys talk about...may i see it?

> >

> > It's this one:

> > https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Double_Ranged_Shatter

> >

> > I had great fun with it until they released HOT because it was weaker than elite specs.

>

> what would be the modern version? since its kinda outdated...sorry new to mesmers xD

Probably chrono, don, and the illusion line. If you take it I would recommend feedback as your third util along with blink and portal. With staff you can pretty much outkite any mellee spec, but projectiles will give you a tough time. Mirage is obv good over chrono, but I would rather take sword over staff on mirage

I'm seeing some potential in Chaos/Illusions/Mirage with Cele amulet.

Can't make in build editor because not updated.

Chaos - Master of Manipulation, Chaotic Damping, Bountiful Disillusionment

Illusions - Shatter Storm, Maim, Master of Fragmentation

Mirage - Renewing Oasis, Mirrored Axes, Elusive Mind

Cele amulet

Rune of the Adventure

Staff (Energy/x) + Axe/Torch (Energy/x)

Mirror (heal), Blink, Portal, Illusionary Ambush, Jaunt

Possible trait changes:

Could swap Renewing Oasis for Self Deception to pop out more clones. I like the perma regen, but extra clones will really boost the damage output, so this one is personal preference.

Second sigil is personal preference. I like Cleansing but can use might generating sigils.

Portal and Illusionary Ambush are personal preference - could swap out either. IA could be swapped with a Signet - either Signet of Inspiration if you want some boon synergy and swiftness or Signet of Illusions for shatter recharge and occasional clone generator.

So far I'm able to get high power and condi damage thanks to Compounding Power, Shatter Storm and Bountiful Disillusionment together with staff autos/ambush.

I had a full evening to play yesterday, and although it is far from being a 100% reliable benchmark, however I was playing top tier gold bracket and had a wonderful night. An 80% ratio win over 15 or so matches. Even in those matches when I rarely lost, I did not feel it was because of the nerfs but rather for a poor team comp.

The most interesting thing is that I came out on top with damage on roughly a 60% of the matches.

I used the same build I used before the patch. See here:

[gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA "gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA")

I agree, crazy confusion stacking is not possible anymore, but this is ok. I feel we are still in a good spot, and I wrecked few power mes, so I went to sleep all happy :)

TL; DR. Condi Mirage is still strong.

> @"Curunen.8729" said:

> I'm seeing some potential in Chaos/Illusions/Mirage with Cele amulet.

>

> Can't make in build editor because not updated.

>

> Chaos - Master of Manipulation, Chaotic Damping, Bountiful Disillusionment

> Illusions - Shatter Storm, Maim, Master of Fragmentation

> Mirage - Renewing Oasis, Mirrored Axes, Elusive Mind

> Cele amulet

> Rune of the Adventure

> Staff (Energy/x) + Axe/Torch (Energy/x)

> Mirror (heal), Blink, Portal, Illusionary Ambush, Jaunt

>

> Possible trait changes:

> Could swap Renewing Oasis for Self Deception to pop out more clones. I like the perma regen, but extra clones will really boost the damage output, so this one is personal preference.

> Second sigil is personal preference. I like Cleansing but can use might generating sigils.

> Portal and Illusionary Ambush are personal preference - could swap out either. IA could be swapped with a Signet - either Signet of Inspiration if you want some boon synergy and swiftness or Signet of Illusions for shatter recharge and occasional clone generator.

>

> So far I'm able to get high power and condi damage thanks to Compounding Power, Shatter Storm and Bountiful Disillusionment together with staff autos/ambush.

Yep, I played around with something very similar last night though using swashbuckler. I don't feel you get a whole lot out of cele's healing power since you don't have inspiration but there might be enough there (regen) to warrant it. For sure you're not getting much of the healing power from Mirror. The ammo mind wrack coupled with battle sigils can keep might up at a good rate. I also used a boon duration rune. Gonna keep messing with it

> @"trooper.2650" said:

> I had a full evening to play yesterday, and although it is far from being a 100% reliable benchmark, however I was playing top tier gold bracket and had a wonderful night. An 80% ratio win over 15 or so matches. Even in those matches when I rarely lost, I did not feel it was because of the nerfs but rather for a poor team comp.

> The most interesting thing is that I came out on top with damage on roughly a 60% of the matches.

> I used the same build I used before the patch. See here:

>

> [gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA "gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA")

>

> I agree, crazy confusion stacking is not possible anymore, but this is ok. I feel we are still in a good spot, and I wrecked few power mes, so I went to sleep all happy :)

>

> TL; DR. Condi Mirage is still strong.

Do you expect that a sword condition build such as the following would still likely work?

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Carrion_Ineptitude

I was experimenting with my engi alt in pvp last night, so I haven't tried it with Mesmer (my pvp main) yet.

> @"trooper.2650" said:

> I had a full evening to play yesterday, and although it is far from being a 100% reliable benchmark, however I was playing top tier gold bracket and had a wonderful night. An 80% ratio win over 15 or so matches. Even in those matches when I rarely lost, I did not feel it was because of the nerfs but rather for a poor team comp.

> The most interesting thing is that I came out on top with damage on roughly a 60% of the matches.

> I used the same build I used before the patch. See here:

>

> [gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA "gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA")

>

> I agree, crazy confusion stacking is not possible anymore, but this is ok. I feel we are still in a good spot, and I wrecked few power mes, so I went to sleep all happy :)

>

> TL; DR. Condi Mirage is still strong.

Glad to hear that. While I'm a solid WvW roamer and don't do ranked PvP. I found the same last night. I still wrecked every 1v1 I had last night with my same condi build. I feel for the PvE mesmers though. Without the higher confusion damage from rapid skill usage it took a bit longer to take camps and towers solo. I can imagine that the PvE'rs are having a much harder time adjusting to the confusion changes.

I remember how bad everyone was kittening about Mirage when it came out, saying how bad it was. I think with a bit of time things will smooth out, and adjust.

> @"tartarus.1082" said:

> > > @"MyriadStars.5679" said:

> > > > @"kventura.8356" said:

> > > > whats that power shatter build you guys talk about...may i see it?

> > >

> > > It's this one:

> > > https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Double_Ranged_Shatter

> > >

> > > I had great fun with it until they released HOT because it was weaker than elite specs.

> >

> > what would be the modern version? since its kinda outdated...sorry new to mesmers xD

>

> Probably chrono, don, and the illusion line. If you take it I would recommend feedback as your third util along with blink and portal. With staff you can pretty much outkite any mellee spec, but projectiles will give you a tough time. Mirage is obv good over chrono, but I would rather take sword over staff on mirage

Im using this one: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Burden_Shatter is that ok?

> @"kventura.8356" said:

> > @"tartarus.1082" said:

> > > @"kventura.8356" said:

> > > > @"MyriadStars.5679" said:

> > > > > @"kventura.8356" said:

> > > > > whats that power shatter build you guys talk about...may i see it?

> > > >

> > > > It's this one:

> > > > https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Double_Ranged_Shatter

> > > >

> > > > I had great fun with it until they released HOT because it was weaker than elite specs.

> > >

> > > what would be the modern version? since its kinda outdated...sorry new to mesmers xD

> >

> > Probably chrono, don, and the illusion line. If you take it I would recommend feedback as your third util along with blink and portal. With staff you can pretty much outkite any mellee spec, but projectiles will give you a tough time. Mirage is obv good over chrono, but I would rather take sword over staff on mirage

>

> Im using this one: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Burden_Shatter is that ok?

Probably, the phantasm spam builds are honestly kinda funny to use. I wouldn’t say it’s highly competitive though since spamming them out uses a lot of cds

> > @"trooper.2650" said:

> > I had a full evening to play yesterday, and although it is far from being a 100% reliable benchmark, however I was playing top tier gold bracket and had a wonderful night. An 80% ratio win over 15 or so matches. Even in those matches when I rarely lost, I did not feel it was because of the nerfs but rather for a poor team comp.

> > The most interesting thing is that I came out on top with damage on roughly a 60% of the matches.

> > I used the same build I used before the patch. See here:

> >

> > [gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA "gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDFphlpBWoBMMjlXDrMB0biGoBgcyzx//VAPgA-jZxHABGVG4/TAAAPBAy3fQ5DBAA")

> >

> > I agree, crazy confusion stacking is not possible anymore, but this is ok. I feel we are still in a good spot, and I wrecked few power mes, so I went to sleep all happy :)

> >

> > TL; DR. Condi Mirage is still strong.

>

> Do you expect that a sword condition build such as the following would still likely work?

> https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Carrion_Ineptitude

>

> I was experimenting with my engi alt in pvp last night, so I haven't tried it with Mesmer (my pvp main) yet.

Absolutely. Sword provides more mobility and more "defensive" play style than axe. I met some good mirage with sword and was a though battle.

However, I prefer axe for its playstyle suits me better but the two builds are similar. Although, I deal more damage because of Infinite Horizon trait. If you go with sword, this trait does not provide the same damage output so they are better with Elusive Mind. I do not judge the amulet or the sigils/runes. They are both good combos but I feel I am more confident with with my choices

> @"Musty.3148" said:

> I remember how bad everyone was kittening about Mirage when it came out, saying how bad it was. I think with a bit of time things will smooth out, and adjust.

Ahahah... been thinking the same. My impression was very good since the release of PoF and I think ANet did a great, great job. I much prefer Mirage over chrono, even now

> @"tartarus.1082" said:

> > > @"tartarus.1082" said:

> > > > @"kventura.8356" said:

> > > > > @"MyriadStars.5679" said:

> > > > > > @"kventura.8356" said:

> > > > > > whats that power shatter build you guys talk about...may i see it?

> > > > >

> > > > > It's this one:

> > > > > https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Double_Ranged_Shatter

> > > > >

> > > > > I had great fun with it until they released HOT because it was weaker than elite specs.

> > > >

> > > > what would be the modern version? since its kinda outdated...sorry new to mesmers xD

> > >

> > > Probably chrono, don, and the illusion line. If you take it I would recommend feedback as your third util along with blink and portal. With staff you can pretty much outkite any mellee spec, but projectiles will give you a tough time. Mirage is obv good over chrono, but I would rather take sword over staff on mirage

> >

> > Im using this one: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Burden_Shatter is that ok?

>

> Probably, the phantasm spam builds are honestly kinda funny to use. I wouldn’t say it’s highly competitive though since spamming them out uses a lot of cds

hahaha im still kinda of kitten as you guys would say...still playing unranked stuff only lvl 24 in pvp...at least until i learn all the mechanics

> @"skcamow.3527" said:

> > @"Curunen.8729" said:

> > I'm seeing some potential in Chaos/Illusions/Mirage with Cele amulet.

> >

> > Can't make in build editor because not updated.

> >

> > Chaos - Master of Manipulation, Chaotic Damping, Bountiful Disillusionment

> > Illusions - Shatter Storm, Maim, Master of Fragmentation

> > Mirage - Renewing Oasis, Mirrored Axes, Elusive Mind

> > Cele amulet

> > Rune of the Adventure

> > Staff (Energy/x) + Axe/Torch (Energy/x)

> > Mirror (heal), Blink, Portal, Illusionary Ambush, Jaunt

> >

> > Possible trait changes:

> > Could swap Renewing Oasis for Self Deception to pop out more clones. I like the perma regen, but extra clones will really boost the damage output, so this one is personal preference.

> > Second sigil is personal preference. I like Cleansing but can use might generating sigils.

> > Portal and Illusionary Ambush are personal preference - could swap out either. IA could be swapped with a Signet - either Signet of Inspiration if you want some boon synergy and swiftness or Signet of Illusions for shatter recharge and occasional clone generator.

> >

> > So far I'm able to get high power and condi damage thanks to Compounding Power, Shatter Storm and Bountiful Disillusionment together with staff autos/ambush.

>

> Yep, I played around with something very similar last night though using swashbuckler. I don't feel you get a whole lot out of cele's healing power since you don't have inspiration but there might be enough there (regen) to warrant it. For sure you're not getting much of the healing power from Mirror. The ammo mind wrack coupled with battle sigils can keep might up at a good rate. I also used a boon duration amulet. Gonna keep messing with it

Hmm, swashbuckler is certainly interesting. Pretty nice damage output. I do admit I am addicted to the perma regen from Renewing Oasis hence I like a bit of healing power to buff it, although the difference between 130ish ticks vs 180ish ticks is not that significant so the healing power isn't necessary. The toughness is nice on cele though.

But yeah either swashbuckler or wizards are solid amulets here.

Condition chrono is dead. Condition mirage is okay but not good enough IMO.

Both power chrono and mirage seem to work better.

Power chrono phantasm build seems to be viable. You can go either burst or sustain. Inspiration is probably still the best but not essential since we are most likely having a power meta.

Power mirage just works like before but becomes stronger with new trait options in illusion.

> @"rank eleven monk.9502" said:

> Well after some testing I have to say the classic power build is almost the same as before. Power block is still a better option than dual berserker.

>

> Gonna try Illusion soon as well

Yeah I definitely still use power block, but I actually like illusions. The quickness trait let’s you do some nice things, and the overall utility of the mid grandmaster always comes in clutch.

Sure dueling will overall have a harder hitting burst, but in general the downtime is larger and the overall utility is reduced

It feels harder to play a bursty shatter build now, because we can no longer shatter phantasms. After the release of POF, clones get killed fast in pvp due to lots of high-damage AOE attacks, so that pre-POF builds became obsolete. Previously confusions gave us higher damage to cope with it, and now it's gone and we cannot shatter phantasms. The consequence is that it's really important to finish every combo in less than 1 second, or your clones would be mostly gone...at least it is the case when the matchmaking system decides that you should fight a tough team. This is much less forgiving than before.

> It feels harder to play a bursty shatter build now, because we can no longer shatter phantasms. After the release of POF, clones get killed fast in pvp due to lots of high-damage AOE attacks, so that pre-POF builds became obsolete. Previously confusions gave us higher damage to cope with it, and now it's gone and we cannot shatter phantasms. The consequence is that it's really important to finish every combo in less than 1 second, or your clones would be mostly gone...at least it is the case when the matchmaking system decides that you should fight a tough team. This is much less forgiving than before.

>

Most burst builds don’t use phantasms to shatter and use fast clone spawning to immediately shatter. Examples would be deceptive evasion or the mirage trait that spawns a clone on jaunt if you have a clone.

> @"tartarus.1082" said:

> > @"MyriadStars.5679" said:

> > It feels harder to play a bursty shatter build now, because we can no longer shatter phantasms. After the release of POF, clones get killed fast in pvp due to lots of high-damage AOE attacks, so that pre-POF builds became obsolete. Previously confusions gave us higher damage to cope with it, and now it's gone and we cannot shatter phantasms. The consequence is that it's really important to finish every combo in less than 1 second, or your clones would be mostly gone...at least it is the case when the matchmaking system decides that you should fight a tough team. This is much less forgiving than before.

> >

>

> Most burst builds don’t use phantasms to shatter and use fast clone spawning to immediately shatter. Examples would be deceptive evasion or the mirage trait that spawns a clone on jaunt if you have a clone.

>

Would it be better to use a staff or a GS in the current builds? I felt that the GS clone sometimes dies too fast in group fights, since they could spawn in the middle of an AOE attack (which is easy for the enemy to perform post-POF). Am I right that, to spawn an additional clone from jaunt, I have to wait for the GS clone to appear (if no other clones are available)? If so, the GS clone could die instantly in group fights when it spawns. The staff is also a defensive weapon to keep oneself alive, but with confusions gone, it's hard to decide.