Phantasmal Defender doesn't seem to scale with condition duration

Me Games Ma.8426

• ArenaNet Staff

Unlike most phantasms, when the defender applies its condition (taunt) it is sourced directly from the phantasm. Normally conditions applied by phantasms are sourced from the memser which allows the condition duration stat to apply. In the case of the defender we can't do this, because of how taunt functions. Taunt causes the taunted target to attack the source of the taunt. If we sourced the condition to the mesmer and allowed your condition duration to apply, the taunted target would attack YOU.

> @"Robert Gee.9246" said:

> Unlike most phantasms, when the defender applies its condition (taunt) it is sourced directly from the phantasm. Normally conditions applied by phantasms are sourced from the memser which allows the condition duration stat to apply. In the case of the defender we can't do this, because of how taunt functions. Taunt causes the taunted target to attack the source of the taunt. If we sourced the condition to the mesmer and allowed your condition duration to apply, the taunted target would attack YOU.

Huh well that’s interesting and good to know.

Aww that's sad. I've had the idea to let one chrono upkeep taunt to enable perma tempest defense.

@"Robert Gee.9246" can you update the skillfact? :)

Also i don't understand how my phantasm got condition duration to bring the duration to over 4s (as the video prooves that it was at 4s for a really short time)

Do phantasms inherit the mesmer's expertise? (That would explain it since i got most of the curation via runes/signet/etc.)

> @"Robert Gee.9246" said:

> Unlike most phantasms, when the defender applies its condition (taunt) it is sourced directly from the phantasm. Normally conditions applied by phantasms are sourced from the memser which allows the condition duration stat to apply. In the case of the defender we can't do this, because of how taunt functions. Taunt causes the taunted target to attack the source of the taunt. If we sourced the condition to the mesmer and allowed your condition duration to apply, the taunted target would attack YOU.

Can you please make the defender inherit our expertise then?

Double duration would be a 2s taunt in PvP and WvW. Not too strong imo.

At least on the current cooldown.

For PvE this could possibly mean a great Chrono/Ele synergy.

With 100% condition duration one could make a illusions chaos chrono that provides quickness, alacrity and taunt.

4 defenders in the first rotation (including chronophantasma) 4x2x6=48s taunt -4s that it takes to finish the rotation under quickness + 2x2x6=24s (again -2 for rota) result in ~66s

Both defender cooldowns should take (33s) 66s under alacrity so the moment the taunt runs out you could redo the rotation.

Fun stuff :heart:

> @"Pyroatheist.9031" said:

> > @"MikeL.8260" said:

> > Isn't Taunt a bit too powerful to make it scale with the Mesmer's expertise? It essentially means double the duration. Just saying.

>

> It's on a 50 second cooldown. Just saying.

Is it just me or is 50 seconds... too high? I would never use it in PvP/WvW because I can take.. well anything else. Without illusionist celerity any more the cd’s on phantasm are a little too high imo.

> @"Ben K.6238" said:

> It's far from reliable, but I'll post an example screenshot from one of my guildies.

> ![](https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/247522338105589771/410703164082487306/unknown.png "")

>

It seems like another tool for Mesmer to screw over bad players who then will ask for nerfs but can easily be dealt with by experienced players.

I just want to add i don't think defenders taunt should scale with our expertise taunt a pretty powerful cc and defender does alot of damage it gives us a shatter set up thats absurdly OP 4seconds of taunt into shatter, if they break stun i can still shatter unless they do it prefectly then dodge or invul either or i just took a heavy cc for a defender that i can signet back for another go.

Would be cool tho.

Give us back confuse and don't make it scale with our expertise bring back dot damage damage and active damage and put a limit on how many times it on skill activate per action, hell put a max action count on it too if you feel its too powerful.

Edited for clarification.

> @"Pyroatheist.9031" said:

> > @"MikeL.8260" said:

> > Isn't Taunt a bit too powerful to make it scale with the Mesmer's expertise? It essentially means double the duration. Just saying.

>

> It's on a 50 second cooldown. Just saying.

The utility one is not the only Defender we have, the trait in Inspiration that summons once when you block or evade an attack is on a 20 seconds cooldown if I'm not mistaken and also don't forget chronophantasma.

> @"MikeL.8260" said:

> > @"Pyroatheist.9031" said:

> > > @"MikeL.8260" said:

> > > Isn't Taunt a bit too powerful to make it scale with the Mesmer's expertise? It essentially means double the duration. Just saying.

> >

> > It's on a 50 second cooldown. Just saying.

>

> The utility one is not the only Defender we have, the trait in Inspiration that summons once when you block or evade an attack is on a 20 seconds cooldown if I'm not mistaken and also don't forget chronophantasma.

The trait is on 50 secs cd as well, at least its tooltip says so.