New player, looking for another class (ranged) to play with. Need suggestions

grabowac.7915

Hello all,

I'm playing GW2 for about 10 days.

I bought PoF and I pushed Necromancer to lv80 with the boost. (boosted to get the Raptor asap and maybe play later)

I leveled my Mesmer from 1 to 80 and I'm playing Mirage right now.

As the title says, I am looking for another class to play with and maybe "switch" from Mirage to that another class with decend damage.

Looking more for PvE than PvP, but if both could work it would be great.

I like the Mirage and I think its cool right now even confusion was nerfed.

I just wanna test/play other classes, but can't decide which one to play and that's why I need a little help.

I was thinking between Engineer, Necro and eventually Ranger.

My first choice would be Engineer.

Although Engi isnt that much ranged class because of the bombs, I like the Rifle and all the AoE damage and I would give it a try, if the DPS is good enough.

How is the DPS compared to Mirage?

Second choice maybe Necromancer, but since I've heard that Necro barely does any damage, I would skip it.

Is this true, that Necro isnt such a good DPS? If not, how is it compared to Engineer?

Ranger would be my 3rd go, but I never looked deeply into the class so I dont know the combs/rotations/etc.

Do you maybe have any other suggestions as a ranged class, that has good dps?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> Engineer rifle is trash, if you want a range build just play longbow Ranger, 1500m range with some interesting skills.

But, how is the dps overall? I thought in GW2 the Ranged weapons dont do that much damage as melee weapons do.

Thats why I would like to know how it is.

I'd say Necro is also a ranged class, but if it does "no damage", then I will not have that much fun with it. :-) thanks

> @"Tzarakiel.7490" said:

> All the classes in the game have passable ranged damage for open world PvE, but some of them need elite specializations from expansions.

Yeah but how is it for Fractals? I just started with some fractals and with the Mirage I do decent damage.

I have PoF expansion if that helps! :-)

> @"grabowac.7915" said:

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > Engineer rifle is trash, if you want a range build just play longbow Ranger, 1500m range with some interesting skills.

>

> But, how is the dps overall? I thought in GW2 the Ranged weapons dont do that much damage as melee weapons do.

> Thats why I would like to know how it is.

>

> I'd say Necro is also a ranged class, but if it does "no damage", then I will not have that much fun with it. :-) thanks

If you are just doing PVE open world stuff longbow ranger damage is fine, it's not the best but it offers you a lot of safety to go with it, necro damage is also fine although it is better suited to AOE situations, then it really shines.

I do agree on engi rifle being absolute trash. I played engi for the love of it, but having to run up on every trashmob to use bombkit auto attack on them was so annoying that I quit engi altogether.

If you really want to stay ranged, you can use Rev Hammer or Renegade Elite spec (haven't tried Rev though, but soon enough will do so) or as posted before try Ranger. I level a ranger right now and always use all my longbow skills to my best knowledge but instead of staying at range and pew-pewing for my skills to come off cooldown, I unsheath my mighty greatsword and go havoc B) thus, I like ranger quite a lot.

Also, I did a Necro and gotta say it only appealed to me after I completely unlocked Reaper. Alas, that was more than one year ago and some balances have happened since then... maybe Necro is more viable now?

P.S.: I main a warrior, so my opinion about ranged damage being meh might be somewhat biased. Sry.

Just my two cents ;)

Have fun playing!

> @"grabowac.7915" said:

> Yeah but how is it for Fractals? I just started with some fractals and with the Mirage I do decent damage.

> I have PoF expansion if that helps! :-)

Don't play ranged in fractals, they are not made for that. You can play ranged at open world bosses, that's probably the best option there. This game is different to others when it comes to ranged combat. It is expected that even if you use a 1500 range weapon, you stay close to the melee group. That way you get heals, boons, share your own benefits with them, can get resurrected if you get downed etc. Your damage output will be higher too. When you move away from the group, you are often doomed.

@"Plautze.6290" , @"Faaris.8013" , @"Tzarakiel.7490" ,

alright, firstly thanks for your opinions.

Just yeah, it doesn't have to be a "1500 range" profession/weapon, I'd be happy with 900, just I dont know if something's good with that range.

I would even give Necromancer a try but since everybody complains that it was nerfed even further, I dont wanna even start with it..

But yeah, are any other options except Engi, Necro and Ranger for the "semi-ranged" build/profession?

idk maybe thief or ele?

Dual pistol power unload thief... gotta level that too. Is kind of boring to play but the looks are awesome... get your char a black leather coat, sunglasses and two modern-looking guns like the Pact Handgun and you're all set up to be the next Neo. Asuras even do nice flips while evading.

But as an afterthought: Don't neglect classes just because some people say so! your mileage may vary... one man's trash is another man's treasure. Perhaps you really dig Engi or Necro? You'll never know until you at least try ;)

> @"Plautze.6290" said:

> Dual pistol power unload thief... gotta level that too. Is kind of boring to play but the looks are awesome... get your char a black leather coat, sunglasses and two modern-looking guns like the Pact Handgun and you're all set up to be the next Neo. Asuras even do nice flips while evading.

Haha well that seems to be cool, but damagewise it cant compete with other classes or?

> @"grabowac.7915" said:

> > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > Dual pistol power unload thief... gotta level that too. Is kind of boring to play but the looks are awesome... get your char a black leather coat, sunglasses and two modern-looking guns like the Pact Handgun and you're all set up to be the next Neo. Asuras even do nice flips while evading.

>

> Haha well that seems to be cool, but damagewise it cant compete with other classes or?

I don't know about meta and such, but imho the mobs go down rather fast if fully hit by 1-3 volleys of Unload.

Except, if they have reflect up... then it's your turn to go down fast. On the other hand, you're not supposed to camp dual pistol all the time. Changing weapons in a way that both skill sets complement each other is the whole art of combat. That, and positioning. And dodging. Lots of dodging.

Also, what Tzarakiel says.