GW2 March Sales: Predictions (aka Those Who Do Remember History Sometimes Still Have to Repeat It)

> @"OkamiLuna.5182" said:

> Yeah Story is important to me. I'm still fairly new but fell in love with the game mostly due to story and lore (well and exploration). I'm really impatient to catch up with the bits that I can that I've missed. :)

In that case, I'd spend the gems as soon as you have 1280. I don't think it's worth the wait (for you) to save maybe 200-300 more gems.

PS don't convert gold to gems today. The price spiked due to today's sale item (mistlock sanctuary pass is 800 instead of the usual 1000; a great deal). Yesterday, we could get 400 gems for 110-114 gold; today that costs 130 gold. (If you're using RL cash, this won't matter, of course.)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> PS don't convert gold to gems today. The price spiked due to today's sale item (mistlock sanctuary pass is 800 instead of the usual 1000; a great deal). Yesterday, we could get 400 gems for 110-114 gold; today that costs 130 gold. (If you're using RL cash, this won't matter, of course.)

It's funny how some people rush to convert gems despite the unfavourable exchange rate in order to take advantage of a discount, when they would save more by converting when the exchange rate is more attractive and paying full price for what they want!

Of course the best tactic is to buy gems when they are cheaper and save them until the sales come round :)

> Of course the best tactic is to buy gems when they are cheaper and save them until the sales come round :)

Yes, that is a very good strategy. You get "cheaper" gems **and** a discount from retail.

> It's funny how some people rush to convert gems despite the unfavourable exchange rate in order to take advantage of a discount, when they would save more by converting when the exchange rate is more attractive and paying full price for what they want!

That requires doing some math (which many people don't bother to do). Sometimes it's better to wait for the conversion rate to drop; sometimes the discount is still pretty good.

Case in point:

When character slots were on sale a few days ago for 600 gems compared to 800 retail, the cost of converting gems went from ~105-110g per 400 gems if bought in Feburary to 110-125g per 400 that day.

* Best case in February: 210g to buy a character slot.

* Worst case on sale date: 188g to buy a character slot.

So even though the exchange rate spiked, it was still cheaper to buy on the day of the discount.