What is the difference between GW1 and GW2 classes?

kizashi.9527

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a dev back in GW1 that said they expected players to do the single player campaign and then the pvp would keep players after. Like how most FPS are setup. Campaign > pvp

They were surprised how the players would keep doing the campaign over and over. Making their own challenges.

So GW1 was not really “focused” on pvp. PVP was the intended “end game”. But the PVE was way more popular than the expected.

> @"Djahlat.9610" said:

> > @"Jace al Thor.6745" said:

> >

> > It’s still a a good game. Actually playing it now. Working my way through a LDoA and the not dying one that I can’t think of the name

>

> Not dying? Like surviving? I think you may be speaking of Legendary Survivor then :#

>

Yeah that one! For some reason I was thinking it went by a different name lol.

> @"Lance Von Alden.8415" said:

> As far as you guys are talking, I find GW1 kinda boring with what you said. I am a guy that likes to live in the thrill and react to the different stuff happening instead of preparing a lot before a battle. Yes, there are some strategic stuff that you need and can be fun but I leave that for Turn-based Strategy Games, hehe.

well mesmers and rangers are a very reactive playstyle in gw1 where you have to watch the skills people are using and interrupt them

> @"Lance Von Alden.8415" said:

> As far as you guys are talking, I find GW1 kinda boring with what you said. I am a guy that likes to live in the thrill and react to the different stuff happening instead of preparing a lot before a battle. Yes, there are some strategic stuff that you need and can be fun but I leave that for Turn-based Strategy Games, hehe.

I mean you don’t have to do that. GW1 is more the traditional mmo(kind of) in the sense you have healers, support, and dps. There’s nothing stopping you from soloing the entire game. Wooden potatoes has done a let’s play doing exactly that. But when it comes time to do hard mode and certain farms it’s easier with a team.

Oh and if anyone reading this post is wanting to start playing again for HoM titles etc shoot me a message. I’m currently playing to get my LDoA and survivor titles so I’m more than happy to lend a helping hand! I also have a couple characters in other locations so if there’s a pesky mission you need I can help there too.

GW1 was/is amazing.

I poured countless hours into that game from beta until Gw2 beta, grew up playing it.

Such an amazing story and gameplay.

The starting zone and Ascalon is something I still fully remember after 5+ years. Also prince rurik for some reason lol...

> @"Kreslin.6832" said:

> If you want an example, let's see at mesmer in GW1. They, especially if we are talking about pvp, are debufers. They can make you suffer a lot.

>

> For example:

>

> Cry of Frustration:

> "Spell. If target foe is using a skill, that foe and all foes in the area are interrupted and take 15...63...75 damage." (15...63...75 damage - difference between numbers depend on stat current skill requires).

> Such skill is useful against casters like Elementalist, enemy Mesmer, Necro, Monk...

>

> Conjure Phantasm:

> "Hex Spell. For 2...13...16 seconds, target foe experiences -5 Health degeneration."

> This is a "direct" damage from mesmers in GW1 :D Very useful against those, who has high resist against physical damage. Yeah... mesmers in GW1 don't have a direct damage like in GW2.

>

> Diversion:

> "Hex Spell. For 6 seconds, the next time target foe uses a skill, that skill takes an additional 10...47...56 seconds to recharge."

>

> Empathy (PvP):

> "Hex Spell. (5...13...15 seconds.) Target foe takes 15...39...45 damage whenever it attacks."

> This skill is especially dangerous against melee characters. Warriors, assassins... If you auto-attack someone with this "hex" on you, each auto-attack will hurt you. And it will hurt you really bad.

>

> Energy Surge:

> "Elite Spell. Target foe loses 1...8...10 Energy. For each point of Energy lost, that foe and all nearby foes take 9 damage."

> Energy is mana in GW1.

>

> Energy Tap:

> "Spell. Target foe loses 4...6...7 Energy. You gain 2 Energy for each point of Energy lost."

>

> Guilt:

> "Hex Spell. For 6 seconds, the next time target foe casts a spell that targets a foe, the spell fails and you steal up to 5...12...14 Energy from that foe."

>

> As you can see Mesmers in GW1 can disable you in pvp. If you are a warrior with "Empathy" hex on you, you better just stay and do nothing, or die from your own attacks. If you elementalist and you have this hex "Cry of Frustration" or something like this, you will better wait.

>

> You can see a full skill list here: https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/List_of_mesmer_skills

>

> There are all skills for all professions. You can examine them if you like and you might understand what's the difference between classes from GW1 and GW2.

I wanted to use PANIC!!!!! (Good skill btw) but i never had the chance to keep playing mes.

> @"Lily.1935" said:

> I'm not going to lie. I really miss gw1 necromancer. It was leagues better than gw2 necromancer. The closet thing we've got to gw1 necromancer in gw2 is scourge but even that is a shadow of its former glory.

I think most classes in GW1 do better than Gw2. Plus I like the PvE in GW1 a lot better

• 1 month later...

My favorite nostalgia builds:

1. Beta Pain Spammer Ritual Lord - so fun in battle arenas just turtling and watching people charge in and die. Also spaming Union, Shelter and Displacements in 4v4 pretty much makes your team unkillable.

2. SS Necro and 55 Monk duo - me and my brother would go to UW to farm ectos with these builds.

3. Imbagon - remember the original “Save Yourself” and “There’s Nothing to Fear.”

awww memories.

GW1 Mesmer punishes foes for their actions and attacks in unorthodox ways.

Let me explain it in GW2 terms.

One of their elite skills, Energy Surge, dealt massive aoe damage based on what is today equivalent to Endurance.

Another elite skill, Ineptude, which does massive aoe damage and blinds foes if they dare attack. (In GW1, blind was permanent for its duration)

They had a skill, Empathy, which damages foes each time they attack, similar to Confusion today. (The irony is that GW2 fanbase hates Confusion)

The creme de la creme of Mesmer gameplay was a skill called Wastrel's Worry, which does massive aoe damage if foe does not use a skill for 3 seconds.

Mesmer is about forcing your enemies into a corner and crewing them over if they do or they don't. Take the combo of Empathy and Wastrel's Worry for example, either they attack and damage themselves, or they don't attack and damage themselves AND their team mates, so they are screwed either way.

> @"kizashi.9527" said:

> A few days ago I read a post about how GW1 mesmer was different than what we have now in GW2. They mentioned that elementalist didn't have attunements. Can you guys tell me more about it? I don't have the first game yet so it would be enteresting to hear about that. (Sorry if I misspelled something, english isn't my native language.)

Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. They're fundamentally different in nearly every regard.

GW1, you generally couldn't venture out without a team (be it npcs or humans), and you had a max of health generally between 460-520. Your actions were limited by energy (on every class, warrior had a somewhat special mechanic with adrenaline) and cooldowns. Also, almost every skill, even autoattacks, rooted you in place. It was a fundamentally different game.

That said, there are some comparison in terms of the "spirit" of classes:

* Warrior of GW1's playstyle has carried over into warrior of GW2.

* Paragon's shouts have rolled into warrior and guardian of GW2.

* Ranger's style of "Jack of All Trades" has carried over into engineer of GW2.

* Necro minions have carried over into necro of GW2, although the power of minions has greatly decreased.

* Assassin "get in your face" style has carried over into Thief of GW2 and a little bit into revenant.

* Ritualist summoning got split between several classes in GW2, including ranger, engineer, and renegade.

* Monk healing has generally carried over into guardian and druid of GW2.

* Dervish style of boons and melee has carried over into guardian of GW2.

* The spirit of ele from the first game has carried over into Ele of GW2, but with totally different mechanics.

What hasn't carried over:

* Interruption styles of gameplay (there used to be interruption spammers) have not carried over.

* Monk protection style of healing has not carried over.

* Energy drain/attrition style of combat (GW1 Mesmer) has not carried over.

* Body blocking and other tactical means of movement have not carried over.

* Hexes have not carried over into GW2 (a big portion of mesmer and necro's gameplay in GW1)

* Combat modes like GvG and HoH have not carried over, fundamentally changing what metas look like in either game.

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> From what you guys say, GW1 seems a lot better, tactical and interesting then GW2 currently is.

>

> It's making me want to get it from Steam since it's like $30 for GW1, Factions and Nightfall.

I wouldn't. It's basically dead except for bots keeping the economy somewhat afloat. Much of what has been described could only really be experienced with sufficient #'s of players.

> @"DragonSlayer.1087" said:

> My favorite nostalgia builds:

> 1. Beta Pain Spammer Ritual Lord - so fun in battle arenas just turtling and watching people charge in and die. Also spaming Union, Shelter and Displacements in 4v4 pretty much makes your team unkillable.

> 2. SS Necro and 55 Monk duo - me and my brother would go to UW to farm ectos with these builds.

> 3. Imbagon - remember the original “Save Yourself” and “There’s Nothing to Fear.”

>

> awww memories.

Don't forget MoP necros, Batteries, 600 monk, Panic! Mesmer, Discord way, Ritualist minion bomber, Splinter ranger, 100b warrior, VoW Dervish, Shadow form assassin, destructive urn ritualist, Rabbit thumper, Suicide necromancer(dead build), fragility Mesmer, SB Ele nuke, Mindfreeze ele, Aftershock warrior?(some weird w/e build using shock and aftershock to stunlock foes with earth magic and a hammer.), Resto Necro, Order of Vampirism(dead build), and a few others.

> @"Lily.1935" said:

> Don't forget MoP necros, Batteries, 600 monk, Panic! Mesmer, Discord way, Ritualist minion bomber, Splinter ranger, 100b warrior, VoW Dervish, Shadow form assassin, destructive urn ritualist, Rabbit thumper, Suicide necromancer(dead build), fragility Mesmer, SB Ele nuke, Mindfreeze ele, Aftershock warrior?(some weird w/e build using shock and aftershock to stunlock foes with earth magic and a hammer.), Resto Necro, Order of Vampirism(dead build), and a few others.

Ikr!? GW1 was such a different feel. You get to be very creative with builds and it's not just about numbers. Fragility Mesmer (Virulence) was the S*** before it was nerfed.

> @"Azoqu.8917" said:

> And when looking at those damage values, remember that in GW1 at max level you had 480 health with maybe upwards of 600 max if you went all in for gear.

And there is 0 reason for it to be any larger in GW2, other than "lol big numbers r funz".

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> Can you imagine what a panic mesmer could do in wvw zerg fight ?

And edge of extinction? It would be hilarious on wvw.

Loved those pesky troll rangers on FA and AB.

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > @"Azoqu.8917" said:

> > And when looking at those damage values, remember that in GW1 at max level you had 480 health with maybe upwards of 600 max if you went all in for gear.

>

> And there is 0 reason for it to be any larger in GW2, other than "lol big numbers r funz".

I remember ANet saying the reason for larger numbers were that's easier to balance.

But then you notice the balance of gw2...