Bought Game in 2012 -- Want Reduced Prices on Expansions

> @"Scolix.4879" said:

> I don't understood this you bought the game 5 or 6 years ago and you are complaining about 60 bucks during that time you should have made that money back many times over by doing even the most minimum amount of work.

Or you can look at it that a typical sub is, what, call it 10 USD/month. So, call it 60 months if OP is closer to 5 years.

You owe anet 540$ OP!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Scolix.4879" said:

> > I don't understood this you bought the game 5 or 6 years ago and you are complaining about 60 bucks during that time you should have made that money back many times over by doing even the most minimum amount of work.

>

> Or you can look at it that a typical sub is, what, call it 10 USD/month. So, call it 60 months if OP is closer to 5 years.

>

> You owe anet 540$ OP!

horrible logic. Theres a reason why some players deliberately stay away from sub games, because it gets expensive and you dont get value in long run. It would put GW2 in a category of mmorpg that sells the base game/ has micro transaction/has paid for expansions and further requires sub and not a lot of games do that. PoE and diablo are games that require online but doesnt require subs. PoE also has free expansions. BDO has free expansions but micro transaction. FPS use either private servers free servers but players dont directly pay subs.

I also dont get why HoT expansion cost MORE than the base game, maybe it shouldve only been that way for players that wanted the bundled base game rather than across the board.

> @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Scolix.4879" said:

> > > I don't understood this you bought the game 5 or 6 years ago and you are complaining about 60 bucks during that time you should have made that money back many times over by doing even the most minimum amount of work.

> >

> > Or you can look at it that a typical sub is, what, call it 10 USD/month. So, call it 60 months if OP is closer to 5 years.

> >

> > You owe anet 540$ OP!

>

> I also dont get why HoT expansion cost MORE than the base game, maybe it shouldve only been that way for players that wanted the bundled base game rather than across the board.

>

The core game released at $60 while HoT released at $50. The HoT price was typical for expansions. The value gained per dollar on expansions is very rarely ever close to that of core game purchases. At the time of HoT release, the core game was free with restrictions.

It’s pretty common practice for companies to offer deals towards a specific customer segment. In this case: new customers. They offer these deals to entice new customers. For MMO’s, this is very important as they tend to lose active players over time.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> The core game released at $60 while HoT released at $50. The HoT price was typical for expansions. The value gained per dollar on expansions is very rarely ever close to that of core game purchases. At the time of HoT release, the core game was free with restrictions.

>

> It’s pretty common practice for companies to offer deals towards a specific customer segment. In this case: new customers. They offer these deals to entice new customers. For MMO’s, this is very important as they tend to lose active players over time.

I paid $40 for the base game (in Au too which usually cost more than US) and ~$16 for HoT, both for the same keys seller I think (I have to check) but Hot when released was more expensive for me than the base game PoF cost me ~$32. HoT cost way too much compared to the price of the base game but still was significantly cheaper than if I got them directly from Anet. Also technically it seems base game got a free "version" with restrictions 1 month before HoT release but IF you paid for HoT you lifted the restrictions namely the 2 char slots restrictions which would be upped to 5.

IT would work out better for everyone imo if the players who paid for the base game got enough slots to use all professions,9 ; those who just bought expansions 5; and free to players 2 then that would be enticing enough to buy the next upgrade up from where they are at. Char slots become more valuable the longer you play the game.

Also you think game developers would not rip of early players/long time players for the sake of attracting new players.

> @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Scolix.4879" said:

> > > I don't understood this you bought the game 5 or 6 years ago and you are complaining about 60 bucks during that time you should have made that money back many times over by doing even the most minimum amount of work.

> >

> > Or you can look at it that a typical sub is, what, call it 10 USD/month. So, call it 60 months if OP is closer to 5 years.

> >

> > You owe anet 540$ OP!

>

> horrible logic. Theres a reason why some players deliberately stay away from sub games, because it gets expensive and you dont get value in long run. It would put GW2 in a category of mmorpg that sells the base game/ has micro transaction/has paid for expansions and further requires sub and not a lot of games do that. PoE and diablo are games that require online but doesnt require subs. PoE also has free expansions. BDO has free expansions but micro transaction. FPS use either private servers free servers but players dont directly pay subs.

>

> I also dont get why HoT expansion cost MORE than the base game, maybe it shouldve only been that way for players that wanted the bundled base game rather than across the board.

>

That was many players argument at the time of the forum anger over HoT.

The price for the expansion cost more than the Core game but gave the core game for free to new players.. basically veterans were being asked to subsidise the core game for new players and that did stink an awful lot.. ANET would of should of separated the bundles or reduced the deal for existing players.

That said, I look at the cost over time and it still works out very good value for me.. add to that they came back and offered an additional toon slot which if you consider the cost in gems/money for it.. that wasn't to bad a concession on ANETS part.

Over time the value of the core game will drop that is understandable and in doing so it becomes a useful feature when marketing out expansions to try and hook new players, which is absolutely necessary for the game to keep chugging along.. every game looses players over time and every game needs to try and slow that by filling as many gaps as possible... but hopefully they learnt a valuable lesson after HoT.

> @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> > The core game released at $60 while HoT released at $50. The HoT price was typical for expansions. The value gained per dollar on expansions is very rarely ever close to that of core game purchases. At the time of HoT release, the core game was free with restrictions.

> >

> > It’s pretty common practice for companies to offer deals towards a specific customer segment. In this case: new customers. They offer these deals to entice new customers. For MMO’s, this is very important as they tend to lose active players over time.

>

> I paid $40 for the base game (in Au too which usually cost more than US) and ~$16 for HoT, both for the same keys seller I think (I have to check) but Hot when released was more expensive for me than the base game PoF cost me ~$32. HoT cost way too much compared to the price of the base game but still was significantly cheaper than if I got them directly from Anet. Also technically it seems base game got a free "version" with restrictions 1 month before HoT release but IF you paid for HoT you lifted the restrictions namely the 2 char slots restrictions which would be upped to 5.

>

> IT would work out better for everyone imo if the players who paid for the base game got enough slots to use all professions,9 ; those who just bought expansions 5; and free to players 2 then that would be enticing enough to buy the next upgrade up from where they are at. Char slots become more valuable the longer you play the game.

>

> Also you think game developers would not rip of early players/long time players for the sake of attracting new players.

>

>

The cost of games decreases over time. Anet was selling the core game for $10 one weekend. Should HoT have cost more than $10 for me if I had bought the core game for $10? On the flip side, if I bought the core game at $60, and HoT at $20, I’m getting a great deal. Or I could have bought both for $20 each. It’s a bit misleading to compare the prices of two products at different periods of their typical lifecycles.

> @"Deimos.4263" said:

> Whoa whoa whoa. If they're gonna start giving out discounts or extras based on how much money we've forked over for various things....Anet, you owe me some kind of super unicorn mount skin that shoots bees out of its mouth. And I get to ride it in WvW.

How much is that, because I want one???

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> The cost of games decreases over time. Anet was selling the core game for $10 one weekend. Should HoT have cost more than $10 for me if I had bought the core game for $10? On the flip side, if I bought the core game at $60, and HoT at $20, I’m getting a great deal. Or I could have bought both for $20 each. It’s a bit misleading to compare the prices of two products at different periods of their typical lifecycles.

Im not comparing the prices at different points of lifecycle just stating how much I paid for it (not $60 vs $50) cause I didnt pay rrp for any of them (I dont pay rrp for any game actually). I got them all through a 3rd party website and the base game/pof was bought at launch, I also played the beta and I got HoT a month before PoF was released. I dont recall the exact price of Hot at launch through the website, but for me it was more than 40$ which is one of the reasons I didnt get it. I think its acceptable to compare the **launch** price of the expansion versus the base game to see the value each offers but yeah I dont take note of rrp because I thought it would be relatively reflected in what I paid anyways.

im playing this game since first release date. This game was for nearly 3 years in a beta state. Half baked. Nothing worked. Alot of bugs. After Hot it got better. With POF it is great now. U abounded this game. Come back after it is great now. And ask for a discount.

We supported this game for nearly 5 years. And now u are asking for a discount cause WE made this game to the game it is now. We had alot of argues and fights with ANET. Where were u at thouse times. We fought our ways through the bugs and bad gamemechanics, where were u. Now the game works like it should have worked on first release day.

Sry u dont have my pleasure.

<-bought the game on release, but played only a week (in short order, we had twins, I switched jobs, and we moved cross-country). Just back this month. Glad to be back, having a ton of fun.

I have no problem at all with the pricing and no complaints about what I paid. Games generally become cheaper with time.

• ArenaNet Staff

The OP's question has been answered -- and well -- many, many times. As they have said, the benefit of buying early is being able to play early, to participate in content that no longer exists, to enjoy years of in-game festivals, events, and evolutionary changes.

This topic is closed.