Are elite specializations broken IRT their implied weapons?

Having recently returned to the game after a VERY long hiatus, I did what I'm sure many people do; researched builds for my classes.

One of the interesting things I noticed as I began to level them up; gain their elite specializations and search for builds and rotations was how few of them use the weapons associated with their elite spec.

Now I understand that META builds and optimum builds are not "required" but from a playing the character efficiently it seems like this is broken if a weapon designed for a new spec; isn't the best weapon for that spec.

Just tossing this out for discussion from my more experienced peers to get their take.

Elite spec weapons aren't really different from any other weapon - Just because you can use them does not mean they will be the best for **_your_** build.

I main engineer, holosmith, and have never used sword. Because I do not play a power build right now.

I personally don't see this as a design flaw, as the intent was to create new options for a class, new ways to play.

If pvp and wvw are included. Most elite weapons are widely used across many build.

Berserker torch, spellbreaker dagger, dh longbow, fb axe, herald shield, druid staff, DD staff, deadeye rifle, scrapper hammer, holo sword, chrono shield, mirage axe, weaver sword, scourge torch are very common in wvw.

Where only renegade shortbow, soulbeast dagger, tempest warhorn, reaper greatsword are rarely used.

> @"Khai.6435" said:

> from a playing the character efficiently it seems like this is broken if a weapon designed for a new spec; isn't the best weapon for that spec.

What do you mean by "best"? The "meta" builds are largely designed around getting optimum damage under the best circumstances of team comp, and foe AI cooperation. The specializations are designed to be interesting, useful, and/or fun in a variety of situations. Plus, there's almost no way ANet can think of all the clever ways that we, as a community, can abuse skills.

So while the weapon made available with the specialization might not always suit a new use, it's nearly always been something that at least has a decent niche use.