new chapter: "this is not your active story. Any progress made in this instance will not be saved."

Does anyone else keep getting this? I was ok in the first instance then I started to get it every time and at least one other person in my party got it as well. Oddly, this was my first playthough but was never prompted to proceed. Yes, chapter 2 is selected in my hero pannel and the story text acted like everything was ok,

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey Menadena,

You might have you and your friends make sure they are all on the same story step / objective. This includes if the story says to talk to an NPC in the open world and then you are prompted to go into a story instance. Story steps for chapters in the open world cannot be shared progress wise. And everyone in the party will need to do that open world story step before accepting the prompt to enter the instance for you all to see progress together.

If you've all coordinated together and verified you're on the same step - can you respond with:

* Which story you are on that progress wasn't being allowed on?

* How many people are in your group?

Thanks!

I got this as well when I jumped off the platform, the "chapter finished" box popped up *briefly* then I was automatically taken to the next instance (where the previous "chapter finished" box with rewards popped up again) and I also got the message about not being on the story. I suspect that when one story step takes you right into the next one, the flags aren't being properly set in the correct sequence.

> @"Dara Potocska.8196" said:

> Thanks friends! Another question for you all then!

>

> When you entered the new instance and saw this message, had you accepted the previous chapter's rewards before or after the transfer to the new story instance?

I got this message at the beginning of the 2nd and 3rd missions. It didn't stop me from getting credit for both. To answer your question I had accepted the previous chapter's reward on the second mission before I transferred in, and I think on the third mission too.

Edited to add: I did all missions solo so it had nothing to do with being in a party

> When you entered the new instance and saw this message, had you accepted the previous chapter's rewards before or after the transfer to the new story instance?

I accepted the rewards after going to the next story instance

It's probably not limited to just this episode, as I was playing Precocious Aurene of A Crack in the Ice to get a couple characters to Bitterfrost with someone just a week or 2 ago, and received that message. It occurred going from to the final part with the 'boss' fight of that instance. I had already accepted to continue the story before the transition.

I got that message, playing solo, on one of the chapters. I believe it was chapter 2, but I'm not sure. I ignored it, and everything has been ok...as far as I can tell.

I accepted all rewards in the instance they belonged to, except for the time I was disconnected right at the end of one. The shield and rewards flashed up for a moment, the Desert Highlands loading screen came up....and stalled. I had to use the Task Manager to close the game. When re-entering, I, again, was presented with the shield and rewards. This was not the time I received the message; pretty sure it was before that.

> Hey Menadena,

>

> You might have you and your friends make sure they are all on the same story step / objective. This includes if the story says to talk to an NPC in the open world and then you are prompted to go into a story instance. Story steps for chapters in the open world cannot be shared progress wise. And everyone in the party will need to do that open world story step before accepting the prompt to enter the instance for you all to see progress together.

>

> If you've all coordinated together and verified you're on the same step - can you respond with:

>

> * Which story you are on that progress wasn't being allowed on?

> * How many people are in your group?

>

> Thanks!

Unfortunately I do not have their names any more to ask, it was just a LFG group. I started the chapter and they joined me so have no idea who, if anyone, was at another step, sorry!

The first instance (inside the inquest lab) I was fine on but got the warnings on every instance after that until we got to the open world in the new zone (where we decided to take a break). The green text in the upper right of the screen always said what to do next and I was getting my completion rewards so does this mean I need to redo the start of the chapter because of something I had no control over?

>

I had that message pop up when going into chapters 2 and 3. I was unable to accept the previous chapter's rewards before the transfer to the new story instance, because I was whisked there as soon as the rewards splash screen popped up.

This is kind of an addition to this problem, while replaying the story again from the beginning on the same character you don't get the pop up rewards at all after the first instance. So you finish the first step, get nothing, go into the next instance and it tells you that it's not your currently active story mission. You have to quit out to the open world to receive the first mission's loot in order to continue with the next step.

> @"Shailyn Slay.7234" said:

> I've seen this message pop up as well, when I played the first 3 instances yesterday (for the first time). I think I got all rewards, though I likely accepted some of them in the following instance.

Yeah, I *think* I got all the rewards but since I only looked at my inventory after they may just have all been from the first instance.

>

In some chapters (like the first two ones), there's not enough time to accept the reward since you're instantly put in the next story instance.

• 5 months later...

So is this going to be fixed this year? August, and still have the problem half the time I try doing some of the story. Also when I try to log into here I get this msg and have to go back a few pages then refresh page in order to log in. "Permission Problem

Invalid Session." BTW ty for finally fixing the flashing screen issue.