Make an Option to switch forums background color from white to black

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> In relation to switching the forums from white to black, that would require a substantial amount of work, and it's not something that we are planning. We saw the same request when the original forums launched, but they seemed to do ok with the one iteration, and we're intending to stay with that for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure how much substantial work this would require considering if I toggle the reply area to full page there is a itty bitty icon to toggle the lights which does turn the background from white to black. So it is already there, can't it be turned "on" for the entire forum?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> In relation to switching the forums from white to black, that would require a substantial amount of work, and it's not something that we are planning. We saw the same request when the original forums launched, but they seemed to do ok with the one iteration, and we're intending to stay with that for the foreseeable future.

This quote made me laugh so hard. It's very simple thing to change a css to edit the font and background color which even most basic user editing html should know while yes it's a little harder to create a method for users to select which style .css they like to use it's not that hard to do.

A night mode would still be appreciated. I use a darker layout for nearly every page I regularly visit, either through an integrated option or through a user style I can apply to the page, because bright backgrounds are hard on my eyes. I'm quite certain I'm not the only one with this issue, and, as you noted, this isn't a new issue that's suddenly been brought up, but one that's been brought up since the launch of the original forum - a long standing suggestion. One I would have hoped anyone building a new forum would have made note of, given the option to use dark backgrounds through built in means, or outside add-ons is something you see for most popular sites, even youtube recently build in a dark mode - at a base - because such user styles were so popular amongst their user base.

> About uploading personal avatars: That is something we are not planning to implement, as (1) we cannot host images here for security purposes and (2) allowing the linking to off-site images can create... er... problems when the images are self-chosen but, perhaps, not self-moderated. That's my attempt at putting things subtly, but do you get what I'm saying there? The ability to link to images on third-party sites can lead to poor choices, like Balthazar in a bubble bath, dogs and cats living together, Faren in a speedo... oh wait... ;)

>

> Anyway, to keep things on an even keel, we're going to host avatars, but we'll definitely look into expanding the choices in the future!!

I understand what you are saying however at the same time it's really no different then someone writing an offensive post you simply delete the image and ban the user uploading offensive images or revoke their right to upload new images. It's not any different really than people using the img tag within forums.

> About uploading personal avatars: That is something we are not planning to implement, as (1) we cannot host images here for security purposes and (2) allowing the linking to off-site images can create... er... problems when the images are self-chosen but, perhaps, not self-moderated. That's my attempt at putting things subtly, but do you get what I'm saying there? The ability to link to images on third-party sites can lead to poor choices, like Balthazar in a bubble bath, dogs and cats living together, Faren in a speedo... oh wait... ;)

>

> Anyway, to keep things on an even keel, we're going to host avatars, but we'll definitely look into expanding the choices in the future!!

Would it be possible to do what World of Warcraft does, and link our characters to the forum account, so we can choose from portraits of our own characters for our avatar? Just a thought.

>

maybe it's something a bit hard or not possible , but it will be very cool to have a way to set as avatar our character face

I had two problems with Night Mode Pro for Chrome.

1) It changes pictures so that flesh tones look pale blue, as well as altering other graphic colors.

2) While I could live with adding sites I did not want to be in Night Mode to the White List, the option to add a site to the White List did not always work.

Overall, NMP seems inferior to the addon for Firefox, but I don't care for Firefox for other performance reasons. Has anyone else had problems with NMP or know of any solutions?

Hi Indigo,

I posted this yesterday in another thread, but yes. For Chrome, you can use the Stylebot plugin. The settings below, in the spoiler, are those I am now using for this site. You should be able to import them and adjust to suit your tastes.

>! {"*":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{}},"en-forum.guildwars2.com":{"_enabled":true,"_rules":{"#welcome-block":{"background-color":"#022"},"#welcome-block h1":{"padding-left":"8px"},"#welcome-copy":{"padding-left":"8px"},"a.BestOf":{"color":"#bbb"},"a.Selected":{"color":"#bbb"},"a.Tag.tag-tracker.tag-arenanet-tracker":{"padding":"5px"},"a.TaggedArenanet":{"color":"#bbb"},"a.Title":{"border-color":"#ffffff","color":"#adc2c2","font-size":"18px"},"a.UserLink.BlockTitle":{"color":"#aaa"},"blockquote.UserQuote":{"background-color":"#033"},"div.Box.BadgeGrid h2":{"color":"#add","font-size":"18px"},"div.Container-top":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Content-art.Content-art--left":{"display":"none"},"div.Content-art.Content-art--right":{"background-color":"#022","display":"none"},"div.ContentWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderBottomWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderNavDiv":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.HeaderTopWrap":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.MainContent":{"background-color":"#022"},"div.Message h1":{"color":"#ddd"},"div.Message p":{"color":"#aaa"},"div.PageTitle h1":{"color":"#9bb"},"div.PromotedContent h4":{"color":"#cab"},"div.Wrap":{"border-color":"#ffffff"},"div.Wrap h3 a":{"color":"#abc"},"div.editor-help-text":{"color":"#aaa"},"h1.H":{"color":"#add","font-size":"20px"},"h1.H.HomepageTitle":{"color":"#abb"},"h2.H":{"color":"#acb"},"img.ProfilePhoto.ProfilePhotoMedium":{"height":"50px","width":"50px"},"img.ProfilePhoto.ProfilePhotoSmall":{"border-bottom-width":"1px","border-color":"#28373d","border-left-width":"1px","border-right-width":"1px","border-style":"solid","border-top-width":"1px","height":"32px","width":"32px"},"span.MiniPager a":{"font-size":"15px"},"span.Number":{"color":"#abc"},"span.Tag.Tag-Announcement":{"padding":"5px"},"span.Tag.Tag-Closed":{"padding":"5px"},"span.Tag.Tag-Poll":{"padding":"5px"},"td.BigCount.CountComments":{"border-bottom-width":"1px","border-color":"#806180","border-style":"groove"},"td.BigCount.CountViews":{"border-bottom-width":"1px","border-color":"#806180","border-style":"groove"},"td.BlockColumn.BlockColumn-User.FirstUser":{"border-bottom-width":"1px","border-color":"#806180","border-style":"groove"},"td.BlockColumn.BlockColumn-User.LastUser":{"border-bottom-width":"1px","border-color":"#806180","border-style":"groove"},"td.BlockColumn.LatestPost":{"border-bottom-width":"1px","border-color":"#806180","border-style":"groove"},"td.DiscussionName":{"border-bottom-width":"1px","border-color":"#806180","border-style":"groove","margin-top":"0","padding-top":"0"},"ul.HeaderNav":{"background-color":"#022"},"ul.HeaderNav li a":{"font-color":"bbb"}}}}

This is just a terrible response. Not only is it saying "because the community put up with our BS the last time, they can put up with it now," it's also saying "we didn't care to take our community's feedback into consideration when designing the new forums."

The old Forum had enough color to be pleasant. This has too many greys and way less red. It is really not as _easy to read_ as it was promoted.

I can't really believe such a modern and actually common feature nowadays has been forgotten

> @Lambent.6375 said:

> Is the op in jail? This seems like vinalla foums, I remember they had that feature, lol.

Yes I am actually ... wow someone noticed.

Apparently i violated some terms 3 times granting me 3 days of restricted forum use.

Imo its a really decent system, just in my case it didnt reaally make sense.

1 day for reposting, 2 days for reporting a comment that "insulted" me twice :/

• ArenaNet Staff

For feedback, please post in [our feedback thread](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/269), so that we can see the full flow of comments, input, concerns, etc.

If one piece of your feedback is that the feedback thread needs to be moved here to GW2 Discussion, you can share that. In that thread, please. :)

Archived