Will the GeForce gtx 1050 ti be enough?

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > > @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > > Afaik, all the playerrelated stuff is handled by the cpu, so it would make sense that u can get 40fps with the integrated GPU...

> > >

> >

> > but a GPU is still better. All I'm saying @ integrated graphics, the game is still playable.

>

> He is saying that the quality of the GPU does not matter as much since the main bottleneck for this game is and will be the CPU.

when i play on my GPU, there is a massive difference. i get 90 fps on wvw roaming and as i've said, 40 fps wvw roaming on integrated graphics.

so what i say still stands. a stand alone GPU is still better than integrated graphics. but that does not mean that integrated graphics is bad. it can still run a playable GW2. Depends if you're hungry for more FPS or you just play because you're lazy plugging a wire.

> @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > > > @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > > > Afaik, all the playerrelated stuff is handled by the cpu, so it would make sense that u can get 40fps with the integrated GPU...

> > > >

> > >

> > > but a GPU is still better. All I'm saying @ integrated graphics, the game is still playable.

> >

> > He is saying that the quality of the GPU does not matter as much since the main bottleneck for this game is and will be the CPU.

>

> when i play on my GPU, there is a massive difference. i get 90 fps on wvw roaming and as i've said, 40 fps wvw roaming on integrated graphics.

>

> so what i say still stands. a stand alone GPU is still better than integrated graphics. but that does not mean that integrated graphics is bad. it can still run a playable GW2. Depends if you're hungry for more FPS or you just play because you're lazy plugging a wire.

>

>

Integrated graphics card means the CPU takes over duties of the otherwise outsourced GPU.

Obviously throttling your CPU will have a tremendous performance effect on a game which is very CPU heavy.

That does not change the fact that GW2 is very CPU heavy versus GPU heavy. A less powerful GPU will not have that big an effect.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > > > > @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > > > > Afaik, all the playerrelated stuff is handled by the cpu, so it would make sense that u can get 40fps with the integrated GPU...

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > but a GPU is still better. All I'm saying @ integrated graphics, the game is still playable.

> > >

> > > He is saying that the quality of the GPU does not matter as much since the main bottleneck for this game is and will be the CPU.

> >

> > when i play on my GPU, there is a massive difference. i get 90 fps on wvw roaming and as i've said, 40 fps wvw roaming on integrated graphics.

> >

> > so what i say still stands. a stand alone GPU is still better than integrated graphics. but that does not mean that integrated graphics is bad. it can still run a playable GW2. Depends if you're hungry for more FPS or you just play because you're lazy plugging a wire.

> >

> >

>

> Integrated graphics card means the CPU takes over duties of the otherwise outsourced GPU.

>

> Obviously throttling your CPU will have a tremendous performance effect on a game which is very CPU heavy.

>

> That does not change the fact that GW2 is very CPU heavy versus GPU heavy. A less powerful GPU will not have that big an effect.

k. i dare you to remove all of your graphics cards (standalone and integrated) and run GW2 and let's see if GW2 runs.

> > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > > > > > @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > > > > > Afaik, all the playerrelated stuff is handled by the cpu, so it would make sense that u can get 40fps with the integrated GPU...

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > but a GPU is still better. All I'm saying @ integrated graphics, the game is still playable.

> > > >

> > > > He is saying that the quality of the GPU does not matter as much since the main bottleneck for this game is and will be the CPU.

> > >

> > > when i play on my GPU, there is a massive difference. i get 90 fps on wvw roaming and as i've said, 40 fps wvw roaming on integrated graphics.

> > >

> > > so what i say still stands. a stand alone GPU is still better than integrated graphics. but that does not mean that integrated graphics is bad. it can still run a playable GW2. Depends if you're hungry for more FPS or you just play because you're lazy plugging a wire.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Integrated graphics card means the CPU takes over duties of the otherwise outsourced GPU.

> >

> > Obviously throttling your CPU will have a tremendous performance effect on a game which is very CPU heavy.

> >

> > That does not change the fact that GW2 is very CPU heavy versus GPU heavy. A less powerful GPU will not have that big an effect.

>

> k. i dare you to remove all of your graphics cards (standalone and integrated) and run GW2 and let's see if GW2 runs.

Yes because that's how you show were the bottleneck in performance is...

Read what I wrote:

The GPU is not of major significance.

Notice that is not the same as:

The GPU is not required.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > > > > > > @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > > > > > > Afaik, all the playerrelated stuff is handled by the cpu, so it would make sense that u can get 40fps with the integrated GPU...

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > but a GPU is still better. All I'm saying @ integrated graphics, the game is still playable.

> > > > >

> > > > > He is saying that the quality of the GPU does not matter as much since the main bottleneck for this game is and will be the CPU.

> > > >

> > > > when i play on my GPU, there is a massive difference. i get 90 fps on wvw roaming and as i've said, 40 fps wvw roaming on integrated graphics.

> > > >

> > > > so what i say still stands. a stand alone GPU is still better than integrated graphics. but that does not mean that integrated graphics is bad. it can still run a playable GW2. Depends if you're hungry for more FPS or you just play because you're lazy plugging a wire.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Integrated graphics card means the CPU takes over duties of the otherwise outsourced GPU.

> > >

> > > Obviously throttling your CPU will have a tremendous performance effect on a game which is very CPU heavy.

> > >

> > > That does not change the fact that GW2 is very CPU heavy versus GPU heavy. A less powerful GPU will not have that big an effect.

> >

> > k. i dare you to remove all of your graphics cards (standalone and integrated) and run GW2 and let's see if GW2 runs.

>

> Yes because that's how you show were the bottleneck in performance is...

>

> Read what I wrote:

> The GPU is not of major significance.

>

> Notice that is not the same as:

> The GPU is not required.

not a major significance = can be thrown away.

so yeah, what's the purpose of a standalone GPU? Add 2 FPS?

lel.

> > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > > > > > > > @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > > > > > > > Afaik, all the playerrelated stuff is handled by the cpu, so it would make sense that u can get 40fps with the integrated GPU...

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > but a GPU is still better. All I'm saying @ integrated graphics, the game is still playable.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He is saying that the quality of the GPU does not matter as much since the main bottleneck for this game is and will be the CPU.

> > > > >

> > > > > when i play on my GPU, there is a massive difference. i get 90 fps on wvw roaming and as i've said, 40 fps wvw roaming on integrated graphics.

> > > > >

> > > > > so what i say still stands. a stand alone GPU is still better than integrated graphics. but that does not mean that integrated graphics is bad. it can still run a playable GW2. Depends if you're hungry for more FPS or you just play because you're lazy plugging a wire.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Integrated graphics card means the CPU takes over duties of the otherwise outsourced GPU.

> > > >

> > > > Obviously throttling your CPU will have a tremendous performance effect on a game which is very CPU heavy.

> > > >

> > > > That does not change the fact that GW2 is very CPU heavy versus GPU heavy. A less powerful GPU will not have that big an effect.

> > >

> > > k. i dare you to remove all of your graphics cards (standalone and integrated) and run GW2 and let's see if GW2 runs.

> >

> > Yes because that's how you show were the bottleneck in performance is...

> >

> > Read what I wrote:

> > The GPU is not of major significance.

> >

> > Notice that is not the same as:

> > The GPU is not required.

>

> not a major significance = can be thrown away.

>

> so yeah, what's the purpose of a standalone GPU? Add 2 FPS?

>

> lel.

Here is some food for thought:

1. you are responding to an almost 1 year old thread and the price of the desired graphics card is of no major issue now

2. GW2 is very well known for its CPU heavy demand. If you are unaware of this, read up on the game

3. Making up arguments and nonsense like stating that differences in meaning and expression do not matter do not make your position any stronger

4. the purpose of a standalone GPU was never called into question. The necessity for how powerful this GPU needs to be specifically for GW2 was. Those are two very different things. I'm sorry if you can not see this.

I played this game on a 580, I am sure a 1050ti will play it. Also your CPU is more than enough and this game is CPU dependant. Mess with the character limit settings and you will run the game just fine. I have 2700x/1080ti and I also mess with the character settings because even with an OC'd CPU and high end GPU, this game runs like poopoo when there are 20+ people on screen. Even the dude up above with the OC'd 8700K will tell you the same, and he has better single core speeds than me.

I would say however for general gaming. Not knowing your budget, if you are on a tight one, maybe look about to see if there are any 970 or 980's laying around if you can't stretch to a 1070, as a good 970 or 980 is in some cases better than a 1050 or even 1060 with the 980. I just changed up from a 970 and honestly my new rigs overkill for GW2 and a 970 still runs any game out there mid to high settings depending on frame rate taste, if I only played this game I wouldn't of moved up at all. But if you can stretch to a 1060 or 1070 go for it. Alternatively look at the RX 580 or Vega 56, competitive with the mid nvidia cards and well priced.

> @"Bish.8627" said:

> I played this game on a 580, I am sure a 1050ti will play it. Also your CPU is more than enough and this game is CPU dependant. Mess with the character limit settings and you will run the game just fine. I have 2700x/1080ti and I also mess with the character settings because even with an OC'd CPU and high end GPU, this game runs like poopoo when there are 20+ people on screen. Even the dude up above with the OC'd 8700K will tell you the same, and he has better single core speeds than me.

>

> I would say however for general gaming. Not knowing your budget, if you are on a tight one, maybe look about to see if there are any 970 or 980's laying around if you can't stretch to a 1070, as a good 970 or 980 is in some cases better than a 1050 or even 1060 with the 980. I just changed up from a 970 and honestly my new rigs overkill for GW2 and a 970 still runs any game out there mid to high settings depending on frame rate taste, if I only played this game I wouldn't of moved up at all. But if you can stretch to a 1060 or 1070 go for it. Alternatively look at the RX 580 or Vega 56, competitive with the mid nvidia cards and well priced.

Pretty much. I moved from a 1060->2080 and there is little difference. GW2 runs "ok" on low end and "slightly better than ok" on high end. I already knew that before though, didnt exactly buy it for GW2.

That said I disagree with the last point as of these last weeks. Right now the Vega 56 is a really meh buy because a decent AIB dual fan board will cost more than a good 1070Ti. If GW2 is pretty much the only game played and others have no priority... wait until next year. *If* Navi is as cheap as they say it is, it will be priced like a 1060 with performance exceeding the 1080. *If* it's that cheap, which I personally question as it makes zero financial sense (they could price it $100 higher and still completely knock out Nvidia in price/performance while making a bucketload more in the margins). But still, unless you're looking at a high end RTX just because they are new (which people on a budget wont) then buying a card at all today is poor timing. Old cards arent getting any cheaper either without competition.

Also I wish Anet would just limit thread necroing, sigh...

The graphics card can only do so much. Most of the demand for the game when it comes to needing to draw things is forced on the CPU. The GPU will handle detail, texture quality, postprocessing and FXAA and SMAA, which is further enhanced with programs such as ReShade. The CPU handles model count, terrain complexity, projectile directions and other minor things (the detail and quality are handled by the GPU). You can have the best GPU standing but still face some bottlenecks because the CPU can't handle the oomph the game throws at you. $0.02>

your claims, that GW2 is CPU centric, can be explained that probably A.NET foresaw the rise of Twitch.tv and streaming. That the "bottlenecks" of the GPU is really used for "Graphical Game Capture" and "Graphical Broadcasting" on the net, which is GPU intensive.

But yea, still. Intel integrated Graphics = 40 fps (clean). My Nvidia Card = 90+ fps (clean). on the same map.

Either those, or both.

> @"gimo.3281" said:

> your claims, that GW2 is CPU centric, can be explained that probably A.NET foresaw the rise of Twitch.tv and streaming. That the "bottlenecks" of the GPU is really used for "Graphical Game Capture" and "Graphical Broadcasting" on the net, which is GPU intensive.

That... is just word sallad.

Simply put, GW2 is heavily singlethreaded, while the graphics doesnt really demand that much today. The base engine dates all the way back to around 2002-ish I guess (GW1 released 2005). I think its a fantastic engine thats kept up well as it was modified for GW2, but it still suffers in this area. In comparison its interesting to see the gains in WoW with its DX12 multithread patch. I did not expect that (DX12 is usually a performance loss due to meh implementations).

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"gimo.3281" said:

> > your claims, that GW2 is CPU centric, can be explained that probably A.NET foresaw the rise of Twitch.tv and streaming. That the "bottlenecks" of the GPU is really used for "Graphical Game Capture" and "Graphical Broadcasting" on the net, which is GPU intensive.

> That... is just word sallad.

>

> Simply put, GW2 is heavily singlethreaded, while the graphics doesnt really demand that much today. The base engine dates all the way back to around 2002-ish I guess (GW1 released 2005). I think its a fantastic engine thats kept up well as it was modified for GW2, but it still suffers in this area. In comparison its interesting to see the gains in WoW with its DX12 multithread patch. I did not expect that (DX12 is usually a performance loss due to meh implementations).

WoW gains heavily from DX12 because WoW's CPU load is almost entirely from draw calls which are performed by the graphics API. Older graphics APIs run all of their draw calls in a single thread, DX12 natively multithreads draw calls. GW2 would also see benefit, as draw calls are what are causing the bottleneck here as well.