Connection Error

Hello everyone!

I've been connecting to guild wars until now using WTFast. Since I'm rarely playing anymore, I've unsubscribed and therefore I'm not using it anymore. The probolem is, now when I'm trying to log into the game without WTFast I'm getting a Connection Error when trying to run the client. Help anyone?

I'm assuming you're seeing the "Connection error(s) detected. Retrying..." message.

That one specifically is caused by not being able to download patches. This would have also affected the VPN, but ensure you haven't overwritten any of GW2's IPs in your hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and that you're not using an outdated -assetsrv option with GW2.

As a quick test, you can try using the primary patch server. This IP changes regularly, so to look it up yourself, open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and enter:

nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

... then use it with GW2:

-assetsrv 34.195.162.79

If the primary server fails, something is either blocking the connection, or you simply have no connection to the NA servers, in which case you can try to trace it (cmd.exe):

tracert origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com

To test your normal patch server, try opening http://assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com/latest64/101 in your browser. It should be a simple text page with only numbers. If it fails to connect, you may have a DNS problem (use Google's DNS), or if something else is shown, it should reveal the cause.