FPS drops and mounts @ bounty squads (Sandswept Isles)

Okay. We all know that FPS isn't one of GW2's strong suits. The FPS become horrific low during group events, the more people the worse.

This was somewhat okay on the old flat maps on foot. However, with the introduction of mounts and their use during events, it has become an intolerable issue!

I just joined a bounty train on the latest map, and after 15 minutes I had to leave due to my head spinning from the low FPS in combination with the constant jumping, flying and what not. I could hardly navigate my mount properly and started to feel sick quickly.

I say it is darn time for an engine update that addresses the FPS issue.

**Edit:** Posted my system specs and other info further down. It's not an issue with my system.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> I say it is darn time for an engine update that addresses the FPS issue.

That's not likely to happen, at all. They have been moving load away from the rendering thread(the main bottleneck) but it can only go so far.

A list of your system specs would be far more useful, to see if you cant squeeze anymore performance out of the hardware you do have or streamline your OS to improve performance.

> @"MrFayth.3546" said:

> A list of your system specs would be far more useful, to see if you cant squeeze anymore performance out of the hardware you do have or streamline your OS to improve performance.

I build and maintain my own PCs since the 1990s, I know what I am doing. I can run any other demanding games (like newer shooters) just fine on my system. I have no hardware bottlenecks, I have no additional crap running in the background, my Windows 7 Pro is tweaked properly, all my drivers as well as my BIOS are up-to-date, I adjusted all nVidia settings, unparked all CPU cores, and keep my system clean and smoothly running, no overheating issues either.

I have other, more demanding games run at 200+ FPS, only GW2 refuses to run at a proper FPS.

**This is an issue with the game.**

P.S. To satisfy your curiosity, this is my current rig, and while it's not high-end for 2018 it still leaves me satisfied for now and I don't intend on buying any new hardware for another 1-2 years:

* CPU: Intel Core i7 870 (QuadCore) @ 2.93GHz

* RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB Dual-Channel DDR3-1066

* Motherboard: ASRock P55 Deluxe3

* GPU: ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX 760 (4 GB)

* Audio: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi

* HDD: 2 TB Western Digital "Black"

It actually does seem like you know what you're doing as far as hardware is concerned. Software is another beast though. What other games are you comparing this too? +200FPS in First person shooters or MOBA's isn't very demanding.

I can already tell you that it's your CPUs single core performance that's holding you back in Gw2.

Over the years there's been quite a few graphical enhancements made to maps. Shadows, effects, particles. HoT and POF maps are much more demanding than core maps, not just because of mounts.

As savvy as you claim to be, you never do mention what these nauseating low FPS are, <40fps? 20fps?

Nor do you mention anything about your ingame settings, which can have a huge impact on systems with a CPU as old as yours.

> @"MrFayth.3546" said:

> [...]

> I can already tell you that it's your CPUs single core performance that's holding you back in Gw2.

Please read more carefully. As stated above, I have a **quad core** CPU (and all cores are unparked). Also, I explained that there is no software-sided issue as I know how to tweak and maintain a system properly.

It's the game engine. I squeeze more FPS out of it when I set animations to "low" and also deactivate reflections, which there are a lot of on a watery map like Sandswept Isles, but it's still not ideal when you do a bounty hunt there with a full squad, all on mounts. Both player models related settings are also set to "medium" (any of my other settings, like the shader, are also properly adjusted and do not influence the performance in a negative way in their current state, I've tested it; and no, I will not run on low textures, I don't want my eyes to bleed... besides, I've tried lower settings and they don't help with the issue at hand).

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"MrFayth.3546" said:

> > [...]

> > I can already tell you that it's your CPUs single core performance that's holding you back in Gw2.

>

> Please read more carefully. As stated above, I have a **quad core** CPU (and all cores are unparked). Also, I explained that there is no software-sided issue as I know how to tweak and maintain a system properly.

You know how to maintain a system but you don't know what Single Core/Threaded performance is? Something tells me you don't know as much as you think.

Say you're rendering a very large and complex image with tons of polygons and shading effects. How quickly 1 core of your CPU can render that is a good indicator of your *single core performance*, where as if you rendered the same scene using all 4 cores, you're showing Multithreaded/core performance.

Rendering characters and character animations is by far the most taxing task the CPU must perform, and it's mainly done by 1 thread on 1 core. Hence "single core performance" being key.

> @"MrFayth.3546" said:

> You know how to maintain a system but you don't know what Single Core/Threaded performance is? [...]

Sorry, I misread (and English isn't my native language), it happens.

Why do you think my CPU hasn't got the ability to multi-thread processes? Hyper-threading is enabled in BIOS and configured under Windows, so I don't get what you are trying to tell me about what else to do to boost the CPU's performance, sorry... please explain.

P.S. My hardware is relatively old, yes, but still good enough with other 3D applications newer than GW2. So I really don't think the game is properly optimized if I get only 13 FPS out of it in the situation depicted in my OP (Sandswept Isles, bounty hunting, lots of movement, max'd out squad plus PUGs).

I used to run GW2 just fine until recently. I get frame drops continually and multiple screen freezes that I had never gotten before. Never messed with my settings or anything. This has to be some sort of issue with GW2. Everything takes forever to load recently too. I used to load up in seconds. Now I wait sometimes up to a minute just for the damn map to load.

> @"Rufo.3716" said:

> I used to run GW2 just fine until recently. I get frame drops continually and multiple screen freezes that I had never gotten before. Never messed with my settings or anything. This has to be some sort of issue with GW2. Everything takes forever to load recently too. I used to load up in seconds. Now I wait sometimes up to a minute just for the kitten map to load.

Try repairing your client, had the very same issue and it magically disappeared after that