World Boss Portal Device [Merged]

Basically I think It would be cool to create a world boss portal scroll that would take you to the nearest waypoint of a selected list of world bosses across tyria. Similar to how the season portal scrolls work. Make it a gemstore thing if you think thats a good idea. Or better yet a scavenger hunt type thing in game to collect the Locations by doing the Bosses. If anyone has anything to add to this post please share it. Hopefully some Devs will see and like this idea.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that they would add this. Players run the world boss train because it makes sense as a gamer. In the game world I don't think there is any lore stating that they are aware of a great cycle of large enemies being reborn and killed over and over again:P I just don't see them adding a item to help players game the system more rather than play the game. Not to mention you already make enough money killing world bosses to cover the waypoint costs.

Also, if it was implemented the way your suggesting so it just teleports you to the closest world boss waypoint, wouldn't it just keep sending you to the same place your already at? If they made it not do that, then it would send you to the closest boss, not the next one up in the cycle. And as you normally have 2 or 3 bosses spawning at the same time, how would it know which one you wanted to go to anyways? Only way I can see it really work would be if it gave you a choice so you could select which boss you wanted to go to. But, at that point you have simply made a world wide free portal scroll.

> @"King Vinas Solamnus.4852" said:

> Don't know what you mean by auto killing. Would just like a quick way to get to world bosses without relying on other people.

Basically, they were making a sarcastic post to show their opinion. My best non sarcastic translation for what they said would be, "If you are asking them to just give you the rewards for no effort, why not go all the way and just ask them to kill the boss for you as well?"

If your concern is you have to rely on other players to tell you where to go, you can use this website to see what bosses are next. http://gw2timer.com/

Heck, they even offer an overlay so you can have the timer in game if you don't want to alt+tab, have a second monitor, or cell phone to view it on:)

> Wouldn't need to pay for waypoints with the scroll.

Think about how long it would take to spend as much on WP costs as you'd need to spend to actually buy that scroll. Something like that certainly won't be 100 gems item, but more in and around the vicinity of 1,000 gems.

> I'm following up on the idea of the season portal scrolls which let you travel to a waypoint in any of the new zones for free. Would be nice to get the same drop down list > with bosses names and just pick Tequatl or Chak Gearant and go to the closest waypoint.

That scroll is mostly intended so you don't have to play the LS chapter on every character you want to be able to go to those maps. That isn't the case with world bosses. You can just walk every character on your account to every core world boss you want.

> I'm following up on the idea of the season portal scrolls which let you travel to a waypoint in any of the new zones for free. Would be nice to get the same drop down list with bosses names and just pick Tequatl or Chak Gearant and go to the closest waypoint.

except those scrolls aren't free

but just follow a world boss train. like everyone else

or use a world boss timers on the net.

and don't come with any ''but i don't to be relying on other people''

you cannot solo a world boss you have to ''rely'' on other people

> @"Wildon.7618" said:

> I doubt that they would add this. Players run the world boss train because it makes sense as a gamer. In the game world I don't think there is any lore stating that they are aware of a great cycle of large enemies being reborn and killed over and over again:P I just don't see them adding a item to help players game the system more rather than play the game. Not to mention you already make enough money killing world bosses to cover the waypoint costs.

>

Or....

Taimi and Blish have noticed that upon the manifestation of an Delta Level threat, certain energy signatures spike. These Delta Level threats include Fire Elemental, Karka Queen, Shadow Behemoth, The Great Jungle Wurm, The Shatterer ect.

Taimi has asked that you take the Etheric Thingometer 2.0 to as many of these appearances as possible. Once the threat has been neutralized the Etheric Thingometer collects readings.

Once the device has read the energy at a certain threat dispersal area 5 times, the device becomes attuned and, thanks to Blish's work on the mobile asura gates is able to open you a personal portal to the area in question.

Talk to Blish in your Home Instance to get your Etheric Thingometer and further instructions.

The device works exactly like the season 3/4 Portal Tomes for the menu, and the Spearmarshall's Plea for sending you to an area close to the World Boss spawn point.

GW2 has a long proud tradition of gating convenience over immersion behind it's repeatable content. A World Boss Portal Device can be easily fit into game lore and setting and is an absolutely fantastic idea.

There are people who's daily routine includes jumping from world boss to world boss, socializing and dropping fun boxes, grabbing their rare and taxiing to the next. I personally can't think of a better way to reward them than with a convenience item that saves them a half gold a day in waypoint costs.

Not sure I think it is needed for individual use, but I would love to see something like this implemented into guild halls - a way to move large groups of guildees to select points around Tyria.

Or maybe something a little more direct - a crafted scribing consumable that connects a portal in the guild hall with a one time use flag that a guild leader or officer can drop out in the world (that remains for about 10-30 minutes before despawning).

It would make it easier for guilds to do things together.

> The whole purpose of the scroll would be to get to World bosses as quickly as possible. Anything else people project on to this or assume my intentions are false.

Well, for that you have the WP's. It's the first answer you got. But your counter argument was that you wouldn't have to pay WP costs with such a scroll as you suggest. So it's not just about getting to world bosses faster. You also want to circumvent paying to get to the world bosses. That is not something people project, it's literally what you said. You also said you wanted a world boss timer added to it as well, so that to me makes it clear that what you want is to be catered to your maximum personal convenience. If you're not willing to pay the few silver for a WP (which, unless you're extremely poor in game, will never be a drain on your total resources) or open the map to select that WP, that just makes it seem like laziness to me. No offense.

> @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > @"King Vinas Solamnus.4852" said:

> > The whole purpose of the scroll would be to get to World bosses as quickly as possible. Anything else people project on to this or assume my intentions are false.

>

> Well, for that you have the WP's. It's the first answer you got. But your counter argument was that you wouldn't have to pay WP costs with such a scroll as you suggest. So it's not just about getting to world bosses faster. You also want to circumvent paying to get to the world bosses. That is not something people project, it's literally what you said. You also said you wanted a world boss timer added to it as well, so that to me makes it clear that what you want is to be catered to your maximum personal convenience. If you're not willing to pay the few silver for a WP (which, unless you're extremely poor in game, will never be a drain on your total resources) or open the map to select that WP, that just makes it seem like laziness to me. No offense.

Is using the Living World S3 and 4 Portal Tomes also "Lazy"?

All these Tomes drop you right next to a waypoint.

Heck these tomes are account bound, so I can give them to an alt who has never even unlocked the WP.

These portal scroll/tomes are earned with Unbound/Volatile Magic. A reward for doing the content. Spearmarshall's Plea is also earned the same way with similar functionality and purpose.

If the scroll the OP is suggesting is earned by defeating the bosses it falls fully in line with existing design.

I fail to see the resistance to the idea.

I think it's also simpler to implement than many of the existing stuff that's been delivered as Current Events content.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > > @"King Vinas Solamnus.4852" said:

> > > The whole purpose of the scroll would be to get to World bosses as quickly as possible. Anything else people project on to this or assume my intentions are false.

> >

> > Well, for that you have the WP's. It's the first answer you got. But your counter argument was that you wouldn't have to pay WP costs with such a scroll as you suggest. So it's not just about getting to world bosses faster. You also want to circumvent paying to get to the world bosses. That is not something people project, it's literally what you said. You also said you wanted a world boss timer added to it as well, so that to me makes it clear that what you want is to be catered to your maximum personal convenience. If you're not willing to pay the few silver for a WP (which, unless you're extremely poor in game, will never be a drain on your total resources) or open the map to select that WP, that just makes it seem like laziness to me. No offense.

>

> Is using the Living World S3 and 4 Portal Tomes also "Lazy"?

> All these Tomes drop you right next to a waypoint.

> Heck these tomes are account bound, so I can give them to an alt who has never even unlocked the WP.

>

> These portal scroll/tomes are earned with Unbound/Volatile Magic. A reward for doing the content. Spearmarshall's Plea is also earned the same way with similar functionality and purpose.

> If the scroll the OP is suggesting is earned by defeating the bosses it falls fully in line with existing design.

>

> I fail to see the resistance to the idea.

> I think it's also simpler to implement than many of the existing stuff that's been delivered as Current Events content.

No, the season 3 and 4 portal tomes aren't lazy, because they have a different purpose than just getting you to a specific place quickly. They are to prevent that you have to do LS chapters on every character you want to take to those maps, enabling you to go back to the map with alts after you've unlocked it once. This has already been pointed out. Do they have the added effect of being able to quickly port to a specific place for free? Yes, they do. But that is not their primary function. This item that is asked for, does have as a primary function the ability to port you to specific places, but these places are freely accessible to any character on your account as long as you go there once. There is no specific content you have to do to unlock it on every alt. So that's comparing apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought it, because I am lazy af. Would be nice if they could add a whole timetable for all bosses, not just show the imminent threat and the next approaching threat...and if they could show the time too. I have the item now, but I still like to take a look at the event timer on wiki because those features are missing.