What is season 2

Living Story Season 2 acts as a plot bridge between the events of Season One and the first expansion, Heart of Thorns. You'll be missing a lot of events that happened after the core game's personal story, as they happened in Season One, which unfortunately cannot be played anymore, as it focused mostly in open world events, which have since ended. You can watch recap videos of it from Youtube though, and that can help you fill the plot void. Season 2 plot picks up from where Season 1 ended and has some interesting story bits you might want to play through before starting Heart of Thorns. Without it, the beginning of Heart of Thorns might not make any sense.

For now, just play through the campaign you've purchased and don't worry about Season 2.

Strictly speaking, your Personal Story ends at the story step called "Victory or Death". You'll know when you've completed the Personal Story because -- quite literally -- "the credits will roll". (You'll see credits for the game design team scroll up the screen.)

Chronologically, Living World Season 2 takes place after this final Personal Story step. You can start Season 2 as soon as you hit level 80, although it will make much more sense if you complete your Personal Story first. It will make even more sense if you read this recap of Living World Season 1 as well: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_1 (Spoiler Alert: complete your Personal Story, then read the recap, then start Season 2)

Or, if you REALLY want to have the full Living World Season 1 experience -- watch the 3 hour long "Complete Season 1 Movie":

That is going to show you darn near everything from the first season, which -- tragically -- is no longer available to play through in-game. Pretty sure you know this, but just in case: Living World Season 1 is no longer available to play through in-game (for various technical/logistical reasons which, in hindsight, have been widely regarded as "really, really, REALLY bad design decisions"). So, when you complete "Victory or Death", I would HIGHLY recommend pouring a tall glass of your beverage of choice, and then watching the "Complete Season 1 Movie" I linked above to prep yourself, lore-wise, for Season 2.

Season 2 does not contain any pre-level 80 content. You will not miss anything at all by not purchasing it right now. I would recommend you complete your Personal Story first on at least one character, and perhaps several characters. You can then purchase the Season 2 Content Pack with Gems (via the Black Lion Trading Company -- hotkey "O"). That means you could technically amass a large amount of gold by playing through your Personal Story, and perhaps completing every map in the original Core Tyria world, with one or more characters. Then, once you've amassed a sufficient amount of gold, trade it in for Gems and purchase Season 2 "for free". Or just buy about $15 worth of Gems (and convert a very small amount of gold into Gems to make up the difference) and unlock it directly. If you want to save your gold, I'd say Season 2 is easily worth $15 (e.g. I'd easily put it on-par with three Starbucks Venti White Mocha coffees). But if you're on a shoestring budget, grind until your eyes bleed and convert gold to Gems to unlock it. GW2 is very cool and flexible in that way.

The original Personal Story is kind of hit-or-miss on quality, depending on which paths and choices you make. Season 2 starts to pick up the pace a bit, although it does away with almost all branching choices (race, personality, background, etc.) Heart of Thorns is a worthy expansion, especially if you can pick it up on sale. In Season 3, the game's story telling really starts to hit its stride. And then Path of Fire has, in my opinion, the most solid story yet -- even though it has the least amount of branching story points.

> @"Maximus Delion.8719" said:

> For now, just play through the campaign you've purchased and don't worry about Season 2.

>

> Strictly speaking, your Personal Story ends at the story step called "Victory or Death". You'll know when you've completed the Personal Story because -- quite literally -- "the credits will roll". (You'll see credits for the game design team scroll up the screen.)

>

> Chronologically, Living World Season 2 takes place after this final Personal Story step. You can start Season 2 as soon as you hit level 80, although it will make much more sense if you complete your Personal Story first. It will make even more sense if you read this recap of Living World Season 1 as well: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_1 (Spoiler Alert: complete your Personal Story, then read the recap, then start Season 2)

>

> Or, if you REALLY want to have the full Living World Season 1 experience -- watch the 3 hour long "Complete Season 1 Movie":

>

>

> That is going to show you darn near everything from the first season, which -- tragically -- is no longer available to play through in-game. Pretty sure you know this, but just in case: Living World Season 1 is no longer available to play through in-game (for various technical/logistical reasons which, in hindsight, have been widely regarded as "really, really, REALLY bad design decisions"). So, when you complete "Victory or Death", I would HIGHLY recommend pouring a tall glass of your beverage of choice, and then watching the "Complete Season 1 Movie" I linked above to prep yourself, lore-wise, for Season 2.

>

> Season 2 does not contain any pre-level 80 content. You will not miss anything at all by not purchasing it right now. I would recommend you complete your Personal Story first on at least one character, and perhaps several characters. You can then purchase the Season 2 Content Pack with Gems (via the Black Lion Trading Company -- hotkey "O"). That means you could technically amass a large amount of gold by playing through your Personal Story, and perhaps completing every map in the original Core Tyria world, with one or more characters. Then, once you've amassed a sufficient amount of gold, trade it in for Gems and purchase Season 2 "for free". Or just buy about $15 worth of Gems (and convert a very small amount of gold into Gems to make up the difference) and unlock it directly. If you want to save your gold, I'd say Season 2 is easily worth $15 (e.g. I'd easily put it on-par with three Starbucks Venti White Mocha coffees). But if you're on a shoestring budget, grind until your eyes bleed and convert gold to Gems to unlock it. GW2 is very cool and flexible in that way.

>

> The original Personal Story is kind of hit-or-miss on quality, depending on which paths and choices you make. Season 2 starts to pick up the pace a bit, although it does away with almost all branching choices (race, personality, background, etc.) Heart of Thorns is a worthy expansion, especially if you can pick it up on sale. In Season 3, the game's story telling really starts to hit its stride. And then Path of Fire has, in my opinion, the most solid story yet -- even though it has the least amount of branching story points.

>

Excellent I was worried. I can spend a little. It's just its expensive to pay 50 bucks and than more in the same week. I played this game once before a long time ago. When it very first came out. I didn't really get into it, and lost which account I used. I have stranded collection I should have two expansions in it. It's just all a little overwhelming at first. I appreciate the information.

I see you are concerned about the cash costs. This is fair! But a) you won't be racing to the parts you need to pay for all that soon (like I said above, it's not until you reach the HoT part that you have to own it to see it; a friend can take you through LS2 once you are ready for that "movie"). And b) if you save up your gold as you go, it is possible to get at least some of the gems needed to buy the episodes in LS3 and 4 with in-game gold rather than RL money.