Deadeye: Obstructed steal fails intentional?

Platanos.8107

In sPvP, maps that are pretty bumpy (e.g. Battle of Khylo) have tons of line of sight issue. Almost all the times where I do not have line of sight and cast Steal, it says "Obstructed", and it goes on full cooldown, with no benefits of the steal or stolen abilities besides "Thrill of the Crime".

Is this supposed to be intentional? I feel like it shits on deadeye pretty hard because deadeye basically needs Trickery to function, and Trickery, along with deadeye, buffs up our steal.

This has been a major quality of life question from Deadeye users since the Beta Test Week for them on PvP. Considering the Core Thieves' base steal is instantaneous while their stolen ability is a skillshot or projectile that can miss, its hard to get used to the feeling been swapped. To my knowledge, we still haven't received any words from the developers on why they chose to switch Steal from Instant Cast to Projectile and the stolen skill from Projectile to Instant Cast. My guess is to "Balance the damage from Malice Stacks", but considering how slow it travels, how easy it is to dodge or reflect, and how shotty the "Obstructed" detection already is for the deadeye, I can't help but feel that this was an unnessessary addition to the already clunky feel. (I still love Deadeye, but the fact that the whole main feature/gimik can simply be canceled by one dodge roll seems shitty to me).

> @AlphaWolvesGamer.5790 said:

> To my knowledge, we still haven't received any words from the developers on why they chose to switch Steal from Instant Cast to Projectile and the stolen skill from Projectile to Instant Cast.

Robert addressed it in the Update Thread, and you guess correctly, it's for balance reasons. Whether or not they are good reasons are up for debate but... Here's the full quote either way:

> @"Robert Gee.9246" said:

> > @"The Mechanic.3567" said:

> > Hey ANET dev's,

> >

> > im just curious as to why you didnt listen to the feedback you got from your players, or if you are planning on making the changes we have suggested (such as the movement cancels crouch suggestion) why keep us in the dark about it? let it be known you have heard our complaints and that for one reason or another you havent decided to change that yet. communication is key to good relationships and your tarnishing your relationship with your customers by suggesting that your listening to us with a beta, then not telling us why none of our suggestions made it into the first cut of refinements. honestly the whole spec feels clunky and unpolished. id at least like to hear that it was intentional for one reason or another.

>

> So I was hesitating to respond to this since it's pretty late, but I think it's important for us to be clear on a few of these points.

>

> We do read a lot of the feedback on these forums, but *listening to feedback is not the same as acting on feedback*. Additionally *we do not have time to respond to every post on the forum*. I'm responding to this on my own time after work and the reason we've actually had time to respond today to your replies is because we are in a "calm before the storm" situation right before the game launches. I don't expect that we'll have nearly as much time after the 22nd.

>

> I think we can all agree that communication is important, but we can't spend our time here promising you that we are listening when we should be working to improve the game.

>

> Okay now that that's out of the way here are a few thoughts:

> * Cast time on Mark - Marking a target is intended as a commitment, and the added power of malice plus the refresh ability on kill afforded to Deadeye means that that some power balance needed to be made elsewhere.

> * Moving Breaks Kneel - Kneel is intended to be a mode that requires forethought and planning, but we want to allow you to dodge roll when attacks come in. There are players that use doubletap to roll, so movement breaking kneel is not an option.

> * Malice Generation Rate - Speed of Malice generation is something that ties very closely with Deadeye's power. We'd like to watch it more before making changes to it.

While I don't mind that they added the cast time for balance reasons, the simple fact that Obstructed occurs 99% of the time because of poor aim markers and how slow the projectile actually travels really hurts the class. I guarantee if they fix the Obstructed problem, and it would fix a lot of the complaints they're getting. (*Edit*: When I'm talking about the "Obstruction" problem, I'm talking about the issues that all projectiles (especially slow moving ones) have trouble with. Not just Deadeye's Mark).

It's still frustrating that we have to rely on a projectile for Deadeye's main source of damage, when you can just go Daredevil or Core and deal arguably the same amount of damage that Deadeye would deal WITH mark without worrying about getting gutted if they're core class feature misses because of terrain issues.