Coming back?

Dear Community,

I would need some advice concerning the following topic:

I played GW2 on release for almost one year and enjoyed it very well. It was the best MMORPG ive played since then and it still is. There were this funny and wunderfully designed story that catched my attention and I appreciated the paying-method of Arenanet. It felt like getting a really good game for a fair price, without a need to pay for a monthly "subscription" or for better gear.

But my friends played other games and so i left GW2 to experience adventures together with them.

So after a few years i have to admit: I need some good adventures again. The games we played were mostly MOBA-Games or Shooters. It´s challenging to play a lot for the skill in this genres, but I feel like I need a world full of adventures again to feel like back then, living in a fantasy-world and do different stuff. Im tired of shooting people solo-online or farming lanes in 5v5-matches. I need a casual adventure game to relax and have fun in different ways together with other people and (optional) alone. A game to get my head clear. So i want to play GW2 again.

But i havent played since 2014/15 and so i have some questions:

1. Is it still worth it to play? Or do you think it is to late now?

2. Are there enough people around the GW2-World or does it feel like playing solo all the time?

3. I think I will get the Add-Ons, to get the good story, but whats about the living story? Is there a possibility to enjoy the content released in the last years? (I remember, there were purchasable episodes) Are they very expensive and worth it?

Greatings

Robert

PS: I´m aware of my medium english writing skills. Please forgive me;).

If you’re serious about coming back, I’d definitely recommend the expansions. They add to the story (obviously) but also give you more to do once you hit 80 while core Tyria is kinda dead in that regard. Not to mention the mounts added via PoF simply making life easier in general. Oh and the extra class specializations to boot.

I was in your shoes last summer when an email about HoT going on sale plopped into my inbox. Decided to give GW2 another go and has now been playing regularly since then.

Its not even worth coming back unless you get both expansions (seriously). You'll be sidelined everywhere without them. Luckily, you can buy them both together for about $50. And yea, its still worth it. To answer your questions:

1) It's not too late, because you can get fully geared in months through solo play.

2) There are actually too many people in the game at times.

3) The only living world episode that's kinda mandatory is season 3 (for the easy path they offer to ascended trinkets). Two is purely optional unless you're strapped for Tyria mastery points. 4 is happening right now, and (I believe) is free to play for people with Path of Fire.

I'd personally recommend coming back and getting the expansions, they'll give you a lot of content to play through, I see plenty of people around the maps whenever I play.

I personally would buy the living world seasons too for the story, living world season 2 is the story before Heart of Thorns, living world season 3 is the story between Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire and we're currently in episode 2 of living world season 4 which takes place after the story in Path of Fire. Each episode that you missed will cost 200 gems which is €2.50 but if you log in now you'll get episode 2 for free.

Thank you guys for your opinions. Do you have any suggestion in which order I should play the story?

And would you sell the gear of my Lvl 80 Thief to get gems for the Living story (do i have to rebuy it for every new char?)?

I think I wont play him anymore, he lacks a personal connection now^^.

You only have to buy/unlock living world seasons once per account (applies to all characters on your account). Season 1 is simply not available but seasons 2 and 3 are.

In Heart of Thorns you can unlock gliding (among other) mastery which is fun and useful.

In Path of Fire you can unlock mounts which make travel a lot faster. Both expansions require a level 80 character.

> @"Wizler.8192" said:

> You only have to buy/unlock living world seasons once per account (applies to all characters on your account). Season 1 is simply not available but seasons 2 and 3 are.

>

> In Heart of Thorns you can unlock gliding (among other) mastery which is fun and useful.

>

> In Path of Fire you can unlock mounts which make travel a lot faster. Both expansions require a level 80 character.

So if I go for the mount in PoF with my Lvl 80 thief, can I use it with a new Char too?

I am sure your English is better than my skill at writing in any other language, so no worries there. I don't think its too late to re-engage in the game considering the living story releases new content every 2-3 months and more expansions are in works. That said I also see a number of people in map chat that call out that they are new as well, and have seen a good number of new toons in maps. And as you pointed out, considering their pricing method you don't lose anything by just coming back and trying it yourself before deciding if you want to get the expansions, but I do recommend them and living stories to guild-mates that took extended breaks. Which ever way you decide, good gaming to you!

> @"RaVeN.5941" said:

> Thank you guys for your opinions. Do you have any suggestion in which order I should play the story?

> And would you sell the gear of my Lvl 80 Thief to get gems for the Living story (do i have to rebuy it for every new char?)?

> I think I wont play him anymore, he lacks a personal connection now^^.

If you're actually interested in the story, then you might as well start from the beginning (lws2). But if you want to just jump into things that will make your character viable for current content, do HoT, followed by PoF.

**EDIT:** And just so that you don't waste time and have to do things twice, try to get all of the following things as you work through the stories (and their related maps).

In Heart of Thorns:

1) All the HoT waypoints.

2) Basic gliding

3) Updraft Mastery

4) Bouncing mushrooms.

In Path of Fire:

1) All the PoF waypoints.

2) Raptor, Springer, and Skimmer to rank 3

In general:

1) A complete unlock of one elite spec of your choosing.

If you pick all that stuff up, You'll build a great foundation for everything else you might decide to do in game.

Guys, you really give me the fealing that giving it a try is the wright decision. And because I care much for the Story, I will try to stick to the release order of the diffrent parts. And if you think, it´s not necessary to get a mount for the story pre-PoF, I can wait for it. But thats the only thing I not sure about yet^^.

PS: Shall I buy the Add-Ons when I need the story (regarding the story-order) or now?

@"Fallesafe.5932" Thank you for the tips:)

> @"RaVeN.5941" said:

> So if I go for the mount in PoF with my Lvl 80 thief, can I use it with a new Char too?

Yes, once you unlock the mounts on your thief, you can use them on all other toons, even a new level 1!! Same with gliding and other masteries--they are for the whole account.

> @"Fallesafe.5932" said:

> Sure thing:) If you need any help (and you're playing on an NA server), send me a message.

Thx, but I´m playing on EU.

> @"Wizler.8192" said:

> Yes, once you unlock the mounts on your thief, you can use them on all other toons, even a new level 1!! Same with gliding and other masteries--they are for the whole account.

Nice, so i can give it a try and get the mount. Is it a big "spoiler" to play the story till the mount?

> @"Wizler.8192" said:

> > @"RaVeN.5941" said:

> > So if I go for the mount in PoF with my Lvl 80 thief, can I use it with a new Char too?

>

> Yes, once you unlock the mounts on your thief, you can use them on all other toons, even a new level 1!! Same with gliding and other masteries--they are for the whole account.

Actually, you can't use them on a level 1 since you're still in the initial instance at level 1, and you can't use mounts and gliders there. Level 2, however, is fine, since finishing the initial instance puts you at level 2, and then you're in the open world.