[Suggestion] New class: the Ritualist

The Ritualist.

A class we all know and loved from Gw1, but why didn't it make the cut to GW2?

It's a question I still can't figure an answer to, since it would fit perfectly into the game. It offers new, fun and unique mechanics.

My draft for the ritualist is heavily leaned on the Ritualist from Gw1.

The Ritualist is a perfect mix between support and dps.

'Summoning Spirits' which buff allies or deal damage to foes (spirits that can't move by themselves and work as a buff in an area) are mostly utility skills (maybe some staff skills too), as well as the signet of spirits as elite skill which summons 3 spirits (elite skill from Gw1)

F1 skills are for example teleporting your spirits to your position or consume your spirits to heal nearby allies (& your spirits) or damage nearby foes.

'Spirit weapons' as new utility skills , they would easily work as a buff, like more damage, siphoning life, AoE-damage etc. just like they were in Gw1 and maybe even a spirit weapon skill which works like endure pain which allows u to take 0 dmg for 2-3 secs.

There are many weapon choices that fit the ritualist.

Obviously the usual magician weapons like scepter, focus, staff etc. (staff as offensive weapon with channeled strike, essence strike etc. (Gw1 Skills dealing lightning and fire damage)) (scepter and focus as heal weapons with skills like 'Life' (spirit skill) 'Mend Body and Soul' 'Spirit Transfer' etc.).

But also weapons like torches and swords fit the ritualist.

Furthermore they should also get 'Corruptions' as utilities since they also had 'Sacrifices' in Gw1, something like heal allies but sacrifice a percentage of your health for it e.g. 'Flesh of my Flesh'.

Then we have 'Ashes'. Ritualist are able to summon Ashes which when they expire or when you drop them have an effect like rezzing downed party members, heal party members, damage foes or knock down foes.

It fits perfectly in Gw2 in many ways and it really needs to be an own profession and not come as an elite spec because it has too many own unique mechanics.

There is no class like the Ritualist in Gw2, Guardian is not similiar to it and so is not Revenant.

The Ritualist is a magician and not a soldier.

Maybe when we go to Cantha at some point, anet could introduce the Ritualist as an own profession.

In my opinion GW2 should get more classes, the elite spec system works well but it does not replace new professions and I'm slowly getting tired of the same old classes.

> @"ScottBroChill.3254" said:

> I agree. I feel like anet is really trying to appeal to those of us who play rit in GW1, at first with engi turrets and guardian spirit weapons, and now with kalla and her spirits, but it isn't the same or satisfying. People miss the theme, they don't just want little bits and parts from it. bring it backkkkkk

it's true that there are some similiarities but it is still not the same.

Even if it's only the theme, look at Black Desert Online... they release a new class every few months and there is hardly any difference (in form of unique mechanics) except for the theme from the old ones

I mean thematically Revenant and Ritualists have a lot of commonalities, so I’d say that’s your “GW2 Rit.” BUT gameplay wise they’re nothing alike so... I’d rather they rework the Rev to be more effective and maybe implement your ideas. Maybe even make Rit an elite spec in a future expansion.

Personally I think the GW1 classes we miss would make good elites. Paragon for Guardian, Dervish for Ranger or Ele, Ritualist for Rev or Necromancer.

I think the last class archetype GW2 is missing is a monk/priest/cleric type. This could be the ritualist, or have the ritualist as an elite spec. Either way, I want this archetype back in the game. Which all the god stuff in PoF, not being able to be a monk type character was a missed opportunity.

> @"wardog.3598" said:

> I think the last class archetype GW2 is missing is a monk/priest/cleric type. This could be the ritualist, or have the ritualist as an elite spec. Either way, I want this archetype back in the game. Which all the god stuff in PoF, not being able to be a monk type character was a missed opportunity.

Isn’t Druid elite effectively the GW2 “monk/cleric”?

Hmmm reading this it’s pretty much Druid. Druid already has spirits that give buffs and you don’t need to have them port since your staff can pretty much leap to where you want to go. It the best healer in the game also and can go celestial when the bar is full.... then you can ether choose harrier gear for more buffs and less heals or magis. Which is more heals and less effective buffs.

You summon water, ice, stone spirits for buffs etc. and you have the diversity to use another weapon besides staff as main...

Only thing is having like little minions like a elementalist but you don’t really need them since your heal radius is pretty far.

Also forgot. It’s not a thing that people want in groups however. Since your thinking on healing. Elementalist on magis is pretty much what I can think of. The rain heal for your team. The staff that shoots the element you want. It summons an elemental minion with you. Etc. it’s a good healer however people would rather want a Druid in your group. But to me personally having a magi tempest seams monk to me.

> @"blambidy.3216" said:

> Hmmm reading this it’s pretty much Druid. Druid already has spirits that give buffs and you don’t need to have them port since your staff can pretty much leap to where you want to go. It the best healer in the game also and can go celestial when the bar is full.... then you can ether choose harrier gear for more buffs and less heals or magis. Which is more heals and less effective buffs.

>

> You summon water, ice, stone spirits for buffs etc. and you have the diversity to use another weapon besides staff as main...

>

> Only thing is having like little minions like a elementalist but you don’t really need them since your heal radius is pretty far.

>

> Also forgot. It’s not a thing that people want in groups however. Since your thinking on healing. Elementalist on magis is pretty much what I can think of. The rain heal for your team. The staff that shoots the element you want. It summons an elemental minion with you. Etc. it’s a good healer however people would rather want a Druid in your group. But to me personally having a magi tempest seams monk to me.

Agreed, druid has shallow similiarities to the Ritualist but again it's completely different, their spirit buffs wouldn't work the same as the ones from the Ritualist.

Also don't forget that he Ritualists spirits also do damage and physically attack people it wouldn't just be an area effect.

Technically there are similiarities between all professions since for example different profession use the same utilities skill base, having said that I don't think just the fact that other classes are able to summon spirits as well replaces the idea of the Ritualist imo.

Also I don't think what's wrong with adding a new profession which has similiar roles as others.

I mean there are a lot of different roles for dps e.g. so why shouldn't there be different roles ( I know there are some choices between ele and druid but still) for support or heal/offensive roles?

> @"ScottBroChill.3254" said:

> I agree. I feel like anet is really trying to appeal to those of us who play rit in GW1, at first with engi turrets and guardian spirit weapons, and now with kalla and her spirits, but it isn't the same or satisfying. People miss the theme, they don't just want little bits and parts from it. bring it backkkkkk

Now I understand why they are so diligently trying to upgrade those skills that I never use. Hmm.

I have never managed to finish GW1, nor try Ritualist. Now I will. Feels a bit like a Necro with a Guardian attitude.

> @"Lancaeron.1524" said:

> Think about it: Spirits are to Ritualists, as Turrets are to Engineers. The Engineer took over the Ritualists' roles.

I think that was Anet's plan, but those of us who liked the ritualist and wanted it back aren't really into engi both thematically and playstyle wise. At least I don't care for it.

> @"Controlla.7241" said:

> Technically there are similiarities between all professions since for example different profession use the same utilities skill base, having said that I don't think just the fact that other classes are able to summon spirits as well replaces the idea of the Ritualist imo.

I agree, just because we have classes that have some similiar roles/mechanics doesnt mean we cant get a class which uses some of those mechanics (or leans on mechanics from other classes)

So even if we have turrets from the engineer, how does that hold us back from getting a ritualist?

Also as I understood the Ritualist main focus is on healing/buffs something the engineer isnt (especially not with the holosmith elite spec)

> @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> Stop with the hybrid stuff.

What's wrong with hybrid? I personally would love to have a good mix between support and dps that is not brainless like the druid...

> @"Deathok.2914" said:

> > @"Controlla.7241" said:

>

> > Technically there are similiarities between all professions since for example different profession use the same utilities skill base, having said that I don't think just the fact that other classes are able to summon spirits as well replaces the idea of the Ritualist imo.

>

> I agree, just because we have classes that have some similiar roles/mechanics doesnt mean we cant get a class which uses some of those mechanics (or leans on mechanics from other classes)

> So even if we have turrets from the engineer, how does that hold us back from getting a ritualist?

> Also as I understood the Ritualist main focus is on healing/buffs something the engineer isnt (especially not with the holosmith elite spec)

>

>

> > @"Shirlias.8104" said:

>

> > Stop with the hybrid stuff.

>

> What's wrong with hybrid? I personally would love to have a good mix between support and dps that is not brainless like the druid...

I happened to see Elementalists and Engineers in spvp during the core game ( as druids now ).

Guess I don't have to explain what were ( let's hope that druid is finally nerfed to the ground ) the problem.

Ritualist won't work for the same reason turrent engi and minion necromancers are bad. Ritualist requires spirits to work. AI based build are not good in GW2 intentionally, they allow passive, safe gameplay which should never be as rewarding as active builds. It's deep into game's design.

I share the sentiment about ritualist profession from GW1 however it's very unlikely to happen. Definitely not in a form we remember it from GW1.

> @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> I happened to see Elementalists and Engineers in spvp during the core game ( as druids now ).

> Guess I don't have to explain what were ( let's hope that druid is finally nerfed to the ground ) the problem.

I get your point, but I think you are supposed to either spec the ritualist to be a support or a dps not a hybrid.