I miss world bosses and gliding

Lonami.2987

I hope I'm wrong, but with what I've seen so far of the 5 new maps (which are awesome), there seems to be no world bosses (80 players, with their own special mechanics) and no gliding mechanics (updrafts, etc).

---

Bounties are very, very good, and I love them. I would cry of joy if they were introduced retroactively for every zone of the game, specially if guild missions start including them too. However, they can be finished with 10 players easily, even legendaries. And that's fine, it's about time we got a middle-ground between normal events and huge bosses.

However, **world bosses**, and by world boss I mean a big baddie that needs 80+ players to be defeated, plus a series of special mechanics and secondary events that need to be completed, have their own space, too. They are good to gather the community around the same spot, and work together towards something.

They don't need to be hardcore, like Tequatl and Triple Trouble (I wish we got more hardcore world bosses, but that's another topic), something mid-level like Vinewrath, Twisted Marionette, or the Chak Gerents, would be fine. The challenge is important, but the sense of community they create is the real reason why they are so good.

Look at Dragon's Stand. It has some flaws here and there (stinks of rushed deadline), but it's pretty much the best open world content of the game. The lanes are good, and the final fight is badass. This kind of content is unique to GW2, there's no other MMO out there that does open world as good as we do. I want more of that!

I feel like the current maps have nothing to do once you're done with them, and that worries me. Yeah, the expansion released yesterday, and I'm already thinking months ahead, but the sooner we talk about it the better (and I still hope I'm proven wrong about world bosses).

---

Then, **gliding**, or lack thereof. There's a trend with ArenaNet design that annoys me, and it's creating new systems, and then forgetting about them. I love gliding. I love many of the cool mechanics introduced in LW3. And I hate that they aren't expanded or used elsewhere. I want more content designed for gliding. What about a gliding race? Or horizontal currents to navigate the desert? No, it seems gliding is over, and that's so sad.

New systems getting dropped off once the novelty is over feels awful. If it's a design decision to keep each expansion independent, maybe it was a mistake to let people buy PoF without buying HoT. Maybe they should go back to the original hinted model of "pay 50€ and get new expansion plus all old ones", but keep the "30€ if you already have everything" for veterans only.

Will PoF mounts be useless for the 3rd expansion? I would hate that. I want to keep using them with new content designed specifically for them, for all the years to come.

---

Masteries have kinda lost their original purpose, too. They were designed to be these "boosts" or "upgrades", like in Metroidvania games, but with PoF we have no "classic masteries", just mounts. There's nothing like using new mechanics to interact with the new maps, only mounts. It feels kinda underwhelming when you are dismounted. HoT had gliding, but then it had other things like the mushrooms and the teleporters. It had a more general sense of progression, of interaction with the new lands.

Just my two cents. I feel like ArenaNet went to the extremes once again, instead of searching for the middle ground. From an expansion ridden by meta-event world bosses, to an expansion with no world bosses at all. God damn it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PoF is not HoT ! I enjoy the more relaxing environment in PoF,if I want to be killed by everything and be in constant fight mdoe I go in HoT. And how can tou say that gliders are useless,it's not that you will stay forever on PoF maps...Gliding is a HoT thing,Mounts a PoF thing,we have diversity in movement and maps . Masteries are still upgrades and boosts to PoF specific feature just like HoT. You seem to dislike something,but bring valid points not your personal feelings.

> @Cronospere.8143 said:

> You may expect a combination of HoT and PoF masteries in the upcoming living story, as people say before you should be able to play PoF without HoT!

I already have no expectations, just will be surprised I guess ;)

If PoF is supposed to be also played alone it should be a bit of both worlds.

Because HoT meta events are also fun.

How new player that doesn't have HoT should know it?

> @David.5974 said:

> No Meta events really? So, why the bloody kitten I was buy this xpac. I was really hyped for some exciting sandwurms or deadly Joko champion or saving refuges from balthazar army (like old LA). Okay, so we get five maps and mounts.

There are champions and you can save refugees... It just scales with the number of people you bring to the event. Bounties solo are a no-no though, there are explicit anti solo mechanics.

Such a disappointment.

Those maps are a massive step backward.

they're pretty but there's nothing to do there.

i mean we're back to hearts and sh** boring events.

I loved the HoT's meta-events, i expected that PoF PvE would have been based on similar mechanics.

But it's just random solo PvE.... event Hp are now solo....

Gliding is a Hot mechanic and as much as I am not fond of it mounts are a PoF mechanic. Gliding will be there but Pof was made to work around mounts. I love the laid back environment. It is nice to be able to do maps and not be forced to hunt down active maps to make progress. I think it is a good balance if you want metas there are the hot maps if you want to relax and solo things then you have the pof maps. It is a nice medium to meet all players needs.

> @xikira.3264 said:

> I think it is a good balance if you want metas there are the hot maps if you want to relax and solo things then you have the pof maps. It is a nice medium to meet all players needs.

A good balance would have been 50% relaxed soloable maps, 50% meta event maps.

"if you want metas there are hot maps" - people played the HoT maps for 2 years now. You're telling them to continue playing the same 4 maps for 4 years until the next expansion hits? Are we even sure that the next expansion will feature meta events again?

That's not how you keep players playing, and it's highly questionable if those who leave now will come back for the next expansion. The numbers will tell.

As much as I love the new maps I do miss map-wide meta events (if they would be way more infrequent than in HoT). As for world bosses, we already got a ton of timed content that is just too much hassle to participate in, although one more world boss in a relevant content wouldn't be bad either. I admit having some gliding-only content would be cool, but gliders themselves I have been using still (at least in 1st map), since all I got is a raptor mount.

I agree with everything. I would like to see gliding and mounts simultaneously in the new maps. The experience I am getting now is like: "Hmm. I got something new, but I am missing something". Moreover, Hot maps were focused on coordinating all players in finishing one huge map event. However, pof maps not only don't include those huge map scale events with a significant purpose (exp. making legendaries) but in addition they look empty of players because they are huge in size. I am still left with 2 maps to explore. I hope I run into a map which coordinates all players in a single huge, big event which will stay important even after I will have completed it for some reason for players to keep rolling in.

While it would be good to get more Meta Events there is such a thing as over diluting the space and here is my reasoning behind this. If they prove to be better then HoT then no one will do HoT meta anymore leaving the expac nothing but a class/crafting/gliding/story unlock purchase. In the best case scenario they prove to be equal so if there is any overlap people may be too divided to finish one or the other with great(est) rewards.

I also disagree with your thoughts on new mounts system and mastery system. I think these new mounts having a wide array of specialties as well as faster move speed to boot are fine. No need for jumping mushrooms or free map travel through mastery. I think they actually learned there lesson through tying in too many trivial things that could have been covered better through the mastery system done more simply.

Do we know for sure there are no world bosses yet? I remember seeing a giant cannon construct thing in the initial PoF trailer, did he turn out to be a story only boss?

I'm with you on world bosses for sure if it turns out there really are none, but I can understand leaving the HoT masteries in HoT. Some could have made the leap, like Nuhoch Wallows, but if you're building a map with the kangaroo abomination mount in mind why would you then add something like bouncing mushrooms that fill the same function? Same goes for leylines, why would we need something to get us from A to B quicker or someplace otherwise inaccessible when mounts do the same thing?