[NewComputer] Looking for advice

Hi there,

After years of waiting, I’ll finally be able to buy a gaming PC ! However, I have very limited knowledge about computer’s specifications and I’d really appreciate your help.

So just to give you a bit of context, my main game will be Guild Wars 2 (and thus, I would like to run this beast with ultra settings) but also that can run the most recent games at decent fps (i.e - Final Fantasy 14, Destiny 2, The Witcher, etc). My budget is around 2400$CAN.

I did some research on the forum and on Reddit, and I found some elements of response:

* Most important thing I should be looking at is the CPU. Intel seems to be better than AMD for… reasons.

* GPU should be around GTX1060.

* SSD is a plus.

* 16GB RAM.

I did some digging and I found this: Aurora R7 (Dell) with those spec:

* Intel® Core™ i7 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

* 16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB

* NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5

* 2TB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s

**Link**: http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/pc-de-bureau-dell/aurora-r7/spd/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/daar7_f_s10f

I don’t know if this is enough, is something is “overkilled” and if I should improve a specific spec… And if Dell and Aurora are good deals more broadly.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my mistakes, english is not my native language. :)

Best,

Syrwen

Intel is better then AMD. GW2 uses the cpu more heavily compared to other games, that is why it always ran smoothly on a lower end machine as well. Due to how cpu’s Work with large programs, it works better on an intel cpu.

Ssd is more then a plus. It really makes a difference in loading times. But ssd is too expansive for storage. Just programs, os and games. I recommend having an ssd disc for os, the game , and programs. If gw2 is the only game you play, 256gb is more then enough. If not, you can still switch around (so hav the games you play most in the ssd and the rest on a hdd). Do you really need that amount of storage? Maybe go for 1tb hdd and 256gb ssd. You can also retrieve your current hdd and get a case to turn it into an external drive. It is a cheap way to gain more storage, and saves the time to transfer everything.

Last remark is about branded pc’s. Garantue is easier, but also assembled systems have a good guarantee on the parts and on the assembly. It is just a bit more a hassle. But personally never had much issues myself, as long as you buy parts and assembly at the same supplier.

Thanks for the comments (and the precious explanation). :)

Based on your advice and my previous config, here’s how that looks:

* Intel® Core™ i7 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

* 16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB

* NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5

* 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

**Link**: http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/pc-de-bureau-dell/aurora-r7/spd/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/daar7_f_s10f

**Price**: 2099$CAN

What do you think?

Is it good enough? Too expensive? Not powerful enough?

Thank you;

-Syrwen

It is good enough for high performance of the game. I still think it is overpriced cause it is branded. When using a local supplier that let me pick any part I can save 300 dollar. When I compromise on the details, I can save another 200 dollar and have the same specs that have effect on the game. Trouble is that prices differ per country, so it might be different where you live.

> @"Syrwen.8567" said:

> Hi there,

>

> After years of waiting, I’ll finally be able to buy a gaming PC ! However, I have very limited knowledge about computer’s specifications and I’d really appreciate your help.

> So just to give you a bit of context, my main game will be Guild Wars 2 (and thus, I would like to run this beast with ultra settings) but also that can run the most recent games at decent fps (i.e - Final Fantasy 14, Destiny 2, The Witcher, etc). My budget is around 2400$CAN.

>

> I did some research on the forum and on Reddit, and I found some elements of response:

> * Most important thing I should be looking at is the CPU. Intel seems to be better than AMD for… reasons.

> * GPU should be around GTX1060.

> * SSD is a plus.

> * 16GB RAM.

>

> I did some digging and I found this: Aurora R7 (Dell) with those spec:

> * Intel® Core™ i7 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

> * 16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB

> * NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5

> * 2TB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s

> **Link**: http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/pc-de-bureau-dell/aurora-r7/spd/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/daar7_f_s10f

>

> I don’t know if this is enough, is something is “overkilled” and if I should improve a specific spec… And if Dell and Aurora are good deals more broadly.

> Thanks for your help and sorry for my mistakes, english is not my native language. :)

>

> Best,

> Syrwen

>

Your budget is high and you want to play multiple games on ultra settings so I would definitely go for the 8700k, on that budget I wouldn't be looking at anything else, its the latest intel processor and best value for money right now. The GTX 1070 is an excellent choice, however at that kind of budget, with the price of the alienware PC I would expect to be able to build my own with a GTX 1080 for that price. The GTX 1070 will easily play the latest games maxxed out with excellent FPS, the 1080 is a bit overkill unless you are trying to maximise 4k potential and FPS or play with multiple monitors.

Trouble with that alienware PC which would put me off, is you don't know what brands they are using for GPU and standard ram, mobo, HD e.t.c. It might be an idea to phone them and ask exactly what parts they are so you can price check everything and see if how much they are putting on top, regardless you should be able to build it yourself cheaper or for the same price but better quality parts.

You have the advantage of being in the US as-well, so you can get parts a lot cheaper if you shop around. I know I saw the 8700k in the news, it was on sale in wall mart for the equivalent of just over £200 which is ridiculously cheap compared to prices here in the UK. You might also be able to get discount when buying multiple parts from dealers and even haggle. You can sometimes find good deals on bundles with the CPU, motherboard and GPU aswell.

As above you definitely want an SSD in there, you can just get one 250gb or 500gb for now and stick another in later or as above grab a stardard hdd if 250gb is enough for your games but you have a lot of films/music, a standard half decent SSD like samsung evo or pro SSD is fine, you won't see any fps gains from a better SSD. 16gb 2666mhz ram is great for 8700k, no need to go up in amount or speed at all, just make sure its a half decent brand.

> @"Syrwen.8567" said:

> Thanks for the comments (and the precious explanation). :)

> Based on your advice and my previous config, here’s how that looks:

>

> * Intel® Core™ i7 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

> * 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

> **Link**: http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/pc-de-bureau-dell/aurora-r7/spd/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/daar7_f_s10f

> **Price**: 2099$CAN

>

> What do you think?

> Is it good enough? Too expensive? Not powerful enough?

>

> Thank you;

> -Syrwen

I'd say these specs are pretty great.

I'll be upgrading to an SSD soon myself, hoping to see a big difference in load times.

As others have said you can build your own rig for quite a bit cheaper. A self-built PC can also include better hardware for cheaper - sometimes. But I personally encourage others to buy pre-built, especially when they're unfamiliar or uncomfortable dealing with the hardware themselves. A pre-built machine like the one above might be more expensive but you're buying a convenience as well - it's ready to go when you receive it and when something doesn't work, you don't have to troubleshoot all by yourself.

Good luck with the choice you make!

Some of the specs you have put down is not so bad but in the long term it's all about affordability and the ability to play other games besides Guild Wars 2. If you're looking for longevity, the unfortunate reality is bolted down to the ability to design your own system. However, I have mostly positive vibes about Dell as a whole -- but do expand your options and do more research! You might find an equivalent setup for less.

> @"Syrwen.8567" said:

> Thanks for the comments (and the precious explanation). :)

> Based on your advice and my previous config, here’s how that looks:

>

> * 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

> **Price**: 2099$CAN

>

> What do you think?

> Is it good enough? Too expensive? Not powerful enough?

>

> Thank you;

> -Syrwen

This looks fantastic, but take a look into the support channels and see where your upgrade capabilities lie. 16GB is plenty for gaming, and the CPU as a significant edge. The 1070 is one of the more powerful models (and also more expensive) but the 8GB is just a bit on the overkill. If you don't really play games that require such a bleeding edge, try getting a 4GB option instead.

The PCIe SSD is signifcantly faster because it's tied to the bus, but with my mileage, a SSD that runs via SATA III (6Gb/s) is more durable. Everything in this line is high-end, but the only pinch I can see is the price, because you are paying for brand. If you're willing to put the money down, try looking for similar-level alternatives (even if your SSD comes as SATA and not PCI-e) that might be cheaper, but don't forget to check the reputation of the brand. :)

Ultimately, the cheapest option is a build-it-yourself but I understand people who can't do that -- if you feel it will be worth the money, I'd say this is very solid and will last you quite a few years.

One thing I would like to note is an issue with RAM on Dell/Alienware PCs. Unless they changed it, all the 16GB options are single channel 16GB. A single 16GB will generally perform worse than 2x 8GB. This means you would have to go with the 32GB option or get a custom PC from a different place, which there are others that should ship to Canada.

Hello there,

Thank you for your amazing help. For a newbie like me, this is much appreciated. :]

However, I still have some questions here!

> “As above you definitely want an SSD in there, you can just get one 250gb or 500gb for now and stick another in later or as above grab a stardard hdd if 250gb is enough for your games but you have a lot of films/music, a standard half decent SSD like samsung evo or pro SSD is fine, you won't see any fps gains from a better SSD. 16gb 2666mhz ram is great for 8700k, no need to go up in amount or speed at all, just make sure its a half decent brand.”

At the moment, I picked “_256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)_”. I have another option for **+50$** : “_256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)_”. Is it worth it?

> “One thing I would like to note is an issue with RAM on Dell/Alienware PCs. Unless they changed it, all the 16GB options are single channel 16GB. A single 16GB will generally perform worse than 2x 8GB.”

- Please find below all the possible options with Aurora:

*_16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)_ **(Included in price)**

*_ 16GB Single Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)_ **(+50$)**

- I don’t see any 2x 8GB option… Is it worth it to go with the second option, that is more expensive?

Last question: with “_Intel® Core™ i7 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)_”, it requires an Liquid Cooled Power Supply/Chassis. I have no idea what it is, and I took the cheapest option, meaning: “_Alienware™ 460 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling_”. There is another option, more expensive (**+50$**), which is “_Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling_”.

What is the difference? Again, is it worth it?

If you have other good deals in your hands, do not hesitate to share! As a newbie, I am focused on Aurora R7 because there are ton of good reviews on Internet but maybe I missed something better and cheaper…

Thank you again, you guys are amazing!

-Syrwen

> @"Syrwen.8567" said:

> Hello there,

>

> Thank you for your amazing help. For a newbie like me, this is much appreciated. :]

> However, I still have some questions here!

>

> > “As above you definitely want an SSD in there, you can just get one 250gb or 500gb for now and stick another in later or as above grab a stardard hdd if 250gb is enough for your games but you have a lot of films/music, a standard half decent SSD like samsung evo or pro SSD is fine, you won't see any fps gains from a better SSD. 16gb 2666mhz ram is great for 8700k, no need to go up in amount or speed at all, just make sure its a half decent brand.”

> At the moment, I picked “_256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)_”. I have another option for **+50$** : “_256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)_”. Is it worth it?

> > “One thing I would like to note is an issue with RAM on Dell/Alienware PCs. Unless they changed it, all the 16GB options are single channel 16GB. A single 16GB will generally perform worse than 2x 8GB.”

> - Please find below all the possible options with Aurora:

> *_16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)_ **(Included in price)**

> *_ 16GB Single Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)_ **(+50$)**

> - I don’t see any 2x 8GB option… Is it worth it to go with the second option, that is more expensive?

>

> Last question: with “_Intel® Core™ i7 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)_”, it requires an Liquid Cooled Power Supply/Chassis. I have no idea what it is, and I took the cheapest option, meaning: “_Alienware™ 460 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling_”. There is another option, more expensive (**+50$**), which is “_Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling_”.

> What is the difference? Again, is it worth it?

>

> If you have other good deals in your hands, do not hesitate to share! As a newbie, I am focused on Aurora R7 because there are ton of good reviews on Internet but maybe I missed something better and cheaper…

>

> Thank you again, you guys are amazing!

> -Syrwen

>

Dell/Alienware doesn't offer a 2x 8GB as an option to encourage you to upgrade from the 1x 16GB to 2x 16GB (32GB). This means you would have to spend more to get the proper performance. The difference between single channel and dual channel can be rather significant when the difference does matter.

As for the Power Supply question, 850 Watts is for multiple high end graphics card, this means for what you're getting 460 Watts is going to be enough, and going higher would only lower any potential noise.

As for alternatives, the lowest of all the pre-builts as of this moment comes from CyberPower PC:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1KGJXY

It has better memory (faster and 2 sticks), a better gpu (overclocked, better cooling), and a better power supply (600 Watt non-generic). There's also room possibly in your budget to upgrade that to a 1070ti, but keep in mind shipping to Canada is 100$ as well as taxes for your area. I would suggest dropping the 8700k down to an 8600k and go with a better graphics card though.

If you live near any shops that build PCs you can also buy the parts and bring it to them too.

Your second spec looks fine if you're happy with the price and warranty. Dell should be lower hassle with the latter and a sensible purchase for a newbie.

The only hassle is the single stick of 16GB Ram. One sidestep is to buy AS IS and purchase your own 2x8GB stick and sell the 16GB (you will not make much of a loss). Alternatively you could go as is, and bide your time till RAM prices drop. Performance will be reduced for GW2 but you will have the option to check this out yourself then make a decision (may actually be a minor performance hit for GW2). Whatever, your 2nd spec has only one problem which can be delayed till after purchase. There is no performance benefit for GW2 (and most games) for RAM over 8GB in total size. Note the price of the PC probably factors in the annoyance of a single stick, as this will make it unpopular with gamers - if your mainly playing GW2 then you can capitalise on this as the PC is an overkill for GW2.

It's a mote point whether you really need dual channel 2666mHz ram for GW2, Intel DDR3 PCs ran at 1600mHz and 2666 isn't really that far off 3200. So it is quite possible you will not see a great benefit for GW2 in going from Single to Dual. on a DDR4 platform. Games actually differ quite a bit in this area.

The chief reason for a SSD of some sort is not so much GW2 loading times but Windows Updater 10, which seems to find mechanical drives an excuse to grind and grind and grind ... The second reason to put the OS on a smallish drive is much easier maintenance. Never Never put Windows Updater 10 on a large mechanical drive as per most retail sells.

2666 MT RAM is really slow for todays standards, especially for a 6 core processor. I would get at least 3200CL14

modern processors are bandwith and latency starved, so you want to get the best memory the mainboard your mainboard supports and even try to overclock its sub timings further yourself

and more than 16GB of RAM is useless at the moment unless you do professional work

Thanks again for your insights.

Unfortunately, I am completely lost. Before opening this thread, I was confident with my choice and I just wanted to do some tweaks in the config. Now, I have the feeling that Aurora is not a good choice and I can not find another option – as I do not want to build my own config because I am not enough confident.

Aurora seems to be pretty expensive with all the needed config : with i7 8700K, GTX1070 and 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD, it is around 2600$CAN without taxes (so around 2900$CAN). I do not have this budget, especially for a config with only 16GB, 2666MHz (so it is not possible to have 8GB x2 with more than 3200MHz as you suggested). And I can not find another option on Internet to have the right configuration in order to play Guild Wars 2 with **max settings**...

Do you have any idea ?

Your previous build (Cyberpower) was fine but really expensive with taxes + shipping in Canada.

If one of you could tell me, step by step, setting by setting, what I should look at, it would be awesome (because **I do not want the most powerful gaming PC, as I only play Guild Wars 2 and maybe ESO or FF14**. I just want to play those games with **max config** so, I guess, I will not have any trouble to play recent games with high options - am I right?).

I am really sorry - I am trying my best to understand and find the right desktop, but it is really complicated for a newbie like me.

Thank you again and sorry again for my english,

-A poor little thing completely lost.

> @"Syrwen.8567" said:

> Thanks again for your insights.

> Unfortunately, I am completely lost. Before opening this thread, I was confident with my choice and I just wanted to do some tweaks in the config. Now, I have the feeling that Aurora is not a good choice and I can not find another option – as I do not want to build my own config because I am not enough confident.

>

> Aurora seems to be pretty expensive with all the needed config : with i7 8700K, GTX1070 and 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD, it is around 2600$CAN without taxes (so around 2900$CAN). I do not have this budget, especially for a config with only 16GB, 2666MHz (so it is not possible to have 8GB x2 with more than 3200MHz as you suggested). And I can not find another option on Internet to have the right configuration in order to play Guild Wars 2 with **max settings**...

>

> Do you have any idea ?

> Your previous build (Cyberpower) was fine but really expensive with taxes + shipping in Canada.

> If one of you could tell me, step by step, setting by setting, what I should look at, it would be awesome (because **I do not want the most powerful gaming PC, as I only play Guild Wars 2 and maybe ESO or FF14**. I just want to play those games with **max config** so, I guess, I will not have any trouble to play recent games with high options - am I right?).

>

> I am really sorry - I am trying my best to understand and find the right desktop, but it is really complicated for a newbie like me.

>

> Thank you again and sorry again for my english,

> -A poor little thing completely lost.

You can drop your 8700k down to an 8700, as an 8700k is only worth the money if you know how to overclock, or go with an 8600. You will be saving ~70 to ~150 USD depending on which, and another ~20-30USD on sticking with a stock cooler too since you wouldn't be overclocking. If you play at only 1080p resolution you can drop the 1070 down to a 1060 6GB and you would save another ~150 to 200 USD.