Crackling/popping sounds in GW2 only.

So I reinstalled the game again after a very long break.

One of the first things I noticed was this crackling sound ingame. I checked my drivers, all good there. Messed around with all sorts of ingame sound options but nothing fixed it.

I recorded some footage from ingame hoping to catch the audio crackling, but when I close the game down and check the footage it's flawless. Yet when I check the footage while the game is running the crackling is very much there.

So something about the game running is messing with my audio, it's happening on both my headset and my surround sound speakers.

Anyone got any idea what the issue might be here?

> @"Celestial.2914" said:

> I recorded some footage from ingame hoping to catch the audio crackling, but when I close the game down and check the footage it's flawless.

That means it's a playback issue with the game, not a sound issue per se.

* What are your system specs?

* What are your Windows sound settings?

* Did you delete all GW2 data and folders before you re-installed the game?

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> * What are your system specs?

> * What are your Windows sound settings?

> * Did you delete all GW2 data and folders before you re-installed the game?

Hi and thanks for your reply!

I'm running windows 10 64bit,

i7-6700k, gtx 1070, 16gb ddr3.

Not sure what you mean by sound settings, but I'll throw some pictures in here.

![](https://www.dropbox.com/s/afaank2vljfbcjq/sound.PNG?dl=0 "")

![](https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp2ihgciy90erq5/Device.PNG?dl=0 "")

Yes, this was a clean install since I haven't played this game on this particular pc before.

Disable all of your playback devices except the one you're using. If you're not using the built-in realtek at all, you can completely disable it under the BIOS if you want. Under playback devices, right click your device, select properties, enhancements, and check disable all enhancements. You can also try lowering the quality under the advanced tab. Back under playback devices, if this device can be configured, set it to basic stereo. Under recording devices, disable everything. Under GW2's sound options, manually select your device and set the sound quality to fastest, then restart. If this fixes the problem, you can undo parts of this at a time to figure out what was causing the interference.

If your playback device has additional configuration software, you'll need to also check its configuration. If your headphones use software to emulate surround sound, it can cause it. If you're using any other audio enhancing software, uninstall it.

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> Disable all of your playback devices except the one you're using. If you're not using the built-in realtek at all, you can completely disable it under the BIOS if you want. Under playback devices, right click your device, select properties, enhancements, and check disable all enhancements. You can also try lowering the quality under the advanced tab. Back under playback devices, if this device can be configured, set it to basic stereo. Under recording devices, disable everything. Under GW2's sound options, manually select your device and set the sound quality to fastest, then restart. If this fixes the problem, you can undo parts of this at a time to figure out what was causing the interference.

>

> If your playback device has additional configuration software, you'll need to also check its configuration. If your headphones use software to emulate surround sound, it can cause it. If you're using any other audio enhancing software, uninstall it.

So I did most of what you said + reinstalled the game. Didn't work, still getting the audio issues.

Not sure if I was clear before, but my speakers are using realtek, and my headset sennheiser drivers. When I switch devices while ingame the problem persists. All other sound like spotify, discord, youtube etc etc is also affected while the game is running.

Whoop I think I fixed it?

I flashed my bios with an update and turned off 'fast boot' (was suggested elsewhere). I think it fixed my issue cause I'm ingame for like 5 minutes now where the crackling always started within 10 seconds of loading in.

Thanks for all the help though guys <3

> @"Celestial.2914" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > * What are your system specs?

> > * What are your Windows sound settings?

> > * Did you delete all GW2 data and folders before you re-installed the game?

>

> Hi and thanks for your reply!

>

> I'm running windows 10 64bit,

> i7-6700k, gtx 1070, 16gb ddr3.

>

> Not sure what you mean by sound settings, but I'll throw some pictures in here.

>

> ![](https://www.dropbox.com/s/afaank2vljfbcjq/sound.PNG?dl=0 "")

>

> ![](https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp2ihgciy90erq5/Device.PNG?dl=0 "")

>

> Yes, this was a clean install since I haven't played this game on this particular pc before.

You have two sets of speakers activated under Playback Devices, which could be responsible for the issue. You should disable the one you are not using.

Also, check your Recording Devices and make sure everything (besides your mic and what else you might currently use) is disabled as well.