Laptop GTX1070 - FPS from 20-60

Hi everyone, this is my first post so I hope it's in the correct place.

I have recently returned to the game after purchasing a new gaming laptop. I'm wondering if the performance I'm getting is OK for the hardware I've got.

**Hardware**

Gigabyte Aero 15x

RAM - upgraded to 32GB (2x16gb) DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM, dual-channel

Storage - Samsung 960 evo 500gb m.2 pcie

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q - 8192 MB, Core: 1215 MHz, Memory: 8000 MHz, GDDR5, 256-bit bus, ForceWare 388.00, Optimus

Processor - Intel Core i7-7700HQ

**Performance**

On most maps I stay around 40-60fps on max settings. However, in some areas of PoT it drops below 30. Busy areas like Lions Arch drop below 30, but I expected that with the number of people present. Interestingly, no matter how low i put the graphics settings I can't get above 70fps.

I'm not a very tech-savvy person but I did expect a bit better performance from the hardware (e.g. mostly around 60fps), as i see YouTube footage with much higher FPS. I'm wondering if my performance is about as expected or if it suggests my hardware may be faulty.

Thanks for your help!

Max settings = supersample (upscaling) put it to native.

Ask devs, if they will finally change this old engine/API. We are still on DX9. There is no way of using modern and old hardware efficiently. Maybe they will change engine, complete remake and maybe we will see some new features which is capable on modern GPUs (which are already old - GCN/maxwell).

Game engine and APi are really old, but since people still use even older hardware there is no change to improve performance on modern hardware.

Devs should know that performance and graphics are effecting gameplay.

This game does not need max settings to look great. I'm using an asus strix laptop with a 3GB 1060 and just running the game on default gave me horrible fps drops. Now, dunno how you like to see players or not, but aside from dropping render sampling from supersample to native, I also lowered the number of other players to minimum. Anti aliasing. You can set this to none and use NVidia control panel or NVidia inspector for a more efficient version of the same thing. If your laptop has G-sync (which should, and comes enabled by default), keep v-sync off. The rest of the settings shouldn't need to be lowered unless for personal preference or when doing more heavy gaming (pvp, wvw)

You've got a great rig but it's overkill for this game and you're never going to be able to achieve the performance that you're probably expecting to be getting because of limitations with the engine that it runs on. It uses an old directx version which does not support multi-threaded rendering meaning the very best you can do to improve your performance right now would be to overclock, seeing as better single-core performance will improve the ability for your CPU to communicate with your GPU.

It is also possible that you have some background applications that conflict with the game itself and make it run slower for some reason. Additionally there could be some windows setting that you have enabled that you would not want to have. For example, my brother had enormous problems on his system a while ago and we discovered he had superfetch enabled. Disabled it and voila, problem was gone. Try and see what you have enabled in startup.

Windows key + R to open up "run" and type in "msconfig" and check what's under the startup tab and try disabling things that you don't need to be running.

GPU = Rendering the graphics of objects and environments, simple term, making things colourful.

CPU = Rendering the movement of objects.

MMOs are CPU intensive games, as it is constantly recalculating positioning of players and spell effects, so it gets worse as more moving objects around you.

The topic of "upgrade to DX11/DX12/Vulcan" has been brought up multiple times over the years, and have had input from devs and other players who are software engineers; DX11/DX12/Vulcan doesn't help much with multi-threading because how multi-threading works.

here's a reading

[The Trouble with Multi-Core Computers](https://www.technologyreview.com/s/406760/the-trouble-with-multi-core-computers/ "The Trouble with Multi-Core Computers")

Even if a program can distribute calculations onto multiple cores, the program still will hit a wall due to the 'commanding' core

You give 100 instructions to the 'commanding' core, but the 'commanding' core can only take hold 80 at a time, it will distribute 80 to other cores (each core can take up to 60) for calculation; it will only take the last 20, bit by bit and give it to the cores that have responded back to the 'commanding' core with an answer.

without a 'commanding core', the program will become unstable, giving incorrect responses and crash often

![](https://linuxtrainers.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/10849975_10152591681202799_3947848605304345534_n.jpg "")

> @"Jay.8347" said:

> I'm not a very tech-savvy person but I did expect a bit better performance from the hardware (e.g. mostly around 60fps), as i see YouTube footage with much higher FPS. I'm wondering if my performance is about as expected or if it suggests my hardware may be faulty.

>

Most likely that person is in an unpopulated map, or there isn't a lot happening...

One of the worst offenders is the world boss Frozen Maw, when you are on a very populated map, as soon as casts the blizzards, expect to see frame drop all the way to single digital, even my overlocked 8700K with 1080Ti with model limit (how many players/npcs will be rendered) set to lowest, it drops all the way to 13-18fps

>even my overlocked 8700K with 1080Ti with model limit (how many players/npcs will be rendered) set to lowest, it drops all the way to 13-18fps

That's a bit extreme. I havent done the frozen maw in a long time but I know my system didn't drop that far and your setup, especially the GPU, is multitudes more powerful than mine.

4690k @ 4.4ghz, r7 260x, 8gb g.skill Ripjaw.

I'll give it a whirl later on today.

Edit: [Full screen 1080p capture(settings in clip)](https://gfycat.com/ValuableFondArgentineruddyduck "Full screen 1080p capture(settings in clip)")

Recording really puts a strain on my weak GPU. Without recording I was averaging 45FPS with dips into the mid 30s when I swung the camera around quick.

Your 8700k and 1080TI should do much better than they are.