Terrible FPS in GW2 - What is wrong?

Hi,

I'm booting up this game for the first time in literally 3 years, so I don't remember how this game is supposed to run.

Regardless, here are my specs:

Radeon RX 580

16GB memory DDR5

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

I can play Black Desert Online (BDO) on max graphics with 40-60FPS, depending on where I am. This game's graphics are nowhere near as intense as BDO's, yet my FPS doesn't stabilize above 40, even on auto-detect.

Is there something I need to know? I did a little reading and learned that AMD gets shafted in GW2, but the sources were all from around 2014.

1. [unpark all CPU cores](http://www.coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility "Unpark all CPU cores").

2. If you are using hyper-threading (check CPU settings in BIOS), type "msconfig" into the Windows Search field. Select the "Boot" tab, click "Advanced", and select the maximum number of available threads there (called "processors"). Also, for system stability, check "Lock PCI".

3. If you aren't using hyper-threading, select the actual number of cores your CPU has. (No need to check "Lock PCI" in that case.)

4. Reboot your system.

> @"Ben.7180" said:

> Hi,

> I'm booting up this game for the first time in literally 3 years, so I don't remember how this game is supposed to run.

> Regardless, here are my specs:

>

> Radeon RX 580

> 16GB memory DDR5

> AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

>

> I can play Black Desert Online (BDO) on max graphics with 40-60FPS, depending on where I am. This game's graphics are nowhere near as intense as BDO's, yet my FPS doesn't stabilize above 40, even on auto-detect.

>

> Is there something I need to know? I did a little reading and learned that AMD gets shafted in GW2, but the sources were all from around 2014.

>

What MB are you running at what speed are you running your DDR4 at? Also do you have the BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6a or b?

Also what resolution are you playing at?

I run an ASRock X370 Killer with a R5 1600X, 16GB DDR4 @ 3000, RX 470 in 4K. I pull 35FPS in LA, 20-30 in massive zergs, and up to 60 roaming around.

I run max settings in game, but I have found that changing my RX 470 settings via the AMD Crimson panel helps as well.

AA Mode - Enhance settings, AA Method - Muti, Morphological Filter - Off, AF Mode - Use App, Texture - Quality, Surface Format Opt - On, VSync - On, Shader Cache - AMD Optimized, Tessellation - x16, Chill - Off.

OK guys.., as this pi**** me off..., the whole thing is GPU driver trouble. I rolled back to drivers from december and its ok now. ( I have gtx 1080, i7700k, ddr4 16gb gskill - 3200mhz, z270f gaming, everything watercooled).

BUT **I DONT WANT TO HAVE DOWNGRADED DRIVERS as i play NEW GAMES** ( and also Rocket league which is lagging at old drivers not at current ones, and newer games went back to -5fps at each..PUBG for example) .

I think Anet should figure this out as me with high end pc ( ok now mid-end) facing this issue.

As i browse through forum, many peoples faces this issue..., please Anet do something with it..I want to play gw2 and also i want to play new tittles with full FPS which i can get outta my GPU...

Also as PVP player this makes game unplayable with new drivers :(... (getting rekt in pointfight cuz laggz - and feeling like i want to smash my keyboard to wall)

> @"Kingstley.2853" said:

> OK guys.., as this pi**** me off..., the whole thing is GPU driver trouble. I rolled back to drivers from december and its ok now. ( I have gtx 1080, i7700k, ddr4 16gb gskill - 3200mhz, z270f gaming, everything watercooled).

> BUT **I DONT WANT TO HAVE DOWNGRADED DRIVERS as i play NEW GAMES** ( and also Rocket league which is lagging at old drivers not at current ones, and newer games went back to -5fps at each..PUBG for example) .

> I think Anet should figure this out as me with high end pc ( ok now mid-end) facing this issue.

> As i browse through forum, many peoples faces this issue..., please Anet do something with it..I want to play gw2 and also i want to play new tittles with full FPS which i can get outta my GPU...

> Also as PVP player this makes game unplayable with new drivers :(... (getting rekt in pointfight cuz laggz - and feeling like i want to smash my keyboard to wall)

so you are pointing your fingers at anet when it was nvidia's latest driver breaking GW2?

you are making no sense... it's like you got a busted tyre from ill-maintained road, but you are blaming it on the car maker.

don't piggyback on other people's thread requesting for useful information for your own whinings

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > @"Kingstley.2853" said:

> > OK guys.., as this pi**** me off..., the whole thing is GPU driver trouble. I rolled back to drivers from december and its ok now. ( I have gtx 1080, i7700k, ddr4 16gb gskill - 3200mhz, z270f gaming, everything watercooled).

> > BUT **I DONT WANT TO HAVE DOWNGRADED DRIVERS as i play NEW GAMES** ( and also Rocket league which is lagging at old drivers not at current ones, and newer games went back to -5fps at each..PUBG for example) .

> > I think Anet should figure this out as me with high end pc ( ok now mid-end) facing this issue.

> > As i browse through forum, many peoples faces this issue..., please Anet do something with it..I want to play gw2 and also i want to play new tittles with full FPS which i can get outta my GPU...

> > Also as PVP player this makes game unplayable with new drivers :(... (getting rekt in pointfight cuz laggz - and feeling like i want to smash my keyboard to wall)

>

> so you are pointing your fingers at anet when it was nvidia's latest driver breaking GW2?

> you are making no sense... it's like you got a busted tyre from ill-maintained road, but you are blaming it on the car maker.

>

> don't piggyback on other people's thread requesting for useful information for your own whinings

I think i gave them desired informations how to fix it, but its not true that its nvidia´s mistake..and your tire explanation is complete nonsence. Those troubles began with some PoF updates (decenber/january).... Other games are not lagging in this way, they run stable and well. So i dont think this is nVidias falut.

Maybe some Anet technician can eplain what happend.

And yes, i will cry, its my favourite game and i want to play it smooth. ( playing gw sice 2005 and never faced any issue :/)

> @"Kingstley.2853" said:

> > @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > > @"Kingstley.2853" said:

> > > OK guys.., as this pi**** me off..., the whole thing is GPU driver trouble. I rolled back to drivers from december and its ok now. ( I have gtx 1080, i7700k, ddr4 16gb gskill - 3200mhz, z270f gaming, everything watercooled).

> > > BUT **I DONT WANT TO HAVE DOWNGRADED DRIVERS as i play NEW GAMES** ( and also Rocket league which is lagging at old drivers not at current ones, and newer games went back to -5fps at each..PUBG for example) .

> > > I think Anet should figure this out as me with high end pc ( ok now mid-end) facing this issue.

> > > As i browse through forum, many peoples faces this issue..., please Anet do something with it..I want to play gw2 and also i want to play new tittles with full FPS which i can get outta my GPU...

> > > Also as PVP player this makes game unplayable with new drivers :(... (getting rekt in pointfight cuz laggz - and feeling like i want to smash my keyboard to wall)

> >

> > so you are pointing your fingers at anet when it was nvidia's latest driver breaking GW2?

> > you are making no sense... it's like you got a busted tyre from ill-maintained road, but you are blaming it on the car maker.

> >

> > don't piggyback on other people's thread requesting for useful information for your own whinings

>

> I think i gave them desired informations how to fix it, but its not true that its nvidia´s mistake..and your tire explanation is complete nonsence. Those troubles began with some PoF updates (decenber/january).... Other games are not lagging in this way, they run stable and well. So i dont think this is nVidias falut.

> Maybe some Anet technician can eplain what happend.

> And yes, i will cry, its my favourite game and i want to play it smooth. ( playing gw sice 2005 and never faced any issue :/)

But the thing is, it IS a driver issue not a game issue. If you move from an older driver set that works great to a new one and there is an issue, then the issue is the driver. I had the same issue with AMD for a while, using the early Crimson driver system I had to turn off UHD color support for my display because the driver had issues. About three releases after, the issue was resolved.

The latest nVidia drivers have been reported to have issues with GW2 by numerous nVidia players. And honestly, if the driver does not add any new features and the ones you use are working fine, then there is absolutely no reason to upgrade them. I say that from an IT standpoint. I even suggest people turn OFF Windows Hardware driver updates to prevent Windows from trying to install newer GPU drivers because of this.