Southsun Survival Rework idea

So me and my friends were talking a few days ago about all this battle royal games that have been ruling twitch and youtube , between pubgah coming out a year ago and Porknite releasing a battle royale mode a few months ago. My friends and i are what you'd probably call casuals in gw2, we play the game whenever NEW content comes around and stick for like 2 weeks then we float to other games to keep it fun. And yes we actually play those 2 battle royale games though mostly for fun.

So here is an idea one of my friends thought of while we were having fun in SAB. Why not rework southsun survival into southsun battle royale, everybody is already trying to get a piece of the pie why not gw2. Anyway, you already have a big map assuming you can use the whole map of southsun cove. As the match starts people don't drop off in parachutes but instead drop on the gliders that we get with the HoT expansion. Also people are dropped off all across the map unlike what the current southsun survival does and starts a boat load of players near each other. The mechanics are there already with in the current game mode where people don't use there profession skills but rather pick up items all across the map, maybe add a bit more range pickable weapons and tone down on the skills dead players can do because the champ karkas just cause so much havoc and are so easy to spawn. we thought about adding mounts in the game but it would be to cluttered if everyone has access to all 5 mounts, so instead just add a charr bike(the one useable from WvW) in specific locations on specific timers that can be destroyed by other players and obviously will not be overpowered. Obviously there are things we overlooked so it would be nice hear from others, suggestions?

Overall we find it sad that the daily activities like southsun survival, crab toss, sanctum sprint, and keg brawl have been lying in the dust for a few years now and would be nice if they get reworks which would push people in other competitive game modes to find more fun to play them instead of staying toxic in pvp matches, especially since pvp isnt really an esport anymore. People should just play the game mode/s that they enjoy and have fun because that what games are made for.

TL'DR: turn southsun survival into a battle royale, the game mode is already there, just needs a few changes and wont take alot of work.

The design of the current activities seems to centre on them being relatively rapid things that don't take a long time to do. A large map with people scattered hither and yon will not meet that requirement, and I'd want it to never appear in the activity rotation on days when my Daily list includes "Activity Participation", thanks. (I surprised myself this morning by winning Crab Toss with more points than all the other participants put together. I *suck* at Crab Toss.)

The game mode idea isn't a bad one, but "because everyone else is doing it" isn't automatically a good reason to add it to this (or any other) game. I think from a balance point of view you'd need to give everyone a fixed level of competence with any gliders and mounts that were provided (otherwise having HoT and/or PoF would give an advantage), even just plain "none" - see below.

Or exploit the scenario's similarity with the set-up of the manga series BTOOOM!, where the majority of the characters are unwilling participants in a *real-life* "battle royale" scenario. Everyone has a randomly selected weapon (for reasons related to the scenario, the weapons in BTOOOM! are different kinds of grenades, but for GW2, I would make a reference to SAB, and make it a big stick(1)), and moving around the island is strictly on foot.

So, overall, I like the idea itself, but I don't think it should be integrated with the Activity system. Leave Southsun Survival to be what it is, a rapid and chaotic fight, and have the battle royale scenario be what it has the potential to be.

(1) The possibilities for elaborate and painful puns in achievement names and the like would be ... epic.

Well obviously there are many ways that the devs can make it more simple and easy to learn and play. As far as the gliders go, it will work very much like a parachute does in these battle royal games, it wont be affected by the gliding mastery from the HoT expansion, the glider is only there for the purpose of being dropped in the sky, all the player will be able to do while in the glider would be to direct which way he/she will fall down to, no other skills involved.

We took into account that having expansions should not give any sort of advantage to players who have them because it will just ruin the game itself, but i guess i forgot to mention it, or thought that it would be obvious. Nonetheless we wanted it to be fair across the board for every player.

Personally i'm bored with the same 2 pvp modes in the game, WvW and conquest. It has been the same 2 pvp game modes for 5 yrs, yes stronghold was a thing for like a year but it never really got expanded upon. The game also have other pvp game modes that come seasonal such as dragon ball, lunatic inquistion, snowball mayhem but those come and go unlike the daily activities. My friends and i have been wanting a new pvp mode in gw2, such as battlegrounds like in WoW, or battle royale game mode as i mentioned before.

Lastly, i know that just because everyone is doing it, we should as well does not necessarily mean it is a good idea. All we meant is that southsun survival was already a battle royale even before battle royale became the new cash cow in the gaming industry, all it needed was a few changes by the devs and us gw2 players can enjoy a new competitive game mode instead of a dead contented that majority of the population would not even bother playing. Ofcourse not everyone may like it, all i want is that devs reuse assets that they spent their time on but players have not been playing and turn those assets into new and fun ideas.