Account suspension discussion [merged]

> @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

>

> it is all the reason needed. You run a cheat program, you are a cheater. Done. Nothing else needed.

>

> 'oh, but I don't use it for gw2' is like hoarding drugs and then saying 'I am just looking at them' when the police raids your home. Not an excuse that will get you far.

>

> You do shady stuff, you get banned. Easy.

Except your analogy is completely wrong since possession of drugs is illegal. Possession of cheat engine is not. I can legally own a gun or a knife, even carry it around with me. But I don't get arrested just for having them unless I use them to attack someone.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> Cheat engine is not a cheat program. Its an editing program. You can create viruses with notepad, doesn't mean notepad is malicious.

>

> Your points are invalid.

>

> Using cheat engine in single player games is modding, its not cheating. There are plenty of mods for single player games that give you god mod etc already. Its just more efficient this way however.

You can cheat in games with Cheat Engine and it's the most common thing where CE is being used, so you can pretty much call it a cheat program. It's nowhere close to modding like when you edit or make your own in game assets.

I think it's pretty stupid to keep CE open while playing any MMO, it's more than likely to get flagged.

> @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > Being banned for having certain programs on your computer and not cheating on the game is wrong.

> > >

> > > The way Anet did this is not by grabbing the processes that were linked to Guildwars but ALL your processes.

> > >

> > > HUGE breach of privacy and security. It'd be different if they just monitored what was linked to GW2 instead of grabbing everything and storing it on their servers. I have a major problem with that

> >

> > Monitoring involves... reporting stuff to the servers.

> > You don't even know if it's stored... not that it actually matters.

> >

> > And you run on windows, and everytime you get crashes, when you send reports, that contains info about your environment.

> >

> > Stop being so extreme with the wording. There's room to talk about whether all the bans are fair or not, but don't try to make it sound like it's a huge deal "omg never seen before and lets jump into the facebook blamewagon". If you care so much about privacy, use Tails, not Windows.

>

> You can let companies be this reckless with your security, privacy, and information if you so choose.

>

> That's on you.

>

> Don't preach to the rest of us who have a legitimate concern over such matters. People do play this game from various computers all of which were compromised.

>

> White Knight all you want just keep it to yourself

No. This is not for you to decide who can talk or not.

And beside, you don't know what you're talking about. You don't know what data you're talking about, every single word shows that you don't understand what a list of processes is and why it's widely common to see them show up in all kind of reports, nor that you understand why you can't simply regulate everything like that.

And again and always, you didn't read the ToS and now complain. You accept to play an online game, wooo, there's gonna be data exchanged between a server and a client, and monitoring is one of the things you accepted from Anet while playing the game.

You're factually wrong in just about every front, and are telling people to not say a word about it.

The only concern that can be understandable here is false positives, conspiracy theories are best left to youtube, and for people who don't use windows everyday.

> @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > If ANet was sloppy, then those players running any cheat program while playing an MMO were equally as sloppy. Either way you slice it, caught is caught and hardly makes those players innocent.

> > > >

> > > > Nobody has argued otherwise, but until after they were suspended they were not told or aware that you were not allowed to run cheat engine at the time as guild wars 2. Nobody was caught doing anything wrong because cheat engine is not inherently bad

> > >

> > > No, that's not even close to correct. Anyone that plays this game agrees to the terms and it's pretty clear 3rd party software is not allowed. They don't need to be told more than that. You're mindset is irresponsibly ... so if you aren't caught doing something, it's not wrong? I can see you have very little reason to be listened to at this point.

> >

> > Exactly.

>

> So again would you be perfectly fine with ANET banning your account for no valid reason? E.g Having a web browser installed because you could potentially use it to download cheats.

>

> We all know the answer but again i'm sure you will come up with another excuse

I'd be a bit upset and take it to support, but to be honest, I don't do anything that warrants even an investigation nor do I use any approved overlays etc. so the fear is low, and it's well-within their rights to do anything with anyone's account at any time with or without reason.

The ToS already states ANet can monitor your PC in any means they want to while you're in agreement for using their service and combined with the above, they can do whatever they want.

The only loss they can incur is maybe a paying customer of future goods. Otherwise, you as an individual mean literally nothing; In a B2P title, they've already made their expected minimum income.

In this case, a small number of script kiddies behaving stupidly and maybe a minuscule number of threatening tool devs (though these guys are probably smart enough to not get caught in such an obvious way) got caught with their pants down.

Sometimes you need to learn from mistakes. Even if innocent, running a hacking tool in the background warrants the realization that game ToS's are no joke and should be read and understood before signed like any legal contract, with the expectation the other party will use any and all means mentioned.

It's ANet's game and they can do whatever they want. It might sting, but that right is solely theirs and should be respected. The best we can do is try to comply.

> @"demitel.1340" said:

> > @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > Cheat engine is not a cheat program. Its an editing program. You can create viruses with notepad, doesn't mean notepad is malicious.

> >

> > Your points are invalid.

> >

> > Using cheat engine in single player games is modding, its not cheating. There are plenty of mods for single player games that give you god mod etc already. Its just more efficient this way however.

>

> You can cheat in games with Cheat Engine and it's the most common thing where CE is being used, so you can pretty much call it a cheat program. It's nowhere close to modding like when you edit or make your own in game assets.

>

> I think it's pretty stupid to keep CE open while playing any MMO, it's more than likely to get flagged.

I didn't keep it open, so I'm trying to figure out why I am banned. I'm new to GW2 and have played it for a month. I do have cheat engine in my PC but I have not opened it during the said month of playing. I have used it in single player games like Dragon Age Inquisition and total war Warhammer 2 where I remove things I do not like, such as food mechanic for Skaven or useless grinding in DA:I. Its a hassle to install mods in a game where its not really mod friendly, so its a very good shortcut.

> @"Vagrant.8613" said:

> > @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> >

> > it is all the reason needed. You run a cheat program, you are a cheater. Done. Nothing else needed.

> >

> > 'oh, but I don't use it for gw2' is like hoarding drugs and then saying 'I am just looking at them' when the police raids your home. Not an excuse that will get you far.

> >

> > You do shady stuff, you get banned. Easy.

>

> Except your analogy is completely wrong since possession of drugs is illegal. Possession of cheat engine is not. I can legally own a gun or a knife, even carry it around with me. But I don't get arrested just for having them unless I use them to attack someone.

except that my analogy is completely correct. There is no valid reason to run a cheat programm. Not a single one.

While there might be a valid reason to own a gun or a knife and according to your local laws you can carry them under certain circumstances because there are valid reasons, there is no valid reason to run a cheat program.

You run it, you want to cheat. You are a cheater and deserved the ban. It is really that simple.

Currently at almost 2400 upvotes and counting. It warranted a response from Anet and forced them to drop their bold tone. Lets keep at it people. We made EA bend, we can do it to Anet too, which is tiny in comparison. Anet cannot be allowed to get away with this type of action (read the reddit thread, its has very clear explanation and sufficient proof of what Anet has done and how is different than Blizzard and others, because Anet KEPT all your data) and banning people who did not cheat in any shape or form in the game.

> @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> >

> > it is all the reason needed. You run a cheat program, you are a cheater. Done. Nothing else needed.

> >

> > 'oh, but I don't use it for gw2' is like hoarding drugs and then saying 'I am just looking at them' when the police raids your home. Not an excuse that will get you far.

> >

> > You do shady stuff, you get banned. Easy.

>

> Cheat engine is not a cheat program. Its an editing program. You can create viruses with notepad, doesn't mean notepad is malicious.

>

> Your points are invalid.

>

> Using cheat engine in single player games is modding, its not cheating. There are plenty of mods for single player games that give you god mod etc already. Its just more efficient this way however.

notepad has valid uses. Cheatprogrames don't.

Even if you use it in single user games, it is still cheating. But hey, cheaters never find excuses.

> @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If ANet was sloppy, then those players running any cheat program while playing an MMO were equally as sloppy. Either way you slice it, caught is caught and hardly makes those players innocent.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Nobody has argued otherwise, but until after they were suspended they were not told or aware that you were not allowed to run cheat engine at the time as guild wars 2. Nobody was caught doing anything wrong because cheat engine is not inherently bad

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > No, that's not even close to correct. Anyone that plays this game agrees to the terms and it's pretty clear 3rd party software is not allowed. They don't need to be told more than that; there is an expectation for a level of maturity and responsibility on the players part to understand what rules, restrictions and limits are involved when they sign up for this game service.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > You're mindset is irresponsible ... so if you aren't caught doing something, it's not wrong? I can see you have very little reason to be listened to at this point.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If i recall how to use cheat engine, you had to inject it into a program before it can do anything. If its a program that can potentially cheat but they haven't got any evidence on the player cheating they need to just flag the account and do further investigation not ban with no remorse.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > You almost make it sound like Anet doesn't own the accounts that they took action on and need to PROVE to the player why they were banned. That's amusing to say the least.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I mean, what further investigation do you think should be done ... have a bunch of Anet employees sit around and watch the account in question play the game and hope they cheat? You do realize that's highly impractical no? All these calls for 'further investigation' makes it sound like you think the outcome woudl be different? makes it sound like you even have a clue of what they did and didn't do ...

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Except you don't.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > It's called hiring GM's with invisible mode on and watch the suspected players. Games like WoW, and many other do this why cant Anet do it?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Because they're busy creating content for a very hungry community desperate for it? The ironic part is I had a GM watch me solo a champion in the core game years ago before any expansion. I have no doubt players reported me for hacking because I repeatedly soloed the champion for loot.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Exchange went like this:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > GM: How's it going?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Me: Good. You?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > GM: Good. Mind if I watch you?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Me: No worries. :)

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Five minutes later. . . .

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > GM: Have a nice day. ;)

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > But, seriously, you can't expect GMs to watch all people all the time. It's just not effective.

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > This is a prime example of a GM wasting their time. I'm not saying GM should watch all players. Just players that are flagged for suspicion of hacking. They should NEVER reveal they are watching you.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Um . . . you asked for GMs to do this, and then you say they're wasting time doing it. So . . . which one is it now? Besides, that wasn't the point of me telling you that story. :)

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > I'm asking GM's to investigate flagged accounts not showing up and go "Mind if i watch you" Of course people will either log off or stop cheating completely if they had a GM show up.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > My account was flagged, the GM watched me while invisible, then he announced himself to see if my behavior would change . . . and it didn't. He did exactly what you're asking them to do. Let's not rewrite history. You asked for GMs to _watch_ players for suspicious activity. Done and done.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Doesn't get clearer than that as far as what you're asking.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Yes but in this case they didn't and that is why people are complaining

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Really? You expected a nice personal greeting from a GM asking you if it would be OK for you stop cheating? Obviously, that 'personal touch' wasn't a very practical approach in this situation, so expecting it was a little silly.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No i want ANET to do what they usually do which is investigate accounts that are flagged individually and gather evidence

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You have no idea if they didn't do that.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes we do and i have quoted them many times admitting so

> > > > >

> > > > > > 1516 accounts were suspended because we detected that the accounts were running Guild Wars 2 at the same time as one or more of the following programs

> > > >

> > > > That doesn't say how they did it. You simply don't know. You're whole argument for not being banned is based on the fact that you don't know the details of how people were caught. BRILLIANT! GL with that appeal. Personally I don't think that's going to get you very far because frankly, it's not very relevant. I doesn't matter. There is no due process here; this isn't an episode of 'Law and Order'.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > > They have some way, people were detected, DONE.

> > >

> > > Yes we know this as they admitted

> > > > 1516 accounts were suspended because we detected that the accounts were running Guild Wars 2 at the same time as one or more of the following programs

> > >

> > > ANETs customer service is usually fair in most cases and they will actually evaluate peoples accounts and look into them when they are appealing bans. Something that ANET should actually do before banning people and not ban them based on assumptions which is what people like myself are complaining about. That and the fact at first they originally said nobody would be allowed to appeal their bans something that they backtracked on.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Nobody is asking for a free pass, people who know they are innocent just want a fair chance and to have a GM look into their accounts individually.

> > >

> > >

> > > Saying "well they can do what they want its their game" is not very useful and i'm not sure why fellow consumers are throwing away their rights to defend a company.

> > >

> > > Either way i hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend

> >

> > I don't see how that's an 'admission' of not having data, proof or evidence of the violation. The violation is running 3rd party software ... they detected it. I'm not sure how it's more complicated than that.

>

> Cheat engine is NOT a cheating program despite the name, it can be used for many other things. You can create viruses with notepad, why people who had a notepad open are not banned? You can hack GW2 servers with coding programs, why are those not banned? They are even more dangerous than any cheating tool.

>

> Cheat engine is a modding tool for people who use it on single player games. Its free, its flexible and very easy to learn. Instead of constantly visiting sites like Nexus to get mods, and sometimes not even finding what you are looking for, you can change your game however you like. NOT A SINGLE COMPANY who produces single player games has a problem with this and none even try to protect their game against it. The most prominent use of it is probably Dragon Age Inquisition in witch people even used it to fix bugs.

"Cheat engine is not a cheating program"

You do realize how silly that sounds right?

> @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> > > @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> > > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> > >

> > > it is all the reason needed. You run a cheat program, you are a cheater. Done. Nothing else needed.

> > >

> > > 'oh, but I don't use it for gw2' is like hoarding drugs and then saying 'I am just looking at them' when the police raids your home. Not an excuse that will get you far.

> > >

> > > You do shady stuff, you get banned. Easy.

> >

> > Cheat engine is not a cheat program. Its an editing program. You can create viruses with notepad, doesn't mean notepad is malicious.

> >

> > Your points are invalid.

> >

> > Using cheat engine in single player games is modding, its not cheating. There are plenty of mods for single player games that give you god mod etc already. Its just more efficient this way however.

>

> notepad has valid uses. Cheatprogrames don't.

>

> Even if you use it in single user games, it is still cheating. But hey, cheaters never find excuses.

Define valid. Cheat engine is perfectly legal and you are allowed to have it and use it, as long as it does not harm other people's experience, aka not using it on online games.

You sound like people who think all guns should be banned. By your logic guns have no valid uses either. If no one have guns, you don't need to protect yourself with one and hunting is no longer required since meat is readily available. They why do we have guns?

Its none of your business or Anet's. My computer is my private space and as far as Anet is concerned, only my GW2 folder(s), what I do and say in the game and 3rd party programs attached to the game count. Everything else is private and none of their concern. My country forbids this kind of practice and Anet is breaking the laws of my country, therefore Anet is the cheater here. I just don't have the power to fight them on it.

> @"Ashamir.9574" said:

> Funny how now the fact that they banned people takes a backseat to the fact that they gathered user data they shouldn't have gathered.

>

> In my country, this is against the law. It doesn't matter what I accepted in the ToS, if it's against the law it's the against the law. If someone would bother to take them to court for this they'd be kitten.

>

> I seriously don't understand how people argue here that because it's in the ToS they are allowed to do that. I can sign any sheet that says that I am selling myself to person X to do whatever they want with me, and it will still never be legally binding, because ... guess what ... it's illegal. How hard is that to understand?

This. The anti-cheat system is useful but there need to be clear guidelines on how they collect non-gw2 data from players computer and for how long they will store it. Files names, windows user accounts, and so on should not be stored for ever on Anet server. VPN usage, tor, malware and backdoors, this is information that could cause some real harm if it got leaked.

Be transparent about it. If you collect non-gw2 information about your players computers then please be transparent and open on how it is handled and processed! With all those facebook and other privacy issues in recent times it should be obvious that some minimum respect and consideration is needed when dealing with private information. This goes even beyond the legal aspect, and should just be human consideration that such information should only be collected for a single purpose and then discarded once its fulfilled.

> @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> Currently at almost 2400 upvotes and counting. It warranted a response from Anet and forced them to drop their bold tone. Lets keep at it people. We made EA bend, we can do it to Anet too, which is tiny in comparison. Anet cannot be allowed to get away with this type of action (read the reddit thread, its has very clear explanation and sufficient proof of what Anet has done and how is different than Blizzard and others, because Anet KEPT all your data) and banning people who did not cheat in any shape or form in the game.

>

>

Or how "assume" becomes "they definitely kept everything".

Well yeah, they kept data on who used a specific set of softwares. Beyond that we can't know. Not that it really matters anyway.

You know what else they keep... character progress, your in game chat logs (no privacy outrage on that one?), your real name, address, and all that stuff a billion times more important for "privacy" than a list of banned tools you used.

Funny how people conveniently start caring about something that was always there (for a reason) when it happens to highlight some wrong usage they made of a game.

Again, if you have real privacy concerns, don't play mmos, don't use windows, and stay safely at home where the world can't know what you're cooking for your next meal. Beyond that, most of what I see here is people trying really hard to make monitoring sound like it was a big deal, while the actual big deal for the players who actually play and care about the game is these annoying cheaters.

> @"ratche.6204" said:

> > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If ANet was sloppy, then those players running any cheat program while playing an MMO were equally as sloppy. Either way you slice it, caught is caught and hardly makes those players innocent.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Nobody has argued otherwise, but until after they were suspended they were not told or aware that you were not allowed to run cheat engine at the time as guild wars 2. Nobody was caught doing anything wrong because cheat engine is not inherently bad

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > No, that's not even close to correct. Anyone that plays this game agrees to the terms and it's pretty clear 3rd party software is not allowed. They don't need to be told more than that; there is an expectation for a level of maturity and responsibility on the players part to understand what rules, restrictions and limits are involved when they sign up for this game service.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > You're mindset is irresponsible ... so if you aren't caught doing something, it's not wrong? I can see you have very little reason to be listened to at this point.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If i recall how to use cheat engine, you had to inject it into a program before it can do anything. If its a program that can potentially cheat but they haven't got any evidence on the player cheating they need to just flag the account and do further investigation not ban with no remorse.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > You almost make it sound like Anet doesn't own the accounts that they took action on and need to PROVE to the player why they were banned. That's amusing to say the least.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I mean, what further investigation do you think should be done ... have a bunch of Anet employees sit around and watch the account in question play the game and hope they cheat? You do realize that's highly impractical no? All these calls for 'further investigation' makes it sound like you think the outcome woudl be different? makes it sound like you even have a clue of what they did and didn't do ...

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Except you don't.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > It's called hiring GM's with invisible mode on and watch the suspected players. Games like WoW, and many other do this why cant Anet do it?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Because they're busy creating content for a very hungry community desperate for it? The ironic part is I had a GM watch me solo a champion in the core game years ago before any expansion. I have no doubt players reported me for hacking because I repeatedly soloed the champion for loot.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Exchange went like this:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > GM: How's it going?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Me: Good. You?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > GM: Good. Mind if I watch you?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Me: No worries. :)

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Five minutes later. . . .

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > GM: Have a nice day. ;)

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > But, seriously, you can't expect GMs to watch all people all the time. It's just not effective.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > This is a prime example of a GM wasting their time. I'm not saying GM should watch all players. Just players that are flagged for suspicion of hacking. They should NEVER reveal they are watching you.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > Um . . . you asked for GMs to do this, and then you say they're wasting time doing it. So . . . which one is it now? Besides, that wasn't the point of me telling you that story. :)

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > I'm asking GM's to investigate flagged accounts not showing up and go "Mind if i watch you" Of course people will either log off or stop cheating completely if they had a GM show up.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > My account was flagged, the GM watched me while invisible, then he announced himself to see if my behavior would change . . . and it didn't. He did exactly what you're asking them to do. Let's not rewrite history. You asked for GMs to _watch_ players for suspicious activity. Done and done.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Doesn't get clearer than that as far as what you're asking.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Yes but in this case they didn't and that is why people are complaining

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Really? You expected a nice personal greeting from a GM asking you if it would be OK for you stop cheating? Obviously, that 'personal touch' wasn't a very practical approach in this situation, so expecting it was a little silly.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > No i want ANET to do what they usually do which is investigate accounts that are flagged individually and gather evidence

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You have no idea if they didn't do that.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes we do and i have quoted them many times admitting so

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > 1516 accounts were suspended because we detected that the accounts were running Guild Wars 2 at the same time as one or more of the following programs

> > > > >

> > > > > That doesn't say how they did it. You simply don't know. You're whole argument for not being banned is based on the fact that you don't know the details of how people were caught. BRILLIANT! GL with that appeal. Personally I don't think that's going to get you very far because frankly, it's not very relevant. I doesn't matter. There is no due process here; this isn't an episode of 'Law and Order'.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > They have some way, people were detected, DONE.

> > > >

> > > > Yes we know this as they admitted

> > > > > 1516 accounts were suspended because we detected that the accounts were running Guild Wars 2 at the same time as one or more of the following programs

> > > >

> > > > ANETs customer service is usually fair in most cases and they will actually evaluate peoples accounts and look into them when they are appealing bans. Something that ANET should actually do before banning people and not ban them based on assumptions which is what people like myself are complaining about. That and the fact at first they originally said nobody would be allowed to appeal their bans something that they backtracked on.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Nobody is asking for a free pass, people who know they are innocent just want a fair chance and to have a GM look into their accounts individually.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Saying "well they can do what they want its their game" is not very useful and i'm not sure why fellow consumers are throwing away their rights to defend a company.

> > > >

> > > > Either way i hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend

> > >

> > > I don't see how that's an 'admission' of not having data, proof or evidence of the violation. The violation is running 3rd party software ... they detected it. I'm not sure how it's more complicated than that.

> >

> > Cheat engine is NOT a cheating program despite the name, it can be used for many other things. You can create viruses with notepad, why people who had a notepad open are not banned? You can hack GW2 servers with coding programs, why are those not banned? They are even more dangerous than any cheating tool.

> >

> > Cheat engine is a modding tool for people who use it on single player games. Its free, its flexible and very easy to learn. Instead of constantly visiting sites like Nexus to get mods, and sometimes not even finding what you are looking for, you can change your game however you like. NOT A SINGLE COMPANY who produces single player games has a problem with this and none even try to protect their game against it. The most prominent use of it is probably Dragon Age Inquisition in witch people even used it to fix bugs.

>

> "Cheat engine is not a cheating program"

>

> You do realize how silly that sounds right?

>

Not as silly as "points" you try to make.

Its just a name. There are literal names we give our babies that mean things like "killer", "devourer of souls", "temptress" etc... Names are pretty but meaningless.

> @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> > Currently at almost 2400 upvotes and counting. It warranted a response from Anet and forced them to drop their bold tone. Lets keep at it people. We made EA bend, we can do it to Anet too, which is tiny in comparison. Anet cannot be allowed to get away with this type of action (read the reddit thread, its has very clear explanation and sufficient proof of what Anet has done and how is different than Blizzard and others, because Anet KEPT all your data) and banning people who did not cheat in any shape or form in the game.

> >

> >

>

> Or how "assume" becomes "they definitely kept everything".

> Well yeah, they kept data on who used a specific set of softwares. Beyond that we can't know. Not that it really matters anyway.

>

> You know what else they keep... character progress, your in game chat logs (no privacy outrage on that one?), your real name, address, and all that stuff a billion times more important for "privacy" than a list of banned tools you used.

>

> Funny how people conveniently start caring about something that was always there (for a reason) when it happens to highlight some wrong usage they made of a game.

> Again, if you have real privacy concerns, don't play mmos, don't use windows, and stay safely at home where the world can't know what you're cooking for your next meal. Beyond that, most of what I see here is people trying really hard to make monitoring sound like it was a big deal, while the actual big deal for the players who actually play and care about the game is these annoying cheaters.

1. You have not read that thread

2. You have no idea what you are talking about

3. Have a nice day

> @"ratche.6204" said:

> > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Jerks.3172" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If ANet was sloppy, then those players running any cheat program while playing an MMO were equally as sloppy. Either way you slice it, caught is caught and hardly makes those players innocent.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Nobody has argued otherwise, but until after they were suspended they were not told or aware that you were not allowed to run cheat engine at the time as guild wars 2. Nobody was caught doing anything wrong because cheat engine is not inherently bad

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > No, that's not even close to correct. Anyone that plays this game agrees to the terms and it's pretty clear 3rd party software is not allowed. They don't need to be told more than that; there is an expectation for a level of maturity and responsibility on the players part to understand what rules, restrictions and limits are involved when they sign up for this game service.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > You're mindset is irresponsible ... so if you aren't caught doing something, it's not wrong? I can see you have very little reason to be listened to at this point.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If i recall how to use cheat engine, you had to inject it into a program before it can do anything. If its a program that can potentially cheat but they haven't got any evidence on the player cheating they need to just flag the account and do further investigation not ban with no remorse.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > You almost make it sound like Anet doesn't own the accounts that they took action on and need to PROVE to the player why they were banned. That's amusing to say the least.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I mean, what further investigation do you think should be done ... have a bunch of Anet employees sit around and watch the account in question play the game and hope they cheat? You do realize that's highly impractical no? All these calls for 'further investigation' makes it sound like you think the outcome woudl be different? makes it sound like you even have a clue of what they did and didn't do ...

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Except you don't.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > It's called hiring GM's with invisible mode on and watch the suspected players. Games like WoW, and many other do this why cant Anet do it?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Because they're busy creating content for a very hungry community desperate for it? The ironic part is I had a GM watch me solo a champion in the core game years ago before any expansion. I have no doubt players reported me for hacking because I repeatedly soloed the champion for loot.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Exchange went like this:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > GM: How's it going?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Me: Good. You?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > GM: Good. Mind if I watch you?

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Me: No worries. :)

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Five minutes later. . . .

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > GM: Have a nice day. ;)

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > But, seriously, you can't expect GMs to watch all people all the time. It's just not effective.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > This is a prime example of a GM wasting their time. I'm not saying GM should watch all players. Just players that are flagged for suspicion of hacking. They should NEVER reveal they are watching you.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > Um . . . you asked for GMs to do this, and then you say they're wasting time doing it. So . . . which one is it now? Besides, that wasn't the point of me telling you that story. :)

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > I'm asking GM's to investigate flagged accounts not showing up and go "Mind if i watch you" Of course people will either log off or stop cheating completely if they had a GM show up.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > My account was flagged, the GM watched me while invisible, then he announced himself to see if my behavior would change . . . and it didn't. He did exactly what you're asking them to do. Let's not rewrite history. You asked for GMs to _watch_ players for suspicious activity. Done and done.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Doesn't get clearer than that as far as what you're asking.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Yes but in this case they didn't and that is why people are complaining

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Really? You expected a nice personal greeting from a GM asking you if it would be OK for you stop cheating? Obviously, that 'personal touch' wasn't a very practical approach in this situation, so expecting it was a little silly.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > No i want ANET to do what they usually do which is investigate accounts that are flagged individually and gather evidence

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You have no idea if they didn't do that.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes we do and i have quoted them many times admitting so

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > 1516 accounts were suspended because we detected that the accounts were running Guild Wars 2 at the same time as one or more of the following programs

> > > > >

> > > > > That doesn't say how they did it. You simply don't know. You're whole argument for not being banned is based on the fact that you don't know the details of how people were caught. BRILLIANT! GL with that appeal. Personally I don't think that's going to get you very far because frankly, it's not very relevant. I doesn't matter. There is no due process here; this isn't an episode of 'Law and Order'.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > They have some way, people were detected, DONE.

> > > >

> > > > Yes we know this as they admitted

> > > > > 1516 accounts were suspended because we detected that the accounts were running Guild Wars 2 at the same time as one or more of the following programs

> > > >

> > > > ANETs customer service is usually fair in most cases and they will actually evaluate peoples accounts and look into them when they are appealing bans. Something that ANET should actually do before banning people and not ban them based on assumptions which is what people like myself are complaining about. That and the fact at first they originally said nobody would be allowed to appeal their bans something that they backtracked on.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Nobody is asking for a free pass, people who know they are innocent just want a fair chance and to have a GM look into their accounts individually.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Saying "well they can do what they want its their game" is not very useful and i'm not sure why fellow consumers are throwing away their rights to defend a company.

> > > >

> > > > Either way i hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend

> > >

> > > I don't see how that's an 'admission' of not having data, proof or evidence of the violation. The violation is running 3rd party software ... they detected it. I'm not sure how it's more complicated than that.

> >

> > Cheat engine is NOT a cheating program despite the name, it can be used for many other things. You can create viruses with notepad, why people who had a notepad open are not banned? You can hack GW2 servers with coding programs, why are those not banned? They are even more dangerous than any cheating tool.

> >

> > Cheat engine is a modding tool for people who use it on single player games. Its free, its flexible and very easy to learn. Instead of constantly visiting sites like Nexus to get mods, and sometimes not even finding what you are looking for, you can change your game however you like. NOT A SINGLE COMPANY who produces single player games has a problem with this and none even try to protect their game against it. The most prominent use of it is probably Dragon Age Inquisition in witch people even used it to fix bugs.

>

> "Cheat engine is not a cheating program"

>

> You do realize how silly that sounds right?

>

"Guild Wars" is a game in which wars between guilds don't really take place.

You do realize how silly that sounds, right? ;)

People shoot at things as a hobby. Its frowned upon by many, but its ultimately harmless. No one can arrest them.

Some people are hack enthusiasts and want to hack stuff for the thrill of it but they never hack something that can harm anyone or anything. I don't see how this is any different.

People also share computers. Account sharing is bad, but PC sharing is very common.

I don't do these things, but I simply can't run out of things to say to point out how stupid Anet's system is in regards to finding the cheaters and banning them. These people would be the victim of this ban wave and funnily enough, if you read reddit the professional hackers are pretty much safe and are not caught by these amateurish methods Anet is employing.

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > > >

> > > > Yes but in this case they didn't and that is why people are complaining

> > >

> > > I find it odd that one of the most complaining persons (in regard of counts of posts in this thread, and that means you) only has a single thread in his profile, which happens to be a complaint about exploiters. One would assume that someone asking ArenaNet do to something against exploiters wouldn't be so angry when they actually do.

> >

> > Wouldn't that means they are unbias in their remarks? Sure, anet need to do something to cheaters but they cannot ban just base on assumptions. Have we not learn anything from facebook?

>

> They can, because they need no proof. If they wanted to, they could just ban everyone who is getting a botting report, regarless of if that person is botting or afk farming or playing legitly. It is absolutely in their right to do it, because there is no court and no judge and no laws, there is ArenaNet and the terms of service which allow them to ban or suspend you whenever they want for whatever reason.

>

> Also, why mention facebook? **Facebook was not about them banning accounts** (which they probably could do as easily as ArenaNet can) but about sharing data with a third party without consent, which never happened here. Completely unrelated.

As a matter of fact, it **was** part of the reason. Facebook has been accused of banning a lot of people from Facebook just because they had certain political and/or religious views, and it's been going on for quite a while.

It was brought up by at least a couple of senators during Zuckerberg's testimony. Particularly, Rep. Joe Barton brought it up and asked about Diamond and Silk being banned by Facebook with the excuse they were 'unsafe' to the community. http://time.com/5236280/diamond-and-silk-facebook-mark-zuckerberg/

> @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> > > @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > > Currently at almost 2400 upvotes and counting. It warranted a response from Anet and forced them to drop their bold tone. Lets keep at it people. We made EA bend, we can do it to Anet too, which is tiny in comparison. Anet cannot be allowed to get away with this type of action (read the reddit thread, its has very clear explanation and sufficient proof of what Anet has done and how is different than Blizzard and others, because Anet KEPT all your data) and banning people who did not cheat in any shape or form in the game.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Or how "assume" becomes "they definitely kept everything".

> > Well yeah, they kept data on who used a specific set of softwares. Beyond that we can't know. Not that it really matters anyway.

> >

> > You know what else they keep... character progress, your in game chat logs (no privacy outrage on that one?), your real name, address, and all that stuff a billion times more important for "privacy" than a list of banned tools you used.

> >

> > Funny how people conveniently start caring about something that was always there (for a reason) when it happens to highlight some wrong usage they made of a game.

> > Again, if you have real privacy concerns, don't play mmos, don't use windows, and stay safely at home where the world can't know what you're cooking for your next meal. Beyond that, most of what I see here is people trying really hard to make monitoring sound like it was a big deal, while the actual big deal for the players who actually play and care about the game is these annoying cheaters.

>

> 1. You have not read that thread

> 2. You have no idea what you are talking about

> 3. Have a nice day

Hey more assumption, I didn't read that thread alright.

A small detail: Reading != Agreeing with everything that is said.

In this case, this guy was banned, and while his technical explanation makes sense, it doesn't mean that it's as bad as what he wants to make it sound like. And it definitely doesn't mean he knows what is and isn't saved in a server he has no access to.

But hey, common sense is hard. Meanwhile legit people were banned, commanders from WvW that were using tools and ruining other players experience, but I guess THAT doesn't matter.

Your answer does not add one bit of argument, in addition to conveniently avoiding talking about the major flaws in your argumentation. Furthermore you also know I've said quite a few times that false positives are another topic. But sure, keep blowing things out of proportion and compare things that cannot be compared, hurting the game in the process and all the players that just want cheaters to be gone. Keep completely ignoring the main issue that is cheating, and focus on your own case that could be resolved by just exchanging with anet.

Legit false positive have been and will be unbanned. That's all there is to it, everything else is regular internet bashing whenever something doesn't go their way.

> @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> > > @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> > > > @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > > > Currently at almost 2400 upvotes and counting. It warranted a response from Anet and forced them to drop their bold tone. Lets keep at it people. We made EA bend, we can do it to Anet too, which is tiny in comparison. Anet cannot be allowed to get away with this type of action (read the reddit thread, its has very clear explanation and sufficient proof of what Anet has done and how is different than Blizzard and others, because Anet KEPT all your data) and banning people who did not cheat in any shape or form in the game.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Or how "assume" becomes "they definitely kept everything".

> > > Well yeah, they kept data on who used a specific set of softwares. Beyond that we can't know. Not that it really matters anyway.

> > >

> > > You know what else they keep... character progress, your in game chat logs (no privacy outrage on that one?), your real name, address, and all that stuff a billion times more important for "privacy" than a list of banned tools you used.

> > >

> > > Funny how people conveniently start caring about something that was always there (for a reason) when it happens to highlight some wrong usage they made of a game.

> > > Again, if you have real privacy concerns, don't play mmos, don't use windows, and stay safely at home where the world can't know what you're cooking for your next meal. Beyond that, most of what I see here is people trying really hard to make monitoring sound like it was a big deal, while the actual big deal for the players who actually play and care about the game is these annoying cheaters.

> >

> > 1. You have not read that thread

> > 2. You have no idea what you are talking about

> > 3. Have a nice day

>

> Hey more assumption, I didn't read that thread alright.

> A small detail: Reading != Agreeing with everything that is said.

>

> In this case, this guy was banned, and while his technical explanation makes sense, it doesn't mean that it's as bad as what he wants to make it sound like. And it definitely doesn't mean he knows what is and isn't saved in a server he has no access to.

> But hey, common sense is hard. Meanwhile legit people were banned, commanders from WvW that were using tools and ruining other players experience, but I guess THAT doesn't matter.

>

> Your answer does not add one bit of argument, in addition to conveniently avoiding talking about the major flaws in your argumentation. Furthermore you also know I've said quite a few times that false positives are another topic. But sure, keep blowing things out of proportion and compare things that cannot be compared, hurting the game in the process and all the players that just want cheaters to be gone. Keep completely ignoring the main issue that is cheating, and focus on your own case that could be resolved by just exchanging with anet.

> Legit false positive have been and will be unbanned. That's all there is to it, everything else is regular internet bashing whenever something doesn't go their way.

You are the one assuming. What Anet did was in fact slowing down the performance of your PC, I can confirm that I was about to buy new RAM due to how slow my PC was in March. That was Anet's doing.

Second of all, the method is much more intrusive than a simple scan. It analyzes each and every file individually (hence the reported performance drop) and then sends everything it finds to GW2 servers. So if you are working on a sensitive data, Anet now has it. It doesn't just know you are running a program (such as notepad in this case) it knows the all lines written in it.

Anet most certainly failed at communication (and in this particular case basic common sense and anti-cheat development experience) as usual. Its as bad as he says and all you do is blindly defending Anet. I have yet to see an actual counter argument, so don't expect more argument from me. You are the one who is utterly lacking.

> @"Kovu.7560" said:

> Right. So I don't use any 3rd party programs at the moment, but I was thinking about getting arcdps.

> This scares the kitten out of me. Could we get clarification in a pinned topic, [perhaps this one](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/352/policy-third-party-programs-multi-boxing-macros "perhaps this one"), as to which 3rd party programs are allowed? I'd feel a lot better about it being officially written in a pinned thread and not simply heresay or some old dev post somewhere around here or reddit.

>

> Until then I'll be avoiding any of the bell-and-whistle programs.

>

> ~ Kovu

No one in the recent banwave was banned for using ArcDPS, TaCO, or ReShade/GW2Hook (mod of ReShade specially for GW2).

ArenaNet has even showcased some of these on their videos. Chris Clearly was working with the ArcDPS dev when build templates came out, which is essentially an auto-clicker to allocate your traits.

It's a safe bet TaCO and ReShade are never going to get you banned as TaCO is an overlay that simply uses the official game APIs and ReShade is just a DirectX renderer that does nothing to the actual game beyond making it look pretty or different from the default renderer.

ArcDPS as of present is safe and legal but it does read the memory, however only to provide kosher details that the game already offers. It simply takes all the legwork out of manually adding DPS numbers, it can calculate group DPS, etc. It's very handy and good.

Now if ArcDPS dev one day decides to lose his mind and add a bunch of non-kosher features as some DPS tools had done, it would become illegal.

It becomes a matter of keeping up with what ArcDPS dev is doing and despite what some posters would have you believe Anet aren't the gestapo waiting for you to step out of line to ban you.

Other DPS meter guy was given a grace period to stop being crazy and he did not.

Users were given a grace period to stop using the illegal meter and even Chris said something to the effect he blamed the dev not so much the users for going out of line with the features he included (making a kosher version and a Chinese version with non-kosher features... guess what people opted to use?)

ArcDPS dev is pretty chill and it's a pretty safe bet he's not gonna be crazy. But you never know. Obviously if he starts adding gear checking abilities, exact HP data, exact player data, etc. you'd probably better drop it.

As of writing you're good if you want to use ArcDPS, GW2Hook/ReShade, and/or TaCO. Bells and whistles are great.

___

Just practice a little common sense. Don't keep CheatEngine on while you're playing an online multiplayer game you care about. You'll trigger some anti-cheat measures and get banned.

Much less, don't download trainers to use in said game. It'll probably get you banned. Basic things some of our surely innocent friends neglected to do.

>someone threw the hammer a bit further this year and sadly everyone who botted or used any other kind of other hack in ~ 3 weeks in march (where I was on vacation >Nosebleed ) is having a 6 months break from the game now.

>The good news is, we know already what and how they did it. We assume that was their 'yearly purge' that happens literally every year when they start SAB.

>If you want to be 100% sure that it is 'ok to bot', please wait a few more days, we are taking the needed steps that this will not happen again. But their "detection" is currently not active and you can already go crazy with your bots. We are just adding a few more things to our end.

>We are updating this thread once we finished the needed changes.

>Minion goes on!

Looks like the hackers and botters arent really phased by this.

But one things looks certain, the hacker devs are way more active than anet devs when it comes to developing!

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> Too bad spyware is just a term used for all kinds of stuff and does not have an "legal definition", nor is there any law that would allow anyone prosecute someone for "spyware"

...and there is the issue.

A self admitted hack tool user, one who was caught by the ban wave himself, does a little investigation and labels an API call "spyware" in order to cast shade on A-Net because he is salty about having his account suspended. That person then posts to reddit with an inflammatory clickbait title to whip up the circular jerk that is the sub.

The rest of the cheaters rally around this.

When in fact the API call in question is not fundamentally any different than any anti-cheat mechanism.

Andwe are supposed to believe that this guy only used the tool for botting other games (never GW2 of course)?

And this highly literate computer user "just happened to leave CE open" while playing GW2 but of course he was never using it?

And this guy somehow, miraculously had old binaries from patches in march just hanging out on his local drives?

I'm not saying that what he posted about the processes isn't true. I'm saying if you have played more than 10 video games in the past 10 years, you've had this information called upon often. But the writer is someone who cheats, was caught, and is now throwing shade by using the word "spyware" just to scare people.

And if you look at this thread, it's working. Thanks in part to a small number of other cheaters who are running with the meme because they have nothing to lose.

>

> No they installed spyware on March 6th and removed it on March 27th on all our computers.

>

> You need to do your research and come back when you understand the entire situation

It was not spyware, it was only checking processes running along with GW2. It scanned for nothing more. It collected no personal information, no location data, no passwords. It is not tracking what web sites you went too. Many MMO's run programs like this to check for cheats and hacks.

> @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> To consider cheat engine to be cheating, they need to make sure cheat engine is actually attached to gw2 which they cannot prove it since all they did was gathering the list of processes running, they have no basic detection on hook and such.

Don't run a cheat engine while playing a MMO, unless you're cheating. Kinda simple right ?