How bad are necros for a casual player?

collapsed.7592

I keep reading necromancers are bad / the worst reading around here and reddit.

I used to play like 3 years ago, then I came back last year and made a chronomancer, and now I came back again. I don't have the last expansion pack ( I might get it depending on how long I'm staying for this time). I get bored easily and I like mesmers the most - the whole "illusion and trick the opponent" stuff. I always played warlocks in world of warcraft and I like the idea of a mage with pets. I like PVP more than PVEn but guild wars 2 pve is quite interesting so I'm interested in exploring it further. Levelling will probably be solo (hearts, exploring, maybe some tomes from PVP, story) - definitely no auto 80 boost.

When do necros become "bad"? I don't really know the difference between raids fractals and dungeons and realistically I won't reach end game content and if I do get that into itnthen creating a second character shouldn't really be a problem, but until then how likely am I to be able to enjoy content with necro( i.e. Be able to solo and do dungeons with others)

Necro is a good profession for WvW, PvP, and open world PvE. Its one of the best solo professions as well. You can build it for power like a Deathknight with greatsword via reaper or you can build it like a Affliction/Demonology Warlock if you wish with core necro or scourge (has a slight feel of shadow priest with the barrier mechanic of scourge). As derd said, necros will struggle with raiding and perhaps tier 4 fractals since they dont have boons to share (a few like might but other professsions do it a lot better and easier).

Dungeon - 5 person content, 2 difficulties (story mode and explorable mode with different wings) 1 in various zones.

Fractals of the mist - 5 person content, scales up in difficulty to scale 100, rotates which fractal dungeon you do based on fractal scale

Raids - 10 person content, 1 difficulty

The only thing you could have an issue with in end game necro is finding pugs for raids. Gw2 has the same issue every other game has where there are people who think that optimal === viable. Necro has two raid specs doing about 30k on the benchmarks when Weaver has top end bench mark of 37k. Most other classes have at least 1 spec between. But on fights when you have another necro your dps can sky rocket when you share epidemics.

Necro is great for soloing, zergs in wvw, a capable roamer, and does perfectly fine in fractals. For a causal player looking for a male type class I don't think you could make a better choice than necro.

Brilliant thanks for answering everyone. I know there's loads of similar questions but they often end up in debates "omg no necro is good" "no just admit it necro is crap" etc

but that sounds good i'll just continue playing this. I'm only casual at the moment as uni and exams are keeping me busy so I'm not too bothered about end game content. And if I become interested in that then I'll have my level 80 boost available, (+ like a billion tomes of knowledge )

Thank you for your help :+1: i'll keep levelling then

It's the pilot that matters, not the vehicle. That being said, there was at one point an over representation of necros, most of whom had horrible pilots. If you want to avoid being one of those, read your skills and traits. I can not tell you the number of people I've met that had no idea what their traits or skill do, or how their class in general (not just necros) works.

=) I have been reading the skills and what all the different weapons do.

At the moment working out between

scepter + dagger & staff and

dagger + warhorn & staff. But until I lock some more traits I don't think it's all that relevant as long as I don't die or take ages to kill mobs

PvE

- pros-great sustain, super fór open world, good looking ,

-Cons- necro Is selfish class with low dmg And not that much support

PVP

-pros- great burst DPS, boon corrupt or boon removal, high aoe.

-Cons-bad defensive ability, lifeforce, Slow attacks And movements(other class do 2-3 attacks while you Are ending First with same DPS)

-class dont have stability So everybody Will stun you->So you need take stunbreaks-> you Will never use 50%+ utility abilities. Everybody with range Is your hard counter, if you're Fighting in "Closer quarter" you are very deadly, you need babysitting in high levels.

Fór Casual player Is necro ok. If you wanna be tryhard ,change class. If you're not alt friendly play Mesmer, Guard,ele, Warrior they Are best in everything (PVP,wvw,PvE).

I'm not keen on ele for some reason...i love mage classes but ele just isn't really appealing to me. I do like "dark magicians" kind of classes which is why necro has been appealing to me. I was hoping minions would be able to fight on themselves and do quite a lot of damage while i sort of "support" them with buffs, etc. Turns out necromancers pets don't work quite that way.

I will see how gameplay develops then I also want to have a look into engineer and ranger.

Necro is "bad" for high end pve (raids, t4 fractals - for lower fractals and dungeons u dont really need a serious build)...but...well, between a weaver who can only place 10k of their dps down and a scourge who can place 20k+, i'd take the scourge : P As someone else said dps is more about skill than anything, and frankly in raids so long as you can get enough dps you're good no matter what. Mind that benchmarks look high - eg weaver's 40k+, but majority of people can't get anywhere close to their benchmarks during actual fights in raids/t4 fractals. So...you can easily out damage even the highest benchmark builds on a reaper so long as you know your class.

Ofc, there'll always be meta militant people who hate anything that isn't meta and will hate all necros, but those people can enjoy their toxic elitism while you actually enjoy the game with the sheer majority of people who won't hate necros as long as they can deal damage (and honestly, necro is pretty easy to get lots of damage down during active fights - much easier than most classes, actually.)

OUTSIDE of that, necro is still great. Open world is a breeze for all classes anyway, but in terms of pvp and wvw, necro excels in competitive game modes like those.

> @"Star.8401" said:

> yeah condi scourge is actually amazing for raids so i dunno about above posts.

because condi scourge doesn't represent entire class

because condi scourge is only effective when you stack 23984729387 scourges and epi bounce

some people, myself included, dont like playing condi classes and like reaper aesthetic and greatsword, and we have trash build 10k dps weaker than other classes. power soulbeast and power rev also have these problems. so you can see there's a reason why people keep kicking reapers even if they are top-tier skilled players.

> @"Star.8401" said:

> yeah condi scourge is actually amazing for raids so i dunno about above posts.

The problem is that it doesn’t apply to the majority of Raid encounters: only a few benefit from Scourge’s ace-up-their-sleeve (Epidemic) and some are against condi builds altogether (Keep Construct for one).

This results in a situation where Necro is meta against some bosses, but risk insta-kicking for others (if the Commander is a bum-bum).

This only > @"Star.8401" said:

Only if you are able to stack multiple scourges at encounters with adds. Or on encounters, that need addclear you can be a solo scourge.

But thats pretty shitty class design.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started playing this game a few weeks ago. Started a necro cuz it’s all I know. I’m a casual (mostly solo) player and it seems pretty nice being a necro. I’ve gone the Blood Magic route and typically do “support” in Champion fights, dropping wells of blood, power, and such to heal others and dot/slow mobs. Not sure if I’m actually doing huge contribution, but it feels like I am. Level 45 on my first GW2 ever. So, in open world group stuff and soloing are comfortable at this point.