[Suggestion] Separate Buff/Debuff Rows

Zoe.8310

Conditions and Boons are easy to read on the UI because they have dedicated rows for each.

Everything else is lumped into a mess that is VERY difficult to parse during combat (especially Raids/Fractals). It would be nice to be able to hide non-combat "effects" when you are in-combat, and for fight mechanic "effects" to have their own row, so that they are much easier to read and see.

It would also be helpful if they were sorted by duration and grouped by type (like all signets together, and food/utility together)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You need to rephrase the entire post, as the suggestions are meshing together, adding on top of the already confusing title.

As for the fight mechanics..... The need to stop relying on stacking icons , and build up a more intuitive approach. The very fact that you need to glance down to the buff bar to know whats going on is a failing of the UI system; especially with the amount of emphasis put into reacting to those statuses.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> You need to rephrase the entire post, as the suggestions are meshing together, adding on top of the already confusing title.

>

> As for the fight mechanics..... The need to stop relying on stacking icons , and build up a more intuitive approach. The very fact that you need to glance down to the buff bar to know whats going on is a failing of the UI system; especially with the amount of emphasis put into reacting to those statuses.

I'm not sure how the original post or title is confusing? The Buff/Debuffs are separate icons from the Conditions/Boon system, and it's that long row of Icons that is needing to be split in two

I have thought this too. In fact, I think icons should have fixed sequences and locations on the bar. Having the mess of tiny icons shifting left and right as they expire or get renewed or however it works... Color-coded borders would be great too.

I know I know, most ppl probably have no problem with it, but I would die if I had to look at the bar and try to differentiate the icons. Pity an old fogey with slow response.

(of cos, put such an option as a toggle)

I agree. At the moment it can be hard to keep track of what's affecting your character because they're all jumbled together.

My ideal (based on what I did via an addon in my other MMO) is to have boons and other useful effects on one side of the skill bar, with one line for the 12 boons and one for any other positive effects, and conditions and other negative effects on the opposite site, with one line for the 14 conditions and one for other negative effects.

The problem is where to put it. The profession mechanic (steal, switch attunement, pet interface etc.) takes up most/all of the space above the left half of the skill bar and putting them somewhere else (like on the side of the screen) adds another place we need to check during combat. So I'm not sure where would be a good location for the 2nd block of effects.

> @"casualkenny.9817" said:

> I have thought this too. In fact, I think icons should have fixed sequences and locations on the bar. Having the mess of tiny icons shifting left and right as they expire or get renewed or however it works... Color-coded borders would be great too.

>

> I know I know, most ppl probably have no problem with it, but I would die if I had to look at the bar and try to differentiate the icons. Pity an old fogey with slow response.

>

> (of cos, put such an option as a toggle)

That could work well for conditions and boons since there's a limited number of them. But I don't think it would be practical for the huge number of other effects, because there's so many of them and especially since some can't occur together. For example you can't have both Leader of the Pact and Guild Hall Movement Speed buffs because you can't be in a town and a guild hall at the same time. And some effects only occur at certain times during 1 boss fight. You'd end up with a huge list of possible effects, most of which you'd never see. Even if it was sorted so the most common are at the front/top that would mean the one you need to know about because it's unique to this fight is way over the other side where you'd never think to look.

But for conditions and boons where there's a fixed, relatively small, number of them it could work well.

(And it absolutely would need to be optional. For a start it's the kind of thing that can really frustrate people with OCD - having 2 icons, then an empty space, then another one, then 2 spaces and then a 4th icon. I know a couple of people who would have to find a way to trigger any boon or condition on themselves at any time so they could fill the spaces...or find a way to hide that bit of the interface, to be able to play. Not to mention people who are just used to the current system or prefer it.)

I wish GW2 gave us the same freedom to customise the UI that GW1 did. That way everyone could decide for themselves how they want it arranged (within some limitations) and it wouldn't matter if no one else liked your set-up. I assume there is a reason they took that ability out when making this game, but it's one thing I really miss.

I am thinking of something along the lines of (because you reminded me of combat specific ones):

1st row Boons (timed first):

(~3 slots reserved for mechanics)(1-2 slots for temp rally skills)(damage buffs) (alac/quickness etc) (def buffs) (speed and others) (proximity buffs from allies) with bold colored borders for each category

2nd row Debuffs (timed first)

(~3 slots for mechanics) (key Debuffs like vuln, dmg condis) (stuns dazes petri etc) (movement) (others) (obvious stuff like fear) - I don't pay much attention to these...

3rd row others

Pots, foods, utils, non-combat icons

This is more for in-combat use.

> @"casualkenny.9817" said:

> I am thinking of something along the lines of (because you reminded me of combat specific ones):

>

> 1st row Boons (timed first):

> (~3 slots reserved for mechanics)(1-2 slots for temp rally skills)(damage buffs) (alac/quickness etc) (def buffs) (speed and others) (proximity buffs from allies) with bold colored borders for each category

>

> 2nd row Debuffs (timed first)

> (~3 slots for mechanics) (key Debuffs like vuln, dmg condis) (stuns dazes petri etc) (movement) (others) (obvious stuff like fear) - I don't pay much attention to these...

>

> 3rd row others

> Pots, foods, utils, non-combat icons

>

>

> This is more for in-combat use.

You need a 4th row for Conditions (you don't want those part of your 2nd rod of "Debuffs" since they behave mechanically different)