Disconnect/lag

Having massive lag issues since Thursday, and as of a couple of weeks I keep disconnecting randomly. I only really play with my raid team on sun/mon night. and daily a couple of hours for fractals. Any tips or ideas on what I can do to stop this? it seems like everytime there's an update my computer has issues with this game. I play online fighting games (injustice 2) and I have no lag there. Any help greatly appreciated.

> @"Nandor The Stampede.1593" said:

> Having massive lag issues since Thursday, and as of a couple of weeks I keep disconnecting randomly. I only really play with my raid team on sun/mon night. and daily a couple of hours for fractals. Any tips or ideas on what I can do to stop this? it seems like everytime there's an update my computer has issues with this game. I play online fighting games (injustice 2) and I have no lag there. Any help greatly appreciated.

[PingPlotter have a "fix your network" guide](https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network) that actually covers figuring out where the problem is, and who to talk to about it, for latency or disconnection problems. **NOTE:** despite the "your" part, this is not about blaming you for the problem. It's just a useful guide.

To obtain the IP address to test, get into GW2 and wait until you experience the issue. Then enter the `/ip` command in chat, and that will give you back the address of the server you are connected to.

If you do that, that'll help figure out where the issue is - and if it is an ANet issue, contain the proof required to get support action, no question. If you have trouble interpreting the results, post a screenshot here and we can help you interpret it.

I am also having this issue and have had awful lag spikes anywhere between 6 PM to 3 AM EST on any given day. Other games act just fine, but GW2 lags terribly. I have been having this problem for about 10 days.

If this information helps, Comcast is my ISP, but playing other games such as Overwatch and being in Discord are not affected at all, while I can experience lag spikes of up to 5000 ping in GW2. This is making the game completely unplayable for someone who spends all his time in WvW.

quick edit: I have also sent in a ticket over a week ago with no response whatsoever. The lag is confined to GW2 only.

> @"ventusthunder.5067" said:

> I am also having this issue and have had awful lag spikes anywhere between 6 PM to 3 AM EST on any given day. Other games act just fine, but GW2 lags terribly. I have been having this problem for about 10 days.

>

> If this information helps, Comcast is my ISP, but playing other games such as Overwatch and being in Discord are not affected at all, while I can experience lag spikes of up to 5000 ping in GW2. This is making the game completely unplayable for someone who spends all his time in WvW.

>

> quick edit: I have also sent in a ticket over a week ago with no response whatsoever. The lag is confined to GW2 only.

Other than waiting for an ANet response, I'd suggest you grab [PingPlotter](https://pingplotter.com/), then when you experience the issue run the `/ip` command in-game, and run PingPlotter to that IP address.

If, as I suspect, you can't easily interpret the results yourself, post a screenshot of PingPlotter running while you experience the issue. (Ideally, at least five minutes of it running during the high lag period.)

That'll let us help identify any non-GW2 issues on the network that might be able to be resolved without ANet support.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"ventusthunder.5067" said:

> > I am also having this issue and have had awful lag spikes anywhere between 6 PM to 3 AM EST on any given day. Other games act just fine, but GW2 lags terribly. I have been having this problem for about 10 days.

> >

> > If this information helps, Comcast is my ISP, but playing other games such as Overwatch and being in Discord are not affected at all, while I can experience lag spikes of up to 5000 ping in GW2. This is making the game completely unplayable for someone who spends all his time in WvW.

> >

> > quick edit: I have also sent in a ticket over a week ago with no response whatsoever. The lag is confined to GW2 only.

>

> Other than waiting for an ANet response, I'd suggest you grab [PingPlotter](https://pingplotter.com/), then when you experience the issue run the `/ip` command in-game, and run PingPlotter to that IP address.

>

> If, as I suspect, you can't easily interpret the results yourself, post a screenshot of PingPlotter running while you experience the issue. (Ideally, at least five minutes of it running during the high lag period.)

>

> That'll let us help identify any non-GW2 issues on the network that might be able to be resolved without ANet support.

Alright, I've run some pingplotter tests. The one here is my connection to Obsidian Sanctum. The red bars definitely coincide almost perfectly for when I get high ping.

https://imgur.com/5Bjl5Ve

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"ventusthunder.5067" said:

> > Other than waiting for an ANet response, I'd suggest you grab [PingPlotter](https://pingplotter.com/), then when you experience the issue run the `/ip` command in-game, and run PingPlotter to that IP address.

> >

> > If, as I suspect, you can't easily interpret the results yourself, post a screenshot of PingPlotter running while you experience the issue. (Ideally, at least five minutes of it running during the high lag period.)

> >

> > That'll let us help identify any non-GW2 issues on the network that might be able to be resolved without ANet support.

>

> Alright, I've run some pingplotter tests. The one here is my connection to Obsidian Sanctum. The red bars definitely coincide almost perfectly for when I get high ping.

>

> https://imgur.com/5Bjl5Ve

That strongly suggests the issue lies in the Comcast network: note how the packet loss levels are 7-ish percent range from the third hop onwards?

You should contact their tech support people about this; whatever is causing the issue definitely seems to be on their network.

(Note: this doesn't mean it will hit all traffic, as they are definitely large enough to have multiple internal routes to different parts of the Internet, so perhaps only one internal link is troublesome or whatever. So, your comment that other games work fine is entirely consistent with the observation.)

Those red bars, with your comment they correlate to the lag, suggest that this is indeed happening when the service drops out for a little, before recovering. I had something similar due to a fault of some sort that just coincidentally vanished when Comcast did some work in the street a block away...

PS: There is no actual point to censoring IP addresses, and especially none to censoring the addresses beyond the first public IP address; removing the Comcast routers doesn't do anything to protect you or whatever.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"ventusthunder.5067" said:

> > > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > > @"ventusthunder.5067" said:

> > > Other than waiting for an ANet response, I'd suggest you grab [PingPlotter](https://pingplotter.com/), then when you experience the issue run the `/ip` command in-game, and run PingPlotter to that IP address.

> > >

> > > If, as I suspect, you can't easily interpret the results yourself, post a screenshot of PingPlotter running while you experience the issue. (Ideally, at least five minutes of it running during the high lag period.)

> > >

> > > That'll let us help identify any non-GW2 issues on the network that might be able to be resolved without ANet support.

> >

> > Alright, I've run some pingplotter tests. The one here is my connection to Obsidian Sanctum. The red bars definitely coincide almost perfectly for when I get high ping.

> >

> > https://imgur.com/5Bjl5Ve

>

> That strongly suggests the issue lies in the Comcast network: note how the packet loss levels are 7-ish percent range from the third hop onwards?

> You should contact their tech support people about this; whatever is causing the issue definitely seems to be on their network.

>

> (Note: this doesn't mean it will hit all traffic, as they are definitely large enough to have multiple internal routes to different parts of the Internet, so perhaps only one internal link is troublesome or whatever. So, your comment that other games work fine is entirely consistent with the observation.)

>

> Those red bars, with your comment they correlate to the lag, suggest that this is indeed happening when the service drops out for a little, before recovering. I had something similar due to a fault of some sort that just coincidentally vanished when Comcast did some work in the street a block away...

>

> PS: There is no actual point to censoring IP addresses, and especially none to censoring the addresses beyond the first public IP address; removing the Comcast routers doesn't do anything to protect you or whatever.

So it seems that from my discussion with a Comcast agent, the cables in my apartment building themselves are screwed up, so they're going to come out and take a look at that. It's just strange to me that my guildmates have had similar lag issues lately if it truly is isolated (mainly) to the cables in my building. Couldn't even go one hop outside local region without having 70% packet loss, lol. The only thing that's still strange to me is that it only really affects this game even though I also pinged Overwatch servers and they still showed the red bars.

And I just figured I didn't want to make it completely obvious where I lived due to the cities the servers were located in being shown explicitly, but that's not important. Got a Comcast guy coming tomorrow to replace the cables- thanks for your help.

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"ventusthunder.5067" said:

> > > > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > > > @"ventusthunder.5067" said:

> > > > Other than waiting for an ANet response, I'd suggest you grab [PingPlotter](https://pingplotter.com/), then when you experience the issue run the `/ip` command in-game, and run PingPlotter to that IP address.

> > > >

> > > > If, as I suspect, you can't easily interpret the results yourself, post a screenshot of PingPlotter running while you experience the issue. (Ideally, at least five minutes of it running during the high lag period.)

> > > >

> > > > That'll let us help identify any non-GW2 issues on the network that might be able to be resolved without ANet support.

> > >

> > > Alright, I've run some pingplotter tests. The one here is my connection to Obsidian Sanctum. The red bars definitely coincide almost perfectly for when I get high ping.

> > >

> > > https://imgur.com/5Bjl5Ve

> >

> > That strongly suggests the issue lies in the Comcast network: note how the packet loss levels are 7-ish percent range from the third hop onwards?

> > You should contact their tech support people about this; whatever is causing the issue definitely seems to be on their network.

> >

> > (Note: this doesn't mean it will hit all traffic, as they are definitely large enough to have multiple internal routes to different parts of the Internet, so perhaps only one internal link is troublesome or whatever. So, your comment that other games work fine is entirely consistent with the observation.)

> >

> > Those red bars, with your comment they correlate to the lag, suggest that this is indeed happening when the service drops out for a little, before recovering. I had something similar due to a fault of some sort that just coincidentally vanished when Comcast did some work in the street a block away...

> >

> > PS: There is no actual point to censoring IP addresses, and especially none to censoring the addresses beyond the first public IP address; removing the Comcast routers doesn't do anything to protect you or whatever.

>

> So it seems that from my discussion with a Comcast agent, the cables in my apartment building themselves are screwed up, so they're going to come out and take a look at that. It's just strange to me that my guildmates have had similar lag issues lately if it truly is isolated (mainly) to the cables in my building. Couldn't even go one hop outside local region without having 70% packet loss, lol. The only thing that's still strange to me is that it only really affects this game even though I also pinged Overwatch servers and they still showed the red bars.

>

> And I just figured I didn't want to make it completely obvious where I lived due to the cities the servers were located in being shown explicitly, but that's not important. Got a Comcast guy coming tomorrow to replace the cables- thanks for your help.

Glad Comcast are going to fix it! That is the best outcome. As to your guildies, I can't comment, but if they follow the same basic process we can help identify what is going on there. It is definitely possible that there are related issues, or more than one issue, or that they simply have coincidentally their own unrelated but similar problem.

As to other games, some developers do better than others at hiding these issues. So, it isn't impossible that Overwatch, etc, do better at hiding it. (Also, this is why things like streaming video buffer ahead, so that they don't notice the problem so much.)

If problems persist, repeat the diagnostics and we will see where, if anywhere, that follows. :)

I'm also having very high latency issues, solely with GW2. I had trouble logging in for the first time this morning - timed out, finally made it in - and slow response in-game. I see others are having this trouble today, too:

[Request for Server Status Page](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38361/can-we-get-a-server-status-page-on-guildwars2-com)

Over the last couple of days I've had lags, freezes, and disconnects that got so bad they made the game unplayable. It seems my wifi signal was fluctuating wildly by the second, going from full strength to zero and back again repeatedly. Turns out that after the recent Windows 10 update, a number of my drivers, including the one for my wifi adapter, needed to be updated. Don't know if that relates to issues other folks describe here but so far it seems installing the new drivers fixed my pc's issues. I've got my fingers crossed.

This kind of lag and disconnects started happening after Arena net moved their gw2 servers to Amazon. I blame anet for this move. It is an issue on their side and shame on them for not providing us with a proper fix or repairing this issue after all this time. Enough is enough!

• 2 weeks later...