The Norn are underrepresented!

GammelTier.4875

We still know so little about Norn lore.

We know about the Spirits of the Wild, that some died helping them fleeing south and some are .... somewhere. We know that there is a tooth of Jormag that a great norn hero managed to cut out of him. We know that they live a nomadic livestyle and most important it seems that they can drink ridiculous amounts. And that's pretty much it.

While at the same time look at Humans, we even know that there was some kind of fancy cat contest in Divinity's Reach. We know of several ministers, their plots and plans. Most of Season 3 of Living World was about the White Mantle, Krytan politics and human gods. Followed by an expansion that was again all about an human god. Even in raids the story is all human focused.

You just have to look at the important characters for the story at the moment. One of the only two relevent Norn characters have been killed in HoT, the other one was absent the whole PoF Story and only joined the PC recently, Braham. Now I personally am not a big fan of Braham. I understand that this is my opinion and not everyone shares that, but that whiny little boy is a shameful excuse of a Norn. Still, out of the relevant things he did:

Damaged Jormags Tooth, which lead to nothing;

Went to fight Jormag (without the PC), which did nothing;

Shaved his head, which made him bald.

Have a look at the other races, how many really story relevant characters do they have?

Humans for example: Kasmeer, Marjory, Logan, Jennah and Anise (and thats not even all of them); Asura have Taimi and now two newcomers, and the all-beloved Phlunt; Charr get Rox, Rytlock, and a whole new tribe, and Sylvari are represented by Canach, Caithe, and the whole of HoT, including Trahearne whom we even meet in the Personal Story.

But also look at the content we are getting: Out of the many Living World episodes we got since this system is in place from Season 2 forward. We had a little bit in Season 2 with "Dragons Reach" and one release in Season 3 with "A Crack in the Ice". The map itself which came with the latter one dealt more with Quaggan & Kodan than the Norn itself, but I guess we had a fair amount of Icebrood and Sons of Svanir so there is that at least.

Sylvari had a whole expansion, so did the Humans, Asura are in pretty much every story chapter ever because of Deus Ex Machima - Technology. Charr don't have too much either going on for them but at least there are interesting Charr Characters that actually there with the PC, and they had some really interesting stuff with the latest episode. Also, they are omnipresent through their conflict with the Humans.

So what about the Norn Culture? Where are the Spirits of the Wild? What are they doing against the Elder Dragons? What about the Owl Spirit that is presumably dead but still gives the PC hope when you interact with its statue in Hoelbrak? What about the Tooth of Jormag that is prophecied to start the war against Jormag when someone manages to damages it (and got damaged but nothing happend)?

Why are the Norn still so underrepresented and most of the time only a comic relief?

My spouse and I were actually talking about this just last night - the Norn are underused, and I think because that's because humans are the default in a fantasy world, and the Asura/Charr/Sylvari are so unique and fill specific niches that humans don't. Norn, though - they're basically presented as Scandinavians with totem animals. So in a sense, just a different culture of human, and they happen to be big. There are POC Norn though, and I believe I've seen reference to Norn that don't live in Hoelbrak/with the rest of the ones we see, so I'd love to find out about or visit another entirely different _culture_ of Norn, like how we have Krytan, Canthan, Elonian, and even previously Ascalonian and Orrian humans.

I agree that the Norn are the least fleshed out of all the races, and are often more comic relief than anything else. Reading some of Jora's GW1 dialogue actually hurts in my chest, because it has a feel to it that the Norn as they are written in GW2 usually do not convey.

I give you an example:

"We make our homes in these icy climes, and hunt the creatures of the mountains. We live for today and rely only on ourselves, for who knows what tomorrow will bring, or when friend will become foe. When you meet a Norn, be prepared for battle. Most will wish to test your mettle before speaking to you as an equal. Not I, though. I am hunting bigger prey."

This is a line of Jora. To me, the way this is worded almost gives me goosebumps. It makes the Norn appear both smart AND strong, even noble/regal. In GW2, they often appear pretty superficial and somewhat goofy and talk endlessly about mead. A bit of that would certainly be fine, but I wish we had some Norn like Jora, who articulate themselves in such an epic and regal manner that you cannot help but feel some respect for these proud hunters from the far north. To this day, the only thing in GW2 that really makes me feel the same as that line of Jora dialogue - is the Norn introduction cinematic.

One day, when we explore the Far Shiverpeaks, I hope to see Norn culture heavily explored. And some badass, dignified resistant Norn that really send shivers down your spine.