So... a quick question about Vlast (and the PoF story)

Loki.4871

Was Vlast being murderised the moment he appeared a... last minute (for lack of terms) decision?

Even as I was playing through, I felt Vlast being there instead of Aurene would have made more sense. You'd have an interesting perspective of what Aurene is 'supposed' to become; only more jaded and cynical, and possibly another mentor for her. To me it felt like someone did the story and then went "Oh. Wait. We need Aurene to get Balthazar's energy." That's to say nothing of the idea of a 'classic' god story where a god is forced to be mortal and learns humility, before regaining his glory/power and possibly rallying the humans. But that's another topic.

More practically, Vlast looks like he was expensive-that was a unique (as far as I'm aware) model you see once, which needed concept art, custom animations... this is a very weird thing to do for something a player is going to see once for about twenty seconds (I know you can just recycle the model for aurene later, shut up.) Is this just wild speculation and/or wishful thinking, or did vlast originally have a bigger role planned? Or was it something more mundane, like realising a dragon as strong as him chugging that sort of buff would derail your planned story?

IIRC, they said that killing Vlast off early was a choice they made early on, as this was what they wanted to do with the character; and that they liked the sort of "feeling of a missed opportunity" that arose from immediately witnessing his noble death, then collecting fragments of his memories.

• ArenaNet Staff

Yeah, we always planned for Vlast to have the tragic fate he had, and so he never really figured prominently in the Path of Fire story from the earliest days of development, but his ending did move up slightly so that it put more agency into the hands of the players to learn about his life indirectly after the fact.

> @"aandiarie.7195" said:

> If the commander can come back then can't a dragon?

There seems to be an interesting theme that humans go to a different afterlife than native Tyrians. Human get judged by their gods and systems but other races seem to just go somewhere entirely else in the mists. In theory a Rev could channel Vlast though to learn more from him

> @"KogaWolfe.1058" said:

> > @"aandiarie.7195" said:

> > If the commander can come back then can't a dragon?

>

> There seems to be an interesting theme that humans go to a different afterlife than native Tyrians. Human get judged by their gods and systems but other races seem to just go somewhere entirely else in the mists. In theory a Rev could channel Vlast though to learn more from him

Well, 4/5 commanders will not be human.

That chapter of the story is kinda bad in hindsight for many reasons...

First it gives the human gods more power and agency than they should have had, especially when they are retreating, second these kind of resurrection arcs end up devaluing death (well as far as its possible in a MMORPG where you die all the time), and you end up with a comics-like philosophy of "everyone can die, and no one stays dead".

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> Well, 4/5 commanders will not be human.

True, I was totally thinking through that section on my human mains. I always processed it as Balthazar sent us to our 'deaths' to be processed by Grenth, despite the race, and we only came back because we agreed to kill the thing stopping the workflow, but the more I think about I can't think of instances of other native races as having Ghosts or an different afterlife like humans do.

But you're right there's nothing stopping them from reviving a dragon if they want, even an Elder Dragon

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"KogaWolfe.1058" said:

> > > @"aandiarie.7195" said:

> > > If the commander can come back then can't a dragon?

> >

> > There seems to be an interesting theme that humans go to a different afterlife than native Tyrians. Human get judged by their gods and systems but other races seem to just go somewhere entirely else in the mists. In theory a Rev could channel Vlast though to learn more from him

>

> Well, 4/5 commanders will not be human.

> That chapter of the story is kinda bad in hindsight for many reasons...

> First it gives the human gods more power and agency than they should have had, especially when they are retreating, second these kind of resurrection arcs end up devaluing death (well as far as its possible in a MMORPG where you die all the time), and you end up with a comics-like philosophy of "everyone can die, and no one stays dead".

Unless they’re Uncle Ben.

Even Bucky decided to grab some glory...