Guild Wars 1 Professions in GW2

Glacial.7380

Is it possible nowadays to learn old proffesions? In Istan we can see dervishes and paragons. Some of them use even skills from GW1. For example Spearmarshal Zaeim who use song of power and anthem of flame. Are those skills as effective as 250 years ago?

And what about Livia. In living story she is using a hex. In Guild Wars 2 she was a necromancer and now she had skill named "Fragility". Is this the same spell as mesmer's Fragility in GW1? If it is, she could change her profession or keep the second one? There is still place in GW2 for hexes, beacause if i'm not wrong, Livia, for us, is the only example of person who used hex so far.

• ArenaNet Staff

I can speak for the Dervishes and Paragons since I made those skills/creatures. Mechanically all of their skills were as close to a 1 to 1 comparison to their GW1 equivalent. There were some changes I had to make, like I had Rending Sweep remove "Boons" instead of "Enchantments" but I made them as close to the originals as possible in the GW2 combat system, and their behavior, movements, animations etc. are supposed to be representative of the originals. Modern day Paragons and Dervishes can hold their own against other combatants.

Livia using a Hex was a deliberate hint to show she is using what is basically ancient magic at this point. It was seeding the revelation of her identity for people familiar with the franchise.

As for more playable professions? Waaaay above my pay grade. :p I was happy I was able to add them as NPCs, though.