A scrub asking about respeccing!

So as the title suggests I'm completely new, been playing no longer then 24 hours. I just have a couple questions.

Is it a pain to re spec? Being new I just want to run around and smash things, have fun. But I also really dont want to waste a whole lotta time levelling a toon to find that my build is completely useless haha! So if I get to 80 can I change skills around re spec things so that my character chosen isn't dead weight?

TIA

You don't even have to wait to 80. You just have all your options (other than the Elite specs until you unlock those). If you have more than one thing that can go in a utility slot, or more than one trait line learned, you can freely swap them very fast any time you're not in combat. Not as a group, there aren't templates (yet? people keep hoping), but one by one. For utilities (the 6-7-8-9-0 skills) you click on the little arrow at the top of the hotkey box to get the set of things you can put in the box. For traits (eg Trickery line for thieves) you click on the large icon to the left of the trait line to pick another one, then click on each of the three traits you want in the line (once you have unlocked said line with hero points -- at 80 you have enough points to buy every trait line other than elites).

As HardRider said, the gear is the stuff that's a little harder to freely swap, though it's easy enough to get exotic armor/weapons in several stat combos and carry those around to don when changing your build. Ascended gear takes more doing to collect but isn't needed for most of the game, just for high end fractals and for raids (and even raids can reportedly be done in exotics). However when you have the gear in your bags, it's pretty quick to swap it out piece by piece when out of combat.

> @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> @ OP, GW2 is a MMORPG. To level up a toon, gaining experience and learning by doing about the class is a big part of it. If you do not like the idea of levelling up, then maybe that GW2 is not the best choice for you?

>

> Now for your information:

> - There is a booster allowing you to go straight up to level 80 in PvE. You can buy it ( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Instant_Level_80_Ticket ).

> - One activity of the game content allows to go straight to max level (80) and get the equipment directly too: PvP. You could maybe give it a try (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Player_versus_Player)?

>

> However, as said: If you do not enjoy learning and levelling up and spending time at crafting armors (or earning lot of gold to buy them) and doing storylines and such, then the game is maybe not the one suiting you the best.

Not sure what you are going on about, but the OP asked if it is easy to respec his traits and skills and such. Why would you suggest GW2 might not be for him based on that question?

> @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > @ OP, GW2 is a MMORPG. To level up a toon, gaining experience and learning by doing about the class is a big part of it. If you do not like the idea of levelling up, then maybe that GW2 is not the best choice for you?

> >

> > Now for your information:

> > - There is a booster allowing you to go straight up to level 80 in PvE. You can buy it ( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Instant_Level_80_Ticket ).

> > - One activity of the game content allows to go straight to max level (80) and get the equipment directly too: PvP. You could maybe give it a try (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Player_versus_Player)?

> >

> > However, as said: If you do not enjoy learning and levelling up and spending time at crafting armors (or earning lot of gold to buy them) and doing storylines and such, then the game is maybe not the one suiting you the best.

>

> Not sure what you are going on about, but the OP asked if it is easy to respec his traits and skills and such. Why would you suggest GW2 might not be for him based on that question?

Sorry, misunderstood. My bad. He is saying about being new and not wanted to level up a toon to 80. I was too fast and missed the "respec" side. Just ignore my reply.

In the "olden" days of the game you could just reset your traits and get spent point back - but changes to the game systems have gotten rid of that silly inconvenient feature and now requires us to live with poor choices for 80 levels or until the time we can accrue more points to spend.

We also have the joy of earning huge amounts of experience that go directly into the bit bucket if we do not have enough Mastery Points, this ensures the player doesn't feel overly smug as he fights his way across maps flooded with obstacles and monsters.